[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, I need some work advice. I got picked by a guy who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: 1454018264643.jpg (73 KB, 349x1160) Image search: [Google]
1454018264643.jpg
73 KB, 349x1160
Hey /adv/, I need some work advice.

I got picked by a guy who started a game development company like a month ago to offer me to work on his first company game.

It's worth noting that I'm 19 years old and never had a work before in my life. The guy offered me a position for doing programming only in the weekends since I'm still a college student but for $100 a month, and being stupid and naive I said better make it $100 per project and he accepted instantly. I don't even get income % from the ads in the game.

The issue here is: I know I'm a really good developer and that I can make him a really polished and good-looking game in no time. I know I can make his game, entirely, in 3 days tops, but the thing is that I'm not just the programmer, I'm also the artist and designer, heck, the game idea and character were mine in the first place.

How do I tell him to pay me more than $100 even though we already had a deal? Nothing written on paper, though. How much should I ask?
>>
>>16793110
Literally just tell him to fuck off and do it yourself if it's all your ideas and your doing all the work like you say.

You have nothing legally binding you.
>>
>>16793110
>I'm not just the programmer, I'm also the artist and designer, heck, the game idea and character were mine in the first place
Why not just make your own game?

Also if you're going to be employed by anyone, cover your ass by getting an employment contract.

And why the fuck would you agree to such a shit arrangement in the first place?
>>
>>16793545
Discussion went so fast I just accepted out of nowhere without realizing what I did. I'm also really desperate to work on the industry.
>>
File: 1430785378308.gif (1 MB, 266x268) Image search: [Google]
1430785378308.gif
1 MB, 266x268
>>16793110

>im 19
>I can program, draw/animate, debug, and push into production a full game in 3 days
>>
Nigga just go full Zuckerberg on this loser and make the game under your own indie label and flip him the bird on your first purchase
>>
>>16793559
I can though, with an engine, but I can. That's the kind of shit you learn when you participate in over 15 game jams all by yourself. You get to know what your limits are and how to plan and work really fast.
>>
File: 1376274378900.jpg (71 KB, 473x312) Image search: [Google]
1376274378900.jpg
71 KB, 473x312
>>16793589
>>
>>16793616
What about it?
>>
>>16793625

Not only are you a flaming retard if you think you can push a game that isnt a steaming pile of trash out the door in 3 days when you are doing 100% of the work but you are also vain beyond measure
>>
>>16793549
Well this isn't the way to work in the industry. If you're as good at this as you think you are, you should be able to do this on your own in your spare time and rake in 100% of the profits. Why bother with the other guy at all?
>>
File: 1447174834030.gif (1 MB, 268x304) Image search: [Google]
1447174834030.gif
1 MB, 268x304
>>16793635
Do you not know what a game jam is? People gather to make games in 48 hours or less. It's a common thing devs have been doing for years now and I've attended to many in the past.
I think you're assuming that I'm gonna work on some sort of Call of Duty and not a simple Flappy Bird-kind of shit. I'm working on a simpleton single-input mobile game, anon.

>>16793642
I have released apps to the PlayStore in the past and make profits from it, but I'm only in my second semester of College, and I think it is really impressive that I already have the opportunity to work on my field work so I want to put that shit on my curriculum/portfolio.
>>
>>16793658
>I have released apps to the PlayStore in the past and make profits from it, but I'm only in my second semester of College, and I think it is really impressive that I already have the opportunity to work on my field work so I want to put that shit on my curriculum/portfolio.
You can always put your own projects in your portfolio. I mean, what's going to look better - you working with someone else on a game, or you making a game on your own?
>>
>>16793666
I've talked with my career director from college, they don't give a shit. Besides, I need to do 240 hours of work in my field or else I won't be able to graduate, so I might as well make some games rather than doing shitty databases for some random company. It's either that or 240 hours of social service.

Also, the game I'm doing for this company/guy is entirely made by myself: concept, code and art.

Oh, that's one sick demonic roll btw.
>>
>>16793677
Well is working for a random company that's been in existence a month going to be enough to meet that requirement? You don't want to get to the end of your degree and find out it was for nothing.

And like I said, you should bet a formal employment contract signed between you two. Pay should be at least minimum wage, but you might be able to negotiate higher.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.