[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what to expect from a relationship?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1451707231287.jpg (12 KB, 320x308) Image search: [Google]
1451707231287.jpg
12 KB, 320x308
Hi guys. So I'm 18 and I barely just got my start at dating when I was 17 during my senior year of highschool.

I lost some pretty cute girls that year because I had no idea what I was doing. But that's besides the point. Now I understand the dynamics of a date/attraction/banter/flirtation and all. Although I've never been in a relationship.

I know this might sound stupid, but what is really the importance of compatibility? I can understand why it's of importance, especially during a long term, but are there any reasons that it wouldn't matter?

Also I'm asking what to expect from a relationship so I'm not completely blind. I don't expect my first relationship to picture perfect, but I'd like to know some general roadbumps that I'm going to encounter.

I also understand that it varies because people are different, but you probably feel me at this point.
>>
>what is really the importance of compatibility? I can understand why it's of importance, especially during a long term, but are there any reasons that it wouldn't matter?
It wouldn't matter in cases of casual sex or FWB. An actual relationship isn't going to last long. Think of your friendships - how many of your long term friends would you say have drastically different views and values from you? Very few, if any, I'm willing to bed. It's the same thing in relationships - if you want it to last, being compatible is very important, otherwise points of disagreement will turn into fights and unhappiness

>Also I'm asking what to expect from a relationship
We really can't tell you, it really does depend on the people involved. I know people who have been together from your age for years, and I know people who have lasted mere days before breaking up. It might be great, it might not - we don't know.
>>
>>16780425

What a relationship will feel like depends enormously on who you are and with whom you are dating. It should feel good, though. You should feel better with that person than alone. When they call you should feel some excitement to speak with them and hear what they have to say. You should look forward to seeing them. If you listen to and respect your own feelings you'll be fine.

Compatibility is critical for long-term stability, though it matters less for short-term relationships. Don't feel any pressure to focus on the long-term right now, you're young and still figuring yourself out. Your values at age 25 may be completely different than age 18. This is why so many young people get divorced: you change a *lot* from 18-25.

Statistically it matters a lot whether you respect your partner and share key values like religious and political alignments. Attractiveness is not correlated with long-term satisfaction in relationships. Anyway, good luck.
>>
Honesty.
Loyalty.
Communication.
Trust.
Respect.
Companionship.

That's about it I think.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.