[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Already posted this on /g, they told me I should post it here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1454546397687.jpg (155 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
1454546397687.jpg
155 KB, 425x282
Already posted this on /g, they told me I should post it here for better advice.

Part 1:

First off, sorry for my bad english.
Second, I thought about posting this on /b, but all I'd get there was probably an "OP is a faggot", and right now I have no desire for kiddie shit like that.

I am a programmer from Germany, mid-20s. Never seen an university/college from the inside, I taught myself everything I wanted to know. Over the course of the last past years I have learned how to use Linux, Gentoo specifically. I can compile kernels, I can compile custom software, I mainly code in C (more on that later), but I know jackshit about mathematics.

Whenever I look up news about IT-related topics I fall into a depression, because there are so many people who seem to be way more productive and knowledgeable than I am. And then, there are so many people who know nothing about computers at all. It's like I am directly in the middle, too dumb for being "good", too good for being "normal".

C is my language of choice. I first learned C++ at the very beginning of my "career" (when I was 16), but it always was overly complicated, the standard library rarely provided my with what I needed (same thing with C, though), and compiling larger projects takes for-ever. And templates are just a clusterfuck beyond measure.
I took a glance on Java some time ago, but it contradicted everything that I have learned to value in C - like the zero-copy concept. In Java and C++ people just don't seem to care about proper memory management - but that's another story.
>>
Part 2:

I also don't have a job in IT. I have been trying to get some freelancer jobs here in Germany, but there are rarely companies who want to have something programmed/designed by a C-freelancer guy.
In Germany you can take a so-called "job training" in which you partake for three years. I have done so for "application programming", but my training was more centered on practical education (administration of servers, programming of productive interfaces and so on - never focused on theory). Also, this training was what basically pushed me deep into my current depressive state, which might explain my inferior complexes from which I am suffering.

And whenever I met another programmer, I feel utterly insecure, because I haven't "properly" studied programming, while these guys did. They also have a lot of confidence - which is strange, because the moment they write down some code I usually can find something that they did wrong. Then again, maybe I am just overcompensating for my lack of confidence.

Going back to school is not an option. I hate school. I literally hate it. Even several years after I last visited the regular school I sometimes have nightmares from it. My only choice would be to learn stuff in my free time - school is out of question.

Does anyone of you have to deal with the same situation?
>>
>>16784306
>falling for a meme OS like gentoo

You goofed
>>
>>16784319
Really helpful.
>>
>>16784309
>>16784306
>>16784383

>Already posted this on /g, they told me I should post it here for better advice.

They are fucking with you.

I would give you advice If I knew a thing about programming.

Go back go g and either make a new thread or post your question on the Programming General.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.