[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm an Econ major and hate it. I somehow have a 3.1 GPA,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 4821366_f120.jpg (6 KB, 120x172) Image search: [Google]
4821366_f120.jpg
6 KB, 120x172
I'm an Econ major and hate it. I somehow have a 3.1 GPA, but I barely scrape by and have no idea how I even pass my exams. I have 4 withdraws so far and I am a junior; 2 of those are in Econ classes.

Worse yet, I just had the worst exam of my life in an econ course. Everyone else did really bad, but I have a feeling I was among the worse (my problem set score was among the worst too). Usually, I score above average on exams.

Worse yet, I have no passion for the subject and generally cram 5 or 6 hours in advance and learn EVERYTHING, then somehow do okay.

Honestly, I like psychology and I like political science. I am horrible and awful with math.

What should I do here? I'm losing my mind, and I am depressed as hell. FYI, I'm a junior.
>>
If you don't like math, you're not going to enjoy studying economics or doing any work in related fields after you graduate.

You mention psychology and political science, but are you dead set on an academic lifestyle and office job? You're en route to a lifetime in a cubicle, relying on irresponsible coworkers and with a boss who may or may not be competent, never really seeing the fruits of the work you do.

Think about a career in something like carpentry. You're guaranteed a job for life, with great pay available if you're good, and a much more pleasant working environment. As another plus, you get the fulfilment of a job well done, when you see the beautiful wooden things that you've made. Everyone's happy!
>>
Don't spend years doing a major you hate to prepare yourself for a career doing the same exact shit you hate about your major.

Change your major m8. The career prospects aren't any worse for the ones you like.

Why are you even in Econ if you hate it? Parents?
>>
>>16792287

My greatest boon are my communication skills and ability to sell things, or make things exciting. I always thought I'd go into something like sales after I graduate, sales of a very technical good, or something like that.

I mention Political Science because I have taken quite a few courses, and I am extremely adept at it; all of my letters of recommendation come from that department and they are all attributed to my writing and communication skills.

I like Psych because I wait tables. I have read thousands of pages of books on social interaction and body language, and just psych in general OUTSIDE of class, because it genuinely interests me.

I'm no fool, I'm really not. There are not many people who can study as little as me and still do half decent, especally in the econ department. I am also already this far in my education; 130/180 credits.

Truthfully, this all comes down to horrible study habits, laziness, and lack of passion for the subject. I would be wasting my talent not do something that utilizes, well, my brain.
>>
>>16792298

I met my sister 2 years ago, and she worked at a hedge fund. Also, I did extremely well in the intro classes compared to everyone else. I'll be real; I'm pretty decent at the subject, but my lack of passion for it makes me unable to study well.

Quite simply, the more and more I take classes in Econ, the more I hate it. Why? The models we learn are ABSOLUTELY useless, I forget every single one after the term is over, and they are not even realistic with all of the absurd assumptions they make.
>>
>>16792337
Im studying physics and economics. In both subjects, you have to start with simple models to build a Base for the advanced ones later.
However, if you don't have passion for economics at all (neither micro nor macro) then you should change your major
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.