[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about asking my psych if I can switch from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (268 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
268 KB, 1000x667
I'm thinking about asking my psych if I can switch from adderall xr to vyvanse. Adderall xr:
>doesn't last long enough- barely any loner than the ir
>gives me really bad anxiety and insomnia once it wears off
>has a very steep comedown- like no transition from happy and focused to zombie
Anyone have experience with these issues and switched to vyvanse, or has experience switching from one to another? I'm aware that the effects will not be consistent for everyone, but from my experience with Ritalin and adderall there's usually some pretty generalizable characteristics. If it helps I have the inattentive type of ADHD rather than the hyperactive kind- Ritalin was no help to me, made me focus for maybe I shit you not, 20 minutes, but then it made all my ADHD symptoms worse. I've heard that one is better for those with the hyperactive characteristics as it "calms them down" somehow. I'm also pretty seasoned in mechanisms of action being a psychiatry/psychology student so if you wanna go science on my ass feel free. I looked over some comparative studies but I would like some primary sources and personal experience. Thanks guys!
>>
>>16779779
I don't believe in ADHD per say.
>>
>>16779786

that's interesting anon. What medical school did you graduate from? Did you write your thesis on mental health issues?
>>
>>16779786
OP here,
I think it's extremely over-diagnosed, but it's validity is pretty apparent based on loads of studies, and my personal experience. I think people are quick to diagnose young kids with it since the symptoms that correlate with an ADHD diagnoses also correlate with pretty typical elementary school kid behavior. 8 year olds don't like to sit down, they shout silly things out, and would rather draw an play outside than sit in class. And you can even attribute the more severe symptoms to poor parenting, or a different disorder. But as an adult, I know I have great difficulty with concentration regardless of my interest or motivation and I know that these drugs help me greatly, so I'll stick with it. This is besides the point tho
>>
>>16779796
None and no.
I'm interested in the subject, but I'm not educated in it.
What I mean is, I don't believe ADHD is something you always need medicine to cure.
I'm simply convinced that the human mind is capable of a lot more than what medicinal companies tell us.
Now arguing with me in a sarcastic tone, won't convince me otherwise, but maybe if you brought an actual argument up we could discuss it.
>>
>>16779814
I completely agree with you on these points, and sorry for derailing your thread a bit, but I can't help you with which drugs you should take.
>>
>>16779837
I enjoy talking about such things myself so it's okay! As long as my thread doesn't turn into a shit show debate. It probably will anyways though
>>
>>16779862
Yeah that's kinda inevitable...
Being a psych-student, do you think there might be a possibility that you could cure yourself from ADHD with sheer willpower?
I mean I know it's not just psychological and that there's a chemical component to it as well, but in your opinion, could it be possible to trigger the brain into producing these chemicals normally, without drugs?
>>
Psych undergrad with ADHD-Combined type on Vyvanse reporting in.

First I'll talk about my symptoms. I'm not hyperactive, but rather inattentive-impulsive. I have trouble with conceptualizing time, starting/switching tasks, and keeping my train of thought. I usually end up doing whatever's easiest/most fun to do, except when there's a deadline, in which case I work like crazy and scrape by.

Vyvanse you have to be patient with. It lasts about 14 hours for me, and if I take it after 9am I have trouble sleeping. There are long come-up and -down periods. During the morning while I'm waiting for it to kick in fully, I get anxious and restless. While it's in full effect, my thoughts are very clear, and I'm motivated, albeit sweaty. When I come down, I keep the clarity of thought, but lose the motivation. Sometimes I get kind of apathetic. Near the end of the day I feel zombie-like, but it's nothing too bad.

