[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Entered a class 2 weeks ago. >Cheated on second homework
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: fish1.jpg (137 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
fish1.jpg
137 KB, 1920x1440
>Entered a class 2 weeks ago.
>Cheated on second homework by asking Stack Exchange site online
>Dropped the course for other reasons (so it's like I never took it)
>Get an e-mail from professor saying I've been caught cheating on homework and he is talking to the department to see Student Conduct Office needs to be involved
>It's the second time this has happened to me, first time was a year ago and that professor failed me in the course but there was no disciplinary action beyond that

I realize I was an idiot for looking online. Absolutely idiotic. I will not do it again.

What can I do now? I'm not enrolled in the class or anything at this point and I sent an e-mail to the head of the department saying I urgently needed to meet with him due to a complaint that was made about me by a professor.

Nobody is responding to my e-mails, which were sent on Friday (It's now Sunday).

What am I supposed to do?
>>
I've actually met with my advisor since then and she said "relax. I'm on your side of this. I just need to get some more information first and then I'll meet with you again to discuss what you can do."

She's not involved in the disciplinary action or anything, nor is she my professor or anything, so I have to take her at her word I guess.

She also said "I don't think a lot of students fully realize the difference between collaboration and cheating on assignments, so we should talk about that too when you have time and I have a little more information from the department about the incident."

What do I do?

Am I going to be expelled? I'm freaking out.
>>
>>16778543
Relax anon. Its Sunday. You shouldn't be worried if you dropped the class. By spazzing out and emailing everyone you make yourself seem suspicious. Follow your advisors advice.
>>
>>16778556
If it were the first offense, I wouldn't be so worried. But two years ago I was caught doing the same thing (but much much worse) on a take-home test.

This was just one homework assignment and I didn't even copy the answers, just rephrased them in my own words (but since it's math, that's not much of a difference).

I kind of need to add another course that replaces it to graduate though, and I need the head of department's permission to do that after 2 weeks of the semester now, so that is why I'm so worried.
>>
>>16778536

>being so stupid you need to cheat at undergrad homework

Look at OP and laugh. You deserve what you get.
>>
>>16778567
They're graduate courses I'm taking, most of them.
This was a graduate level course, even though I'm an undergraduate.
>>
>>16778536
Professor writing here:

If just dropping the course "like I never took it" gave a get out of jail free card for cheating, very few people would be in class by the end of a semester, since there would be nothing to lose by cheating.

There IS something to lose by cheating. Many schools have a Zero Tolerance policy and you would have been expelled the first time.

You certainly have very little going for you as a second offender. If you are in the most charitable school in the universe and you catch the disciplinary board on the day they've all won the lottery, you MIGHT get off with a one-year suspension.

Can you say "Would you like fries with that?"
>>
>>16778573
I've reviewed all the statistics for disciplinary action for my school for academic integrity violations.

It's not exactly like I was cheating in an exam. I asked for someone to give me some advice about how to approach a math problem online..
>>
>>16778536
>Nobody is responding to my e-mails, which were sent on Friday (It's now Sunday).
Wait till monday.
>>
>>16778573

Ahahahaha!

The more losers who get expelled or drop out, the more valuable my degree is. Expel him, expel them all!

But no really, in my student handbook which is probably standard for any uni, it says zero tolerance for cheating and one offense will get you expelled. Have fun flipping burgers, OP, you stupid fuck.
>>
>>16778590
I've looked up zero tolerance policies on cheating and for my university specifically.

Mine just says "the professor will give you a grade he/she deems appropriate for the assignment and may refer you to the Student Conduct Office for disciplinary action as he sees fit." From there, it says that the student conduct office conducts an investigation, which in my experience takes a few weeks at least. Then, once they decide, they allow the professor and student to come to an agreement or sanction and the student can either rebuttal with an agreement the student thinks is more appropriate or accept the sanctions. Then it says that if the student refuses, they can go to a trial for it but that 98% of cases don't go to trial because the student just accepts the sanctions. It also says that generally, violations of academic integrity result in a suspension, but there are non-imposed suspensions as well which allow you to do everything normally but get a mark on your transcript saying you were technically "suspended" a semester, which is terrible of course.

But all that taken into consideration, I think it should be considered that all I did was ask for some help on one homework problem in the first 2 weeks of a class which was dropped for completely unrelated reasons anyway. It's not like I cheated on a final exam.
>>
To put this in some perspective, the professor's angry e-mail saying that he thinks I cheated on a homework assignment continued saying

"I've reviewed your qualifications for this class, and given that you also received a poor homework grade for the first assignment and didn't do very well in the pre-requisites to this course, I feel it is in your best interest to drop. If I catch you again, I will fail you in my course.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.