[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice when Contacting Employers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (18 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
18 KB, 350x263
So I applied for an apprenticeship, one that I'm fairly certain my CV will be impressive for and one that I really want.

I contacted them earlier and was told that the Director of Engineering was away, that he was handling the applications and that he will be back tomorrow. So I have his name and when to call.

I really want this call to complement my application, so when I ring I want to be able to do more than just ask how my application is going. What are some things that I can say that will really help me sound good to him?
>>
Nothing. Save that for the interview.
>>
But I really wanna make sure I get the interview...
>>
>>16777316
Tell them how big your dick is, and ask them if they'd like a picture.
>>
Call them, then put your penis up to the phone and talk to them with your penis.
>>
>>16777343
The only way to influence the odds of getting an interview are to know someone. That's been true for many years now. Now once you're actually sitting at the interview, that's when you talk ask/talk about the company and its current projects, challenges, competitors, etc.
>>
If your CV/resume is as good as you reckon, there isn't a thing you can do to significantly impact the chances of an interview.

Well, you could NOT call them or something. That'd fuck it up for sure!

As long as you are not liable to spill spaghooter all over the Director through phone, you'll be fine. Just call the facility up, state your name and business, and ask to speak to the fella. Just, you know..be cool!
>>
>>16777357

So I state my name, ask how my application is doing and if he says he hasn't gotten to mine yet... I should not sort of encourage him to see mine?

It's just that people always say to get the job you really must call and follow up but how does that show any initiative when all I'm doing is what everyone else does you know? Just asking a basically scripted request for an update
>>
>>16777357

Say for instance that I have a uni degree. Would it be unwise to mention this and reaffirm him that I am dedicated to this trade and not pursuing/prioritizing other fields of work?
>>
>>16777369
>when all I'm doing is what everyone else does
The reason the advice works is that most everyone else doesn't. It's a combination of laziness, apathy, anxiety and any other excuse you can think of. It all boils down to not thinking about what kind of person the interviewer might want to hire and work with. So no, not everyone else heeds the advice. You'd be amazed.
>>
>>16777369
the follow-up call is a mixed bag depending on who the employer is. I've talked to some employers that don't care who you are/how impressive your cv is, they call you first. Alternatively, some might enjoy the enthusiasm. your call
>>
>>16777519

>some employers that don't care who you are/how impressive your cv is, they call you first.

Would calling have a negative effect in this case or just add no benefit?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.