[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/isors, how do I go about looking for a place to rent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1425936518533.gif (950 KB, 191x200) Image search: [Google]
1425936518533.gif
950 KB, 191x200
Hey /adv/isors, how do I go about looking for a place to rent?

I'm a college freshman, and I'm staying in a dorm right now, but I want to move to a house next semester, and preferably over the summer as well. I've talked to a couple of friends who want to do this with me, the only problem is I don't know where to start looking for a place. Where do landlords advertise this stuff? In the paper? Online somewhere? I don't really have anyone to ask... or at least anyone who I wouldn't feel embarassed to ask. Also, what should I look for and what should I look to avoid on a lease?
>>
File: 1381177782231.jpg (228 KB, 1074x1600) Image search: [Google]
1381177782231.jpg
228 KB, 1074x1600
>>16784902
As a college freshman who decided to live off campus his first year, I can tell you that's it's a lot more effort that I expected just to maintain a place. That said, if you're sure you want to rent a place, just google "(your city name) apartments". There's all sorts of websites with basic info on location and price. Once you've found some good ones, call them and ask for a tour. Be looking for signs of age, included utilities/furniture, and their policies on noise, pets and stuff like that. Also make sure you've either got a car or a really good location. Shopping without a car sucks a ton of dick.
>>
Let me just google that for you. There you go OP, glad I could be of assistance.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google
>>
>>16784902

google apartments in your area as others said. also check out renting options via craigslist. dont give me shit about being murdered, its 2016, there are security measures in place. my recommendation is sublet for the first year. or at least six months if you can later get your own place.

sublettings good cuz it lets you figure out whats actually important in a living situation before committing to one. you can elave if it turns out to be more than you can handle as well.

for instance getting your own place... are you going to stay there even in the summer? if not how do you expect to get out of your lease? etc.
>>
I like Padmapper.com
>>
>>16785272

keep in mind that most places dont advertise this far in advance though op. looking around once now will give you an idea of prices, locations etc. next semester is this fucking september (unless you take summer classes) but most places are looking for an immediate tenant, or at best, one a month from now. no ones going to hold it for you, especially for that long. this is something you kinda wing closer to the date. maybe start looking in july and scoring a place early if its the RIGHT one.
>>
>>16785275
this and hotpads aren't bad, although I find that the type of places on those sites tends to be relatively upscale. If you're on a budget, craigslist might be your best bet.

All those sites let you filter your search by location, price, square footage, and other criteria.

I found a really cheap (room in a) apartment in my small city on craigslist a few months ago. Look for posts that have pictures (more the better) and plenty of details.

Your biggest considerations will probably be price and duration of the lease. Also, consider the possibility of one of your friends moving out unexpectedly --- will you and remaining roommates have to foot the bill? Just something to consider. Good luck.

>>16785253
and yeah, google is your friend
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.