[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: baby-worrying[1].jpg (11 KB, 262x370) Image search: [Google]
baby-worrying[1].jpg
11 KB, 262x370
I am currently a senior right now in high school and the first semester is officially over. Grades already got sent to colleges.
I'm taking 3 APs and all honors classes except for a language course. I have A's and B's for all of these classes, except for one AP class, which I have a D+ in.

I have the GPA and I have the SAT score, but I'm worried that this grade will not get me in the school I want to go to.

I'm not trying to get into an Ivy League school, but this school is a good school that is getting slowly hard to get into as the years go by. My brother goes there right now, but I don't think that's enough for me to get accepted at this point.

Will one D+ on my first semester transcript ruin my chances of getting accepted? Even though I have all A's and B's in my classes?
>>
Bump
please help
>>
>>16778650
The colleges have 90% made up their minds before the last grades are in, so if you were a "Probable" up to now, you still are.

Is there a valid reason for the D? That grade almost never reflects your work, but rather your failure to do the work or cheating or something. Have a good story ready if you make it to an interview.
>>
As a fellow senior, there's no way to really know. Different schools have different views on the same things after all. However, it would help to know what the college is noted for, and which AP class you are doing poorly in. For example, a D+ in AP World History wouldn't mean as much to an engineering college as say, a D+ in AP Calculus.
>>
>>16778690
Is that really so? How do you know that they already make up their minds before grades are sent? (Not trying to be rude, just genuinely curious)
As for my D, there is no valid excuse. AP Biology is the hardest class I have ever taken in highschool, and I know the material, its just that I have no idea how to apply it when I'm taking tests.

>>16778698
Virginia Tech is my top-choice school. It's known for engineering, and I have a decent grade in AP Calculus. I figured that if they looked at my math grades, they would be turned off by the only D on my transcript, especially since it's a core class too.
>>
>>16778720
If it's just AP Biology, I don't think that it will have a huge impact on things. Again, this is just my judgment on the situation as a fellow senior. All of that being said, there's no point in worrying by now. The grades are in, and the chips will fall where they may.
>>
>>16778720
Just consider the timetable. Letters of acceptance are going to go out in a month or so, if not already. So they have to have begun the evaluation process already. Generally speaking there will be a few people who are such stars that they'd have to fail the entire senior year to be rejected, and a larger number who don't have a chance even if they got all As in the last semester. That leaves the Probables, the Maybes ad the Probably Nots - and the college would have to get at least that far by now to be able to reach final decisions on time.

You are probably at least a Probably, just by virtue of being in an AP program. So now all that's left is to decide which Probablys become Definites - and one grade in one course, especially when you did well in the others, showing that you didn't generally goof off, is not likely to hurt you too much.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.