[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Being responsible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
I need to get my shit together.
I need to do something instead of procrastinating all day. But I can bring myself to do it.

I make schedules, I do every kind of thing to start being more responsible and doing more productive things, but eventually I drop everything and get on the PC. It's like I'm addicted to this. Whenever I try to study, I can't concentrate and end up telling to myself "well, okay, if you can't focus then don't try to study. You won't be able to, anyway".

How can I get used to not being a piece of shit in order to become a better person?
>>
>>16786638
>I need to get my shit together.
why?

What do you want to do? Do you simply want to be productive for the sake of being productive, or do you really have a well-defined goal you want to achieve?

What exactly do you want, OP?
>>
>>16786666
>why?
Because I feel like a parasite, doing nothing. And I HAVE to study, I have to. Sooner or later the exams will come, but I keep telling myself "I'll do it later", and I'm tired of that. I've never met someone as lazy as me.
>>
>>16786638
Go to a place where you have no distractions. If you go on your pc at the house, then leave your fucking house and go to the library instead where your pc is out of reach.
>>
>>16786721
Pretty much this. I used to hang out in the school library to get work done.

Finding a study group can also help a lot (as long as it doesn't just devolve into socializing) because then you also have pressure from being around other people to get shit done.
>>
>>16786638

It may be you just need some serious consequences of fucking around to get a real sense of purpose and motivation. Just wait until you fail out of school and have to work a shitty job for a while, that might light a fire in you. Or you can avail yourself of resources available at your uni to help develop good study habits.

It often helps to break down large study tasks into little pieces. Sit down and do a single assigned problem, or read a single page, or write a single paragraph. Only focus on that single small task. Then move on the next one. Your study plan should break all tasks down as much as possible. "Write term paper" is impossible, but "Search for source of topic X" is doable, e.g..
>>
>>16786791
>work a shitty job

Dropped out and now in said shitty job. Still not motivated. I also have ADD and I can't get meds. Should I kill myself?
>>
>>16786791
>It may be you just need some serious consequences of fucking around to get a real sense of purpose and motivation. Just wait until you fail out of school and have to work a shitty job for a while, that might light a fire in you.

I think this is what I need, because it's not just about studying that this is about. I'm lazy when it comes to everything. I get so easily distracted or demotivated, I don't know what to do. Perhaps I should go to a psychologist to get some consultancy.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.