[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I was recently offered a chance to apply to work as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 425x282
Hey /adv/

I was recently offered a chance to apply to work as a bartender at this micro brewery. I've never done anything like this before and it's definitely out of my comfort zone but I know the place well and it fits with my schedule nicely. I'd be working by myself on a busy night and make good tips. It just scares the shit out of me. Any tips? I'm in my early 20's and a dude.
>>
Bar work is stressful, underpaid, and the hours are seriously bad for your health. Think of this as a stopgap job for while you train in a better long term career, such as carpentry.

Also, be sure to get plenty of vitamins, as late nights working at a brewery mean you're going to need more to stay healthy, and you need your immune system on point.
>>
>>16788511
Only a night a week and yes I'm in school for something grander
>>
Anyone ?
>>
>>16788511
>such as carpentry
ITS YOU AGAIN ISNT IT
>>
>>16788511

Woah, slow down. It depends entirely on where you work and what the workload is.

A micro brewery means what, you'll basically be serving beer? That's a sweet job. All you need to know is how to pour a good mug of beer and know a few brands.

I used to work at a student pub for half a year. Most of my job was opening beer bottles and working the cash register. Then I worked at a few cafes and finally a beach bar, which had the heaviest workload and 7 day 12-hour shifts (sometimes 24 + private parties).

>>16788521

I don't know if it's a good idea to be by yourself on busy nights. I'm sure an instructor of some kind will be with you the first few nights. Rookie bartenders tend to freeze up when something doesn't work, but this goes away.

The best thing to remember is to be honest with your customers, never argue with them and never insult them. IDK about earning tips in a brewery, but I usually pay special attention to my customers when I'm serving them a drink, telling them about some nifty little tricks I do, or why I do certain stuff. It makes them feel special and appreciated. If you manage to feel your customers welcome and appreciated, you'll at the very least be a respected and liked bartender. Another thing is to always keep yourself busy at the bar, regardless of whether you have orders or not. A real pro once told me you get judged by the way your workplace looks. If it's sloppy and dirty, you'll get no respect because you look unprofessional, so always clean around you as much as you can.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.