[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20150523_144036.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150523_144036.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I currently work for a health insurance company as an underwriter, but I don't really like my job.

When I was in college, I wanted to be an engineer working in green technology, I had a passion for changing the world through renewable energy. But after I failed out of Mechanical engineering, I switched to Mathematics, with the hopes of getting any old decent job to pay my student loans and eventually returning to school for another technical degree of sorts. The problem is I dont know what technical degrees I should be looking into if I want to work in the renewable energy industry.

I had to take computer programming classes for my math degree, and I felt at home working on code projects, and the classes were very hands on as opposed to the types of classes in mechanical engineering and math. I felt like it fit my learning style, more of applied learning rather than studying for the exams.

Now I am 2 years out of undergrad, and time is flying by so I have to make a decision on continuing education asap. I'm trying to decide on which path I should take. I know I'm probably not gonna get accepted into a mechanical engineering masters, or a computer programming masters, and I actually don't think either of those degrees will directly apply to a job in green technologies.

I'd have to start with undergrad all over again if I want to be a renewable energy engineer. I'm most fascinated by solar energy, so maybe I should look into electrical engineering. I also understand that solar energy is more than just electronics, so does that mean I should be looking into systems engineering? I want to make sure I get back on the right path, but the thought of starting another rigorous engineering program makes me afraid of failure.
>>
Carpentry, my friend
>>
Don't have any advice for you, but as a current math major who actually loves his coursework but isn't smart enough to be an actuary, how is underwriting as a career? Is the salary nice enough to pay off student loans? Also what was your GPA and did you do any internships?
>>
>>16785218
Underwriting is a pretty good job, with a clear career path and a very marketable set of skills. The salary at entry level is around 40k-50k depending on where you live. If I stick with underwriting I could be making over 100k within 10 years. My GPA was pretty bad because I wasn't motivated after failing out of mech-e... it was 2.6. I had one internship in accounts receivable, which is just corporate term for the collection department. Typical operations support role. I have come to realize that I really hate corporate office jobs. It's so boring sitting there at your desk all day.
>>
>>16785488
Okay, cool, so I still have a chance. I also did Mech E for a year and had around a 2.7 but realized after freshman year I actually didn't want to do anything related to engineering. Got a 3.2 last semester and I'm hoping to get around a 3.4 this semester but that's almost definitely no gonna happen. Anyway, thanks for the advice in your own advice thread and I hope everything works out for you.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.