[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College Student Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: engineering-blueprint.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1319) Image search: [Google]
engineering-blueprint.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1319
Ask a recruiter that works daily with new grads and places them at companies.

About me:
>Manufacturing, chemical, automotive, logistics companies are my primary clients
>Engineering/Chemistry/Sales/All forms of business are the general fields I work with. But I still know quite a bit about other degrees.
>No experience in medical fields, research, or anything that's scientific and not corporate.
>Knowledgeable of teaching abroad companies and their procedures (China and Japan specifically)
>I know quite a bit about resume format, the do's and the dont's, and general info.

Please, ask me as many questions as you can! New grads, current students, high school students, or people going back to school are welcome.
>>
>>16796899

Just how much of a boost does being former active-duty military aid job placement? Is it only evident in government jobs?
>>
>>16796899

MY DECISION FROM COLLEGE COMES IN TOMORROW AFTERNOON
IM FREAKING OUT OP
WILL I GET IT IN?
WHAT AM I GOING TO DO IF I DON'T?
>>
>>16796899
How much do companies care about GPA, compared to internships or prior experience? Does having a 3.7 instead of "just" a 3 give you any meaningful advantage?
>>
>>16796899

Okay I'll shoot. I'm a philosophy graduate (British by the way). Out of university I took a job as a web developer because I didn't think I had skills in anything else.

What other career options do you think I have? I have heard of other philosophy grads working in banks, advertising firms, etc. By the way I went to a good uni (Kings College London) and got a good degree result (2:1).
>>
>>16796928
Recruiting companies do not factor that in. At all. Nor do our clients. Each position is pays X dollars, and if it is dependent on experience, it almost always factors relevant experience in a corporate setting. In short, military experience to us is a sort of blank space on your resume. We know you were working, but the experience you have in the military is not what we're looking for.

>>16796935
Good luck! Don't sweat it.

>>16796945
Recruiters do not give a fuck about GPA. However, a low GPA is embarrassing. So should you put in on your resume? You can. Should you put a 2.5 on your resume? Nah.

Sometimes it's such a pain in the ass to find a new grad who is looking for a reasonable salary and has a decent personality. So as long as you have a degree, want to work, want to make as much as the position pays, and aren't a total piece of shit, we won't care about your GPA. We basically can't.
>>
>>16796899
What do companies look for? I've been out of high school for 9 months now, haven't had a job before. I would go to college but I feel like I suck at what I enjoy doing and wouldn't be able to start a career. I've scraped at the bottom of the barrel looking for work so I can have pocket change to have fun/afford college but no one will hire me, Also I've tried researching a college but the majority of 4chan said its a big waste of time and money. My back is against the wall.
>>
>>16796959
Well, depends on what you're comfortable with and are interested in. Philosophy doesn't give you any obvious technical skills, which means you'll have to start entry level. Web developer gives you some experience with computers and shit, but my personal recommendation assumes a few things.

I'm assuming
>You're interested in social interactions
>You're intelligent
>You're charismatic

If that's true, I think an entry level Human Resources position (generalist or assistant as they are known in the US) would be a good fit for position. In the US, Human Resource Managers make 70k+ after 5-10 years, and eventually HR Director's make 100k+. Not sure how that converts into pounds, but it's definitely an amazing salary and career.

Human Resources if you weren't sure, is making doing the hiring, advising, paperwork, etc for employees in a company. You'd do interviews, benefits, and all the bullshit that comes with a company's employees.

I recommend it since it's easy to do without a business degree and involves a lot of interaction.
>>
>>16796998

Thank you very much for the response anon, I really appreciate it. I have definitely been thinking it would be cool to have a job with more social interaction.

What's the gender balance like in HR? Is it pretty even between men and women?
>>
>>16796977
1. What career are you looking for or what do you enjoy studying?
2. Can you afford or devout four years to a college degree?

My advice for you would be to get a degree. If it's somewhat affordable or even if it's just community college, it's such an advantage. I have a hard time working with people with no degrees that also have no experience in anything as opposed to someone with a business degree.

My second recommended action would be to search for logistics companies and consider an entry level logistics company. Make a resume, post in on as many online job sites as possible, make sure you're asking for like 11$ max, and hope a logistics company finds you. Include keywords like "I am searching for entry level logistics" which will make your resume show up on results. Logistics isn't glamorous, but it's piss easy and can mature into a steady career over time.

In your case, I have hired people who have basic accounting knowledge for low paying accounting positions in rural areas. Additionally, people with sales experience have an easier time. The hard part is that you don't have experience in anything useful nor a degree, which is why I'm recommending the degree. Do you have any family members who could get you a simple office job? Even data entry, billing, or something could help.
>>
>>16797024
In America it's DROWNING in women. You'd have an excellent advantage just by being male.

I've had clients ask me for men specifically (illegally too) because their HR department is only women. They wanted balance. In the US, it's clogged with women who majored in psychology, sociology, or English literature. It's a good alternative for people who majored in what they like but can't find something.
>>
>>16797031
I thought that might be the case. As a bloke, facing the prospect of a job mostly done by women... Makes my balls shrivel, haha.

I have thought in the future maybe I will try and do an economics degree or something. Something that can get me some good solid business skills that a company would hire me for.
>>
>>16797043
Yeh I know what you mean. But consider your male privilege as an advantage. You could easily be the go-to man in the office if your coworkers are ditsy. Or they could be iron ladies, who knows?

Economics degree is alright, but if it doesn't make you want to kill yourself, consider accounting. Account =/= book keeping, but instead it's a lot of analyzing the direction of the company. Is there number crunching? yeh. But is it mindless labor? hell nah. You'll never be out of work either.

But an economics degree is your typical vanilla business degree. It qualifies you for a lot of entry level business, but don't expect some fabulous corporate job. You won't be an economist.

I hope this advice has been helpful anon! I apologize for being unfamiliar with the British work economy. All this is true of the States, but I can't say with certainty this is applicable to the UK. :)
>>
>>16797031

To be fair, the kinds of skills and interests associated with psychology and sociology lend themselves naturally to the HR world.
>>
Is there such thing as a marketing job that isn;t a huge waste of time and/or a scam?
>>
What does years of military experience equate in a resume?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.