[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible for suicide to be rational? Or is it always due
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1
File: time.jpg (24 KB, 545x362) Image search: [Google]
time.jpg
24 KB, 545x362
Is it possible for suicide to be rational? Or is it always due to an episode of clinical depression?

I have paranoid schizophrenia, and I became completely disabled because of this illness. I take anti-psychotic medication and visit mental health professionals regularly, but medication only treats active psychotic symptoms (like delusions and hallucinations), and doesn't treat the disability caused by the disease, like the loss of social abilities, disintegration of personality and intellect, difficulty speaking, and a whole range of other symptoms for which medication simply doesn't exist.
Whenever I'm lucid enough and not engrossed in grandiose and paranoid delusions, I feel like killing myself, since I realize how severely disabled and crippled I am by this disease.

Do you believe that it's a rational choice to desire to kill oneself, given my situation? Can suicide be a rational choice?
Also, I know that euthanasia for the mentally ill is legal in some countries, like Belgium and the Netherlands. What kind of euthanasia, that is offered over there, is the least likely to make one back away? I would back away from a lethal injection due to instinct, but I wouldn't back away if I would only have to drink something that would just make me fall asleep and then die, without any suffering. Is this kind of euthanasia available?
>>
I go on a mental health chatroom where the majority of people are schizophrenic. Perhaps you could talk to them about these issues, since they'll understand. http://theircvillage.com/chat/

Do you have a therapist? They may be able to help you with these kinds of thoughts, as well.

The negative symptoms of schizophrenia sound incredibly frustrating to me; I have depression, and I'm very thankful that it's at least slightly treatable through antidepressants. But there really isn't any drug for negative symptoms if you're schizophrenic.

Therapy really could help, though. You should try to find a therapist with experience in treating schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders.
Thread replies: 2
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.