[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tips for money management/moving out of parents?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1449264844704.jpg (953 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
1449264844704.jpg
953 KB, 1440x2560
Hi, so a year ago I moved back with my parents because I couldn't keep up with school, work, and managing rent/bills. Then a few months ago I quit my job as a manager because I absolutely hated it.

Now I'm almost done with school and am thinking about how terrible living with my parents will be as a college graduate.

Does anyone have advice for 1) finding a job 2) saving money to afford living on my own again 3) managing my money once I move out

It seems most of the jobs available are shitty minimum wage jobs and it doesn't help that I quit a higher end position. Last time I lived on my own it was with a roommate, but I really didn't enjoy it since I had to do all of the upkeep even when I said "dude, pick up after yourself it's disgusting" and he'd just be like "uh, ok" and not do it. It was gross because he would ash cigarettes/drop the butts into beer bottles and it smelled nasty. No thanks.

So I will be trying to get a 1bdrm apartment on my own.

If anyone can help thatd be appreciated. How much money should I have in savings before thinking about moving out? I will also need to pay back student loans.
>>
You should have a stable job before you move out, and it should be about 28% of your income is what you should budget for it.

If you make $1000 dollars a month, your monthly rent should be no more than $280.
>>
>>16778882
Finish school

Get resumes out (only 1 out of 10 will call back)

Work a shitty minimum wage job(you can always keep looking for a better one on the side.)

Stop buying luxury stuff for a month or two. To save money. Live bare bones.

Use saved money to move out.
>>
>>16778882
* Get a job, any job
* Save for a couple of months
* Find a place to rent and put down the deposit
* Keep working and pay your bills
* If you have kids and can't afford it, it's your own fault if you're broke
>>
>>16778918
eek, that's going to be tough then. I mean, at my old job I made 1900 a month but it was soul crushing. Rent at my old place was 900 after including renters insurance, internet, and electricity - so 450 each of us.

I know most places in my area require tenants to make 3x the rent so would it maybe be best to get two jobs?
>>
>>16778928
>Stop buying luxury stuff for a month or two. To save money. Live bare bones.
Since I moved back I only spent money on car insurance and my phone bill. Even after quitting my old job a few months ago I still have 2800 saved up.

>>16778929
>If you have kids and can't afford it, it's your own fault if you're broke
No kids because no friends let alone a girlfriend
>>
>>16778939
All you need to do is get a job then. Just something to keep yourself afloat.
>>
>>16778949
Yeah, I just don't know what. Most of what I look into that pays more than minimum wage requires crazy amounts of previous experience. Even things like data entry clerk positions need "3+ years of human resources experience required" like wtf.

I could probably sell off my reel to reel and some music gear for a couple thousand but that won't really be proveable income.
>>
>>16778957
Don't get bogged down by business that literally copy and paste requirements. Just give them resumes and applications regardless.

And be fully prepared to start a minimum wage job.
>>
>>16778980
would having a degree look better on jobs like that? Also I'm planning on getting a CCNA certificate to help a bit since my major (English) won't net me many jobs besides ones that simply require a degree.
>>
>>16778882

>finding a job

It takes time and preferably connections.

>saving money to afford living on my own again

Roommates are a good way to manage expenses, it's usually that or selecting somewhere within means, which can be very very shitty at entry level. Where in the world do you want to live?

>managing my money once I move out

Willpower and budgets.
>>
>>16779382
I'm in ohio right now but might move to new mexico or colorado. CO would be better since my cousin lives in aspen and said he'd probably be able to get me a job with room/board at the lodge.

I want to avoid roommates since my last one was shit and made living there miserable. Everyone seems somewhat responsible until they're pegged with actual responsibility. I'm talking never cleaning up, rarely paying rent on time, and he almost set the place on fire twice.

If I ever get a girlfriend I'd maybe consider living with her, or maybe my brother but he's also irresponsible.
>>
you should save up enough for an emergency/buffer fund before you move out
>>
>>16779673

I take it you either aren't the woman pictured or are a lesbian then?

Colorado is seeing some inflation in rents/property prices, IIRC.
>>
>>16779726
would enough to pay 4-5months of expenses be suitable?

>>16779739
nope, I'm a guy. Colorado seems pretty expensive, but if I can get a gig similar to my cousin it'd be great. He's one of the bar managers at the apsen ski lodge and they let him live there for no cost.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.