[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here worked 4 10 hour shifts instead of 5 8 hour shifts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 500x456) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 500x456
Has anyone here worked 4 10 hour shifts instead of 5 8 hour shifts?

There's a government job that I feel extremely qualified for - it also pays $26k more than I'm making now. Plus, the added bonus is that I would have three day weekends. That seems amazing.

But, 7AM - 6PM workdays sound kind of rough, and the office is 32 minutes away from my house without traffic. That means I'd get home at 7ish, and really only have 3 hours or so to do anything before it was time to get right back to bed and start all over. Right now, I'm 10 minutes away from my house and work roughly 9-5.

Any thoughts?
>>
Sounds like you'd be stupid not to take it. I feel like having a full extra day off, each week, would more than make up for the reduced free time on your work days. So you pretty much break even on the "free time" front, and you get a $26k pay increase. Tough to see a downside
>>
the extra day off is pretty great

if you have like a wife and kids it could suck since your spouse would have a lot of time without you

but if you don't have those, imo it's a nice schedule to have
>>
>>16788834

Yeah, I have no family to speak of, just two roommates. I also love to travel, so this would give me a lot more freedom to do that.

All in all, I also hate my current job, I just don't want to do the whole "grass is greener" approach and end up unhappy.
>>
File: og.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
og.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
I'm a full time uni student working roughly 40-50 hours a week 5/6 days a week . . .

If I wasn't trying to get a degree I would like to work 6(7)0 hours 4 days a week doing wage slave shit. But at least I would be chilling the other 3 full days of the week to be able to work on my own projects would w(c)ould lead to a new source of income.

Fuck what am i doin

do it op
>>
>>16788813
i preferred 4 10 hr shifts. shit, i liked 3 12 hr shifts even better. more days off=more desirable imo. i can deal with a few longer days if it means more comfy time
>>
>>16788813
It's not all "work work" but last semester I was pulling 4 12 hour days a week on campus between work and school, and this semester I'm doing 2 of them. You can manage fine, if you're not having to worry about bringing home more work.
I wound up having to get out of the house by 7:20 and getting home at 8:50 or so.

If you can move closer though, I'd do it, unless you're living somewhere nice right now and don't want to leave.
>>
>>16788872

Yeah, moving isn't an option due to a couple of factors.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.