[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i have a panic disorder. i went on meds like 3 weeks ago and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: dennis.png (710 KB, 700x704) Image search: [Google]
dennis.png
710 KB, 700x704
i have a panic disorder. i went on meds like 3 weeks ago and they seem to be helping a lot, but i started feeling anxiety probably about 3 hours ago, which turned into a full blown panic attack. i calmed down but that tight chest feeling just wouldnt go away. then the panic started setting in again. now im sitting here feeling a little tight chested with a really dry mouth and throat, but other than that, physically i feel kind of ok. mentally im just fucked and i dont know why.

my panic attacks dont work like this. they are always from feeling like my heart is beating too fast or like i cant breathe. but despite a little tight chestedness its not too bad. yet im sitting here feeling just wrong, like somethings not right, and its a weird thing. im terrified from nothing. what should i do? i took a fast acting med to calm me down, but that can take like an hour and i feel like im about to lose my shit. im barely able to type. what should i do? i cant even think.
>>
>>16786099
like the fact that im posting here for advice for this shows my mental state, i wouldnt normally come to fucking 4chan for advice but i just feel so weird and out of place in some strange, explainable way. and its 2:40AM here so i cant call anybody, im completely alone.
>>
>>16786099
I, too, deal with panic disorder.

Though I won't try and tell you your business, medication is a poor substitute for actual talk therapy.

With that out of the way, here are some things you can do:

>First off, make sure your posture and body is right. Try and lay down in bed if you can. Avoid sitting up and tapping your foot.

>Read. Reading is super helpful.
>4 7 8 breathing. inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 7 seconds, exhale for 8 seconds
>go for a walk if you can.
>play puzzle games on your phone. I like Two Dots. Lay in bed and relax.

Remember, it will pass. You just aren't thinking clearly.

Breath.

It will pass.
>>
I don't have any solid advice on your more urgent need, but if you're not seeing a therapist then you probably should. They can be really helpful with anxiety and panic issues.

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/how-to-find-therapist

Sorry I can't be of more help OP, I don't really have any experience with this problem. I'll pray for you, and I hope it helps (it can hardly hurt, even if you don't believe in prayer.).
>>
>>16786108
ive already done the therapy thing. it only helps so much. im only on meds because its really the only option i have left. i had to stop working because it became such a problem. also ive never had a breathing exercise help my anxiety. mine is so bad that i get almost psychotic. ive had panic attacks that have lasted a whole day and then usually shows up later the next day. yeah, im a mess.
>>
>>16786113
thanks anon, really appreciate it.
>>
idk, i did have a bunch of caffeine today, but that was hours ago, idk if that could be having some weird effect with my meds.
>>
>>16786159
Stop drinking caffeine and you won't need any meds you fucking doofus.
>>
As someone that's been dealing with depression, generalized anxiety, and panic disorder, medications should always be a last ditch effort. Benzodiazepines are something you don't want to use consistently.

Continue therapy, it takes some time but it helps. Especially if you combine it with bibliotherapy (look up Feeling Good by David Burns).

Other things you can do to help in the mean time:

Exercise. At the very least, get 30 minutes of walking in a day.

Make sure you've eaten within the last 4 hours, getting hungry can bring about sensations that you will misconstrue as the beginning of anxiety, which in turn leads to a legitimate panic attack.

Deep breathing/meditation. You've got to earnestly do it for a good 10 minutes. Relax, it really does help.

Cut caffeine and alcohol. Alcohol is a depressant, and caffeine can give you some anxiety (or again give you an elevated heart rate and light headedness from the caffeine, which you may again misconstrue as another panic attack).
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.