[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People talking over me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: silenced.jpg (25 KB, 560x293) Image search: [Google]
silenced.jpg
25 KB, 560x293
Something I had to deal with all my life is people talking over me. My parents do it, my siblings do it, my extended family does and my friends do it.
At first I thought my family did it because I am the youngest but strangers and friends do it too. I even stopped speaking to my mother for a week because she does it more than anyone else(still does it even though we talk)

It is very frustrating irritating and very fucking rude. I may be speaking or asking a question or even fucking answering a question when someone will cut straight across me.
I have no clue why this happens it just does. I have tried everything I tried talking louder when it happens, just going completely quiet, leaving the room and even saying it straight out.

I don't feel like a boring guy, people often tell me I always have interesting things to say and give good advice but even on one on one conversations it still happens, groups make me feel like I don't exist.

I suffer from severe social anxiety but rather than wallowing around and stuttering like a tard I try to combat it everyday but the older I get I feel I am losing the battle because of people talking over me.
It like everyone else is now on a different level, sometimes I can no longer hold a conversation for shit, sometimes I unintentionally shout when speaking and whats worse sometimes I get so anxious I stutter. .

All my life people have talked over me and dismissed me like some childish retard.
Is there something I am doing wrong?
Can I combat this?
do I give off some aura?
Sometimes I feel like just going mute like silent bob but I am will working soon and that is a no go.
>>
I've had the same problem a bit. One thing you can do is just keep talking when someone interrupts you. If you want to be blunt, say "wait" and signal that you're not done talking, but it must be done with tact so as not to be rude.
>>
>>16773670
Thats difficult to do in most situations especially group when everyone's attention shifts to another.
>>
haha yeah people used to do this shit to me too

here's the question list you have to answer first, in order. is what im saying not worth their attention? is what i do not worth their attention? is who i am not worth their attention? is what they're saying worth interrupting me for?

if you answer yes then solve the problem. fix what you say, fix what you do, fix who you are, or fix when you say things. if you answer no to all of these questions, and the problem persists, then it's time to confront them about it. best way is to wait for it to happen then get mad. people who walk all over others arent able to comprehend the nature of their actions with a nonviolent approach

just fyi for me the problem was that i talked for too long, and the people i talked with had extremely short attention spans. gotta get what you want to say out quickly. communication is 2 directional.
>>
File: IMG_20160205_132743.jpg (194 KB, 720x1170) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160205_132743.jpg
194 KB, 720x1170
>>16773670
OP, take this advice: be a dick back and say wait like a parent would to a child. Show them they can't fucking disrespect you.

I'm saying this because I suffer the exact same problem in the exact same way.
>>
Try changing your outfit
Try telling them its rude to do that
Try telling them it makes depressed/ sad or (____)
If you talk a lot, you have more possibilities of being interrupted
Ask more on the internet and others!!:)
Good luck
>>
As someone who has experienced something similar:
>>16773689
This is good advice. It's better to speak less, and choose your words deliberately, than to ramble endlessly and be boring. I have a friend who is otherwise quite quiet and awkward, but when he speaks, everyone listens, because his words have weight.
>>16773670
This is shitty aspie advice.
>>
>>16773630
I'm sorry OP. I am one of these people.

It's no sign of disrespect. I just get excited and my brain is very small and it can't hold on to information very long. I also butt into conversations fairly often. The thing is, I don't get annoyed or take offense when it's done to me, so it makes me oblivious to when I do it to others. My friends genuinely don't mind, because I can be a good listener too, but it's a bad habit.

If you do this though:
>>16773670
you'll make it weird I feel like.
>>
>>16773630
When someone talks over me I usually look at them as if I were saying "Hey, I'm talking". If it doesn't work I will tell the person to wait. It works in almost every situation.
>>
I don't encounter this much because the people I talk to are normally polite and wait for the other to stop speaking, but when for example I ask something and it's blatantly ignored or someone talks over me, I just keep repeating myself until attention is returned. People tend to talk over people who are quieter and seem meeker. They also take advantage of other people's manners. You can shut them down in a joking manner too.
E.g my best friend is a loud mofo who loves to interrupt and it irritates me to no end, so when she interrupts I literally yell over her and she laughs and shuts up.
It's all about assertiveness.
>>
>>16773670
Don't do that.
>>
>>16773630
You have to be assertive and to the point, dude. If you don't know how to do that, talk louder so you don't anyone talk over you. It's something you have to work at, but once you get that, you'll get your confidence rolling and working with your stuttering problem will get easier since you will be more focused on the conversation rather than wondering why no one is letting you speak. If you don't control the situation, some people will happily step all over you to control it themselves, so don't let that happen.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.