[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Job troubles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Hey /adv/

I quit my job a week ago and started a new one this week. I'm super confused because the new job isn't what I thought it was.

Old job/field
+Great pay
+Worked with computers
+worked in NYC
+my boss and I became friends
-3 hour total commute daily
-I worked every single evening from home and a lot of weekends.
-no commute pay
-no time to pack lunch so I spent $15-20 a day on food alone
-no benefits

New job
+Union, no chance of getting fired
+after 6 months, great benefits
+pension
+manly job that does cool stuff
+Dad is so proud of me
-I don't like the job itself. the work is not challenging or stimulating
-dirty. wet. cold. outside.
-wake up at 6am
-no computer to play with when it is slow

It sucks because my old boss said he was ready to give me a raise and everything. And this new job just...feels wrong. I have only been at it for 3 days but it just feels wrong. Maybe I miss my computer-skills. Maybe I am just nervous. Maybe it really is a bad fit.

I could try this job out a bit more and see how it goes, or maybe try to get back into that field in the future. Not sure what to do here. Can you guys help? (More info on request).
>>
Maybe you could combine the benefits of both jobs in a field that's technical and presents interesting challenges, such as welding or carpentry.
>>
>>16792427
Not so easy. This new job I got was really hard to get. It is a Union job and I can't just switch to another branch.

Also, welding or carpentry doesn't interest me. Thanks for the advice though.
>>
>>16792434
What line of work is your new job? Just curious
>>
>>16792434
>falling for the carpentry meme
this must be your first time here
>>
>>16792444

I came from computers and went into electric work.

>>16792456

Not my first time, but it has been a while. And those fields work with my current one a lot.
>>
post what your old job was, i need a job in nyc
>>
>>16792488

Haha. It was in eDiscovery. Very niche field that works for lawyers. Great pay, absurd hours and endless work in most cases.
>>
>>16792493
Looks like an interesting field at a cursory glance. I want to do forensic linguistics and expected it to be more research and drafting so this is a fascinating find, thank you
>>
>>16792500
It was a very interesting field. I liked it overall, but the hours are vicious and it is hard to get into.
>>
self bamp
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.