I haven't switched from it, but I did increase my dosage from 30mg to 40mg. Sometimes I take two when I really want to get things done.
>>
>>16779892
Not him, but with this kind of thing it's not about willpower, but rather luck. I can want to do something with all the power of a thousand suns, but it's like there's this block physically preventing me. Only adrenaline works, which allows me to scrape by deadlines after procrastinating. I tried to use fear as a motivating factor but all I have now is an anxiety disorder. Meds are necessary.
>>
>>16779956
But wanting something really bad isn't the same as having the willpower to get it.
Maybe it isn't willpower you need to cure it, but I just have a hard time believing that this is something you can only keep down with meds, and not actually cure 100%.
>>
>>16779975
You going to expect a dyslexic to magically un-dyslexia themselves, or an autistic to suddenly be socially graceful and understand cues? It's the same thing -- in a sense ADHDers are literally retarded, as the disorder's a developmental delay in executive functioning. Look that up if you don't know what it is.

Like, sure, you can compensate. I do it by jumping around from task to task often, so everything's kind of fresh. I also have to mental gymnastics myself into thinking whatever I'm doing is interesting and fun, or it won't happen. When it comes to scrubbing bathrooms or studying molecular biology, it can be tough. Some people call that a lack of discipline, willpower, etc., but you really can't just magic it away. It's your neurology.
>>
>>16779892
I don't know. One of the main theories regarding ADHD is that people with the disorder are deficient in a neurotransmitter called dopamine which deals with various things including attention and motivation. I think ADHD includes both biological factors and situational factors. So yes I think symptoms can be improved with strategies other than medicine, but no amount of will power or cognitive training will address the chemichal imbalance in question. Again, these drugs help- I do much better with them. But I would like one with less intense side effects
>>16779937
Thanks, that was helpful. Yeah, I assume the come up would take longer since the enzymes have to break it down into dextro (I believe). But I would prefer I longer come up/come down anyways, makes it smoother. That sounds more desirable than what I get with adderall though. How long does the comedown typically last? When I crash from adderall I'm lethargic and useless literally the rest of the day until I finally can mange to sleep. My main concerns are that, and it lasting long enough
>>
>>16779994
>>16779994
It's not really even related to discipline and will power- you can be very self-disciplined and motivated to clean the house or write that paper, but you literally cannot focus on it. It's not like "this is lame, I wanna play vidya" it's like "I literally forgot the last three sentences I read, and I can't focus on this sentence let alone retain it, and I just remembered like four other things and they won't seem to leave my mind".
>>
>>16779975
You can't change your brain chemistry. You wouldn't tell a schizophrenic person to just repress their hallucinations, ignore they're paranoia, and shut off the delirious thoughts and cute themselves, would you? If a person had Parkinson's disease would you tell then to just resist the urge to shake, and attempt to better control their movement? ADHD is no different than these issues related to imbalances in standard brain chemistry. Yes, a person can and should develop coping skills and learn to better cope with their disorder and counteract some of their symptoms, but no amount of work will change the nature of their brain chemistry "100%
>>
>>16780047
Let me take you through the entire day instead. Sorry if it's a bit redundant.

Anyway, there's a little chemical tail that needs to be broken off before the meds can take effect, so yes. The capsule is time-release, too, making the comeup last maybe 2-3 hours. It's not an abrupt change, but even with experience I tend to have a sudden realization that I can focus, like I've been switched on.

When I'm lucky and the day has been good, I can stay engaged for six to eight hours. When shit happens or I've been in a bad mood, I can still get distracted and spiral off, or feel really intense fatigue and apathy for the rest of the day (this can be avoided by being careful).

Then the comedown can last from 3-5 hours depending on the day. If some shit happened earlier in the day it can be a drag, but if I eat and hydrate I just feel kind of dreamy, less coordinated, and blunted. Nothing too bad, almost like I enter into a state more towards unconsciousness, except distinctly not sleep.
>>
>>16780146
Haha no problem man, seems like it's still working now whatever time it is there. Yeah, like i can get used to the comedown if it's just a few hours. And up to eight hours would be great. I either have to take it in the morning if I want to focus on school or the afternoon if I want to focus on studying or work... So thanks sounds good
>>
I'm on a generic focaline and methylphenaldate
I think
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.