[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drug Addiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1451630998325.jpg (312 KB, 1280x958) Image search: [Google]
1451630998325.jpg
312 KB, 1280x958
Have any of you beaten a drug addiction?

I haven't been able to stay sober for longer than 2 weeks since 6-7 years ago.

wat do
>>
>>16780684
This is no small task. You'll need someone to keep you from relapsing, to see you through the withdrawal.
You can also alienate yourself from the people and places that enable your drug habit.
>>
I was a meth addict for two years. I also did heroin regularly for a couple of months in those dark days.

I haven't done those in 5 years and the last hardest drug was ecstasy, and that was 6 months ago. I only smoke weed and drink beer occasionally( twice a week or less).

I also quit cigarettes and havent had one in 6 months (relapsed when rolling).

I dunno man. It certainly wasnt from having a strong will that I quit and being open minded and impulsive doesnt help.

I would say two things happened that turned my habits around: growing up and goals.

I took upon myself two goals: MMA training and getting a degree ( in chemistry). I realized that my partying habits were not conducive to a healthy life and it wasnt fun anymore. Those bad habits conflicted with the person I wanted to be and so I slowly got rid of those habits. If I relapsed, I tried again. I realized that my life didnt have much meaning partying all the time. I wanted to grow up and change. Change is possible. Have "faith" that you are capapble of change. Fuck, I'm just a normal guy with flaws and I changed completely to a guy with flaws still, but with goals and accomplisments under my belt.Best of luck.
>>
i have been alcohol free for over 5 years. i drank daily for 5 years before that.

having a friend or a support network that isnt also drug addicts helps. sometimes AA/NA can help people but I personally do not recommend these things.

here is what I did:
to quit, i had to come to the conclusion that I wanted to quit. i had tried before but it was only when I wanted to quit solely for myself that it "stuck"

what I mean by this is you cant be doing it for someone else. none of this "my gf hates it when i drink so i dont!" bullshit. you need to need it for YOURSELF. for me, there is no "higher power" or anything. I am the ultimate thing in charge of myself, and until I truly wanted to better myself and really understood WHY i had to quit drinking it was just not possible for me otherwise. if this doesn't make sense to you, i recommend meditating on it, or just thinking about it, or whatever you gotta do.

i don't know exactly how to describe it, because it really didn't "click" with me until I reached some sort of higher understanding of myself and what I needed to do, for ME. real personal growth comes from within. i'm not a spiritual person at all, and I don't believe there is necessarily a spiritual component to this, but I will say that people who are spiritual might have a better idea of what I'm trying to convey even though I'm so bad at explaining it.

I will say that if you're doing anything about it, even posting here about it, that's a good sign. it means that you cared enough to ask for help and that if you did this completely of your own volition and weren't compelled into thoughts about quitting by another person or told you needed to ask someone, that's a good sign that personal growth is truly possible for you. i'll check this thread again later if you want to ask me any more questions and hopefully I can help. best of luck anon!
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.