[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I be honest about major depression or not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: depressedjobsearcher.jpg (49 KB, 768x491) Image search: [Google]
depressedjobsearcher.jpg
49 KB, 768x491
I’ve recently been filling out applications for different jobs at the same company since the middle of January and typically have not received any response.

They have a page in the application where you can say if you have a disability, or not, or just not answer. I have major depression and general anxiety and have been on the verge of suicide a good handful of times. The MD also causes me to have near-chronic fatigue. Medication and therapy has had little to no effect. Now I’m not stupid enough to tell them I’ve almost killed myself or that I’m prone to intense suicidal ideations, but I know from my previous two jobs that It’s intensely difficult for me to be treated and constantly act like a regular healthy person. They say at the bottom of the page they don’t discriminate, but I’m skeptical for obvious reasons.

So I’m wondering if my gut feeling is true – that I’m essentially blackballing myself by being honest about having serious illnesses.

Also, as a rule of thumb, do you recommend lying about being mentally disabled in an application or a job interview?
>>
>>16785484
Sorry, I forgot to clarify - I have been clicking on "yes, I have a disability" on this page I'm talking about.
>>
I'd be wary of letting a potential boss know about things like that. They may think you're unable to handle the job. (Idk what job you're applying for though). But also, if your boss is one of those assholes that think depression is "all in your head" you may have some problems both getting hired and being treated fairly.
>>
>DVI port on the laptop
You should find fresh stock photography instead of dragging that old janky shit on here.
>>
>>16785758
>(Idk what job you're applying for though)

Shelver and Physical Processing Clerk for a local library.
>>
No, OP, absolutely do not check that box.
I say that as someone who has major depression and anxiety myself.
Most people do not recognize any mental or emotional issues as a disability. In fact a whole lot of people get pissed off when we call it a disability. I ain't saying that's right or fair but it's reality, and if I were you (oh yeah I almost am) I would keep that shit to myself, take the job and let them deal with my shit later. Besides, there's a few screwy people working everywhere anon, they might not even notice your shit.
>>
Yeah dude, def put it on there. Its like if you made a new friend, you wouldnt hide your depression from them, would you?

If you have depression, you should wake up every day and remind yourself.

Do you have a "DEPRESSED" t shirt? I highly reccommend it so everytime you look in the mirror you can be reminded that you have depression.

Trust me man, the BEST way to get over depression is to think about it all the time, every chance you get, just hold on to your depression and never let it go
>>
>>16785710
>I have been clicking on "yes, I have a disability"
You will never be hired. You cannot be honest about this stuff. Get help and do your best.
>>
Are you in treatment? Because getting treatment is really, really important.

What my brother did was get hired, then invoke the ADA, if I recall correctly. So you could go that route.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.