[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do I stop being manipulated by my best friend? I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: PullPush[1].jpg (4 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
PullPush[1].jpg
4 KB, 259x194
how do I stop being manipulated by my best friend? I don't know if he does it on purpose or if he is just forgetful, misreading, etc.

Examples:
>says we should go out, his treat
>forgets wallet
>always wants to split at restaurant, says he'll treat me to everything when he's got his "career"
>always says "i'm sorry, man" or "do you mind if...?" but it never sounds sincere
>always asks rhetorical questions like "hey, what do you think about doing ____? do you mind driving?" while already getting things together/dressed to go do that thing without expecting my answer

I can't figure out if it's unintentional and he's just narcissistic or if he is intentionally acting naive to manipulate me, because none of his other friends last for very long.

Random intervals with tell me how much our friendship means to him, how I'm his best friend basically family, etc. and idk it just never feels sincere, just like a pua push-pull routine. He also pats, rubs my hair like a grown man will do to a little kid to assert dominance, and it pisses me off but I feel like I'm being over sensitive.

I feel like saying something at this point (after dealing with it for 8+ years) would be ridiculous, like why do I care all of a sudden. And maybe I'm just being over sensitive and I'm subtlety offering this and he's just accepting it, like I'm the narcissist and just blaming my problems on him.
>>
Sounds like you're a pushover and haven't said no to him, so he takes you from granted.
>>
honestly I could see him being a high-functioning autist, who's trying desperately to keep the one friend who hasn't abandoned him yet, but doesn't know how (also probably poor)

I have a friend like this, sort of. He's a good dude deep down, but a lot of people don't see that and they get pissed at all the constant little power-grabs/conflicts like you're describing. Just tell him to stfu in a banter-y way.
>>
>>16795388
Hole in one

This is not much of a friend you have OP
>>
>>16795402
>tell him to stfu in a banter-y way
he always takes it really personally, like an attack and it gets really awkward.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.