[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Switching from Electrical Engineering to Physics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: sackler_physics_cropped.jpg (17 KB, 580x330) Image search: [Google]
sackler_physics_cropped.jpg
17 KB, 580x330
So /adv/,

I'm an Electrical Engineering (and Information Technology) student, 3rd semester.
I have passed only one exam, and that was Experimental Physics I, the main topic of the class was Classical Mechanics.
The other classes I had were, Basic of Electrical Engineering I+II, Informatics I (java programming),
keep in mind I have to pass these 2 exams this semester or i'll drop out.
Then there are a few other classes that I won't mention because I didn't really care about them.

Now when I look back at school times, I remember I loved physics and especially stuff invonvling Thermodynamics and Classical Mechanics.
We also had electricity, which I didn't really like (surprise!).

So now i've been thinking to change to Physics Bachelor of Science.
There are Experimental Physics classes, Theoretical Physics classes ( more about quantium mechanics and electrostatic). Also there is lots of math involved obviously.

Now, even if I had only one semester Physics in Electrical Engineering, I really enjoyed it, especially the homework we got, the way math worked behind physics and all thinking that was needed were very enjoyable.
Can't say the same about fucking circuits tho or java programming.

I spoke to some Physics B.Sci students, and they told me the following things.
a) It's gonna be very hard it requires a lot of dedication, if you want to make it through you must really want it.
b) Be ready to stay 12 hours at the university (of course not all the time studying with breaks etc)
c) You gonna need a study group.
d) if you make it through the first 3 semesters, it is very likely you will make it to the end.

In the first 3 semesters physics involve: 1. Classical Mechanics , 2. Thermodynamics, 3. Optics ( light wave with particles n shit) and some electrostatic.
That't about the experimental part.
Theoretical physics is about quantum and electrostatic and stuff like that.
The rest involves a lot of maths apparently.
>>
I reached the maximum amount of chars.

So here is my question, should I switch from Electrical Engineering to Physics?
>>
Im not a STEM major but I dont see the practical application of a BA in physics.

Honestly, Bachelors degrees have become the equivalent of GED's today. Its your masters that counts.

But a BA in EE could get you a decent job out of the gates. So just be aware that if you switch you will probably have to go further in school
>>
>>16786983
If I get a BA ofcourse I keep going and get a master.

I'm trying to choose my path, not where i'm gonna stop.
>>
>>16786976
electrical engineering is quite close to quantum physics, my suggestion is you finsh the bachelors and then get phd in theoretical physics
Also, where are you from?
>>
>>16787011
I have no idea of quantum physics and I doubt I'll manage to get my degree at my current state.

The students told me that theoretical physics is abstract, so I don't know if i'm going to enjoyed it that much.

I'm Greek and I live in Germany now.
>inb4 pay debts
>>
Do you LOVE physics? You're looking at a lot of school.

What comes to mind is my HS teacher that got a BSc in experimental physics and another in theoretical physics (took one or two years to get the other one since there was a lot of overlap in degree requirements). The first year into his master's, he quit because it just wasn't satisfying for the amount of stress and work you have to put in. Last time I heard from him, he's writing his actuary exam.

Anyway, I think there are a lot more employment options in EE and IT, if that's what matters to you.
>>
>>16787034
Let me clarify
Let's say I have 14 classes in total the first 4 semesters. ( some of them last 2 semesters).
I have passed 1 exam, Physics, which I have been enjoying the most.
I will write 2 more exams in a month.
So that's 3/13 exams for the first 3 semesters, and I got 10 more.

I have 10 semesters in total to finish my degree.

At this point I don't enjoy studying and I doubt I will end up finishing my studies.
I go to university every morning, and try to stydy for hours, but I just can't concentrate, it's like my brain shuts down and doesnt wanna do anything. I think I might be stressed.

If I switch to physics, I have a clean start and I will know some of the basics.

So you say I have more employment options if I get my EE degree, what kind of options do I have if I get my masters degree in physics?
>>
>>16787034
Oh yeah, I didn't answer your first question.
I think I do. I loved classical mechanics and thermodynamics at school,
it was actually the only class I was paying attention to and it still was like that in my first semester at uni.
I always tried to think how the things we learn can be applied in real world and how I could do it better.
>>
>>16787051
>>16787065
Hmm. There are less direct career paths, but the most typical one involves competing for research positions. As for other options, I found this on my school website. https://www.utm.utoronto.ca/careers/careers-by-major-physics A lot of them require further education.

What do you want to do in life? Since you say you like APPLYING knowledge, that makes me think engineering is something you might be more inclined to enjoy if you stick it out, as physics is way more theoretical and math based.

Why don't you try posting this in /sci/? They will be very Physics-biased, but it will give you some more insight into what it's like.
>>
>>16787104
>Why don't you try posting this in /sci/? They will be very Physics-biased, but it will give you some more insight into what it's like.

Reminder: /sci/ is for discussing topics pertaining to science and mathematics, not for helping you with your homework or helping you figure out your career path.

That's why.

So from a quick look at your list I can assume that someone with high physics education can go literaly anywhere and a get job ( or at least try) .

The 2 main reasons why I consider changing is 1) I like physics 2) I wont get my EE degree.
But maybe I will, if I try a lot.

Well applying knowledge can also be done by someone with a physics degree, in R&D.

This is a very hard decision to take, thank you for help anon.
>>
final bump
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.