[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Perfectionism is ruining my life. It's something I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: OO.png (38 KB, 414x319) Image search: [Google]
OO.png
38 KB, 414x319
Perfectionism is ruining my life. It's something I've always struggled with in retrospect, but I've gone back to college this year in particular and I can never get anything in on time, even if everything is practically ready. One of my most recent assignments I had everything done but typing it up, days ahead of the submission date, but I ended up spending that time utterly frozen, with my fingers hovering over my keyboard because the words just wouldn't come out 'right', until I ended up throwing something together just before submissions closed, after which point it was already late. I struggle to even send emails to tutors looking for help because I'm afraid I'll say something stupid. Worst of all is how supportive and encouraging all my friends are - they have no idea that practically everything I've submitted has been late or that I don't know how I'm doing because I'm too afraid to look at any of my feedback on what I have submitted. They just keep telling me how proud of me they are and how well I'm going to do and I feel like they're expecting something of me I've already failed to deliver which makes me feel like I shouldn't even bother anymore. Would looking into therapy or cbt or something help?
>>
Yes, it definitely would. Best to start asap: the earlier the intervention, the better.
>>
>>16792624
Thanks anon, I'll get on that so.
>>
are you a grill
>>
File: grill.jpg (78 KB, 323x285) Image search: [Google]
grill.jpg
78 KB, 323x285
>>16792806
How did you find me out?
>>
>>16792834
Not that anon but this gave it away. Guys generally don't do this kind of mushy stuff.

>Worst of all is how supportive and encouraging all my friends are
>>
>>16792616
OCPD, I have it and it kills me. Find the source of anxiety and either relinquish it or just force yourself through it.

Every time you redo an essay because it's not perfect, you are making things worse.
>>
>>16793820
>tfw 2 of those 3 mushy friends are guys

>>16793889
I've never been formally diagnosed with OCDP, but I was having a lot of problems with obsessive thoughts in the recent past to the point where a doctor changed a medication I was on for a separate illness and it seemed to help. Oddly it never occurred to me that they'd be related because I'm not a 'successful' obsessive - instead I freak out and give up because I can't take the pressure I put on myself anymore. (3rd attempt at college and I'm finally doing something I want to do, have to stop fucking up.)
>>
Fuck, I have the exact same problem and I don't know what to do. Had to take a semester off because of this.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.