[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Had my End of Year Performance Review in work today. I got 4/5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1451048498214.jpg (33 KB, 497x512) Image search: [Google]
1451048498214.jpg
33 KB, 497x512
Had my End of Year Performance Review in work today.

I got 4/5 across the board which is good. 5 is near impossible to get.
It means I get an extra £1000 in my salary.
The new guy asked us how the Performance related pay works out as he is not eligible as he has only been with us for 3 months.
In passing he mentions he is earning £33,000
This took a few of us back a bit
He is 3 grades lower than most of us and is earning £8,000 more than most of us.

I queried this to HR that people who have came in externally are earning more than current employees who are at a higher band level.

HR said thats what he negotiated when he came in.
I am not eligible for salary negotiation apparently.

WHAT THE FUCK ?1?!
>>
Oh shit, the new guy messed up big time. You never discuss your salary.

Yeah, new people sometimes get paid more. Sometimes people that work really hard get paid less than what appears to be lazy slobs.

Either get a new job or shut up because it's not going to change for the better.
>>
>>16773067
it's because he's a contractor probably. Contractors get way more money in exchange for less job security. Otherwise that's some bullshit. On the bright side HR will be none too happy that he's talking about pay levels with coworkers so expect to see his ratings go down lol. Just remember that they will remember you as the one who came to them to ask that and they may be none to happy with you for talking about it either
>>
Yup. Happens all the time.
The only answer is to start looking and be the guy doing the negotiating somewhere else.
>>
>>16773076

He is 100% not a contractor.
He is a fellow project manager and I fucking trained him for his first 2 months.

He is getting work that is well below the level than all of us and matches his lower band.
>>
>>16773082
This is standard fare. The mistake is him discussing salary.

The only fix is to move company for higher pay; that's it.
>>
>>16773067
Stay mad OP. He did better in the negotiations than you. Don't be mad at him, be mad at yourself.
>>
>>16773067
>HR said thats what he negotiated when he came in.
Well, yeah. How is this surprising. He negotiated well.

Still his fuckup for telling you guys his salary. Honestly, I'd ask him how he went about negotiating for future reference.
>>
>>16773154

He said he was on £30,000 in his last job
They offered him £33,000

Whats annoying most people is that we have a clearly defined Band Structure for roles and there are grade boundaries that go along with these.

He cannot be an A3 and earn that money.
Its very odd.
>>
>>16773167
The band is there for internal staff.
Outside hires is a different matter.

How long have you been in the industry?
>>
>>16773178
OP doesn't understand that it's a private business and they can pay their employees however much money they want regardless of their internal policies. They clearly thought he was worth the extra money.

Also
>Project manager
LOL
>>
>>16773167
>a clearly defined Band Structure for roles and there are grade boundaries that go along with these.
In private industry ANYTHING is negotiable: salary, vacation, bonus, title, etc.
>>
>>16773178

4yrs
Ive already talked to my manager about this.
His advice would be, put the feelers out for other companies. Try and secure a new job then use it as a bargaining tool against HR.

We have a policy of always trying to retain staff and 90% of the time they offer staff who are leaving up to 75% of a new salary from elsewhere.
>>
File: 1450200044815.png (67 KB, 500x329) Image search: [Google]
1450200044815.png
67 KB, 500x329
>>16773067
I'm not an HR guy, but I do have a certain amount of control over the hiring and firing of the crew I'm responsible for - a lot of our blokes are CIS contractors (rather than PAYE employees), but the principle is still the same. IMO you need to start looking for another job.

If you've been doing their job for £25k a year they won't have any incentive to put you up to £33k for the same amount of work. On top of that, if they put you on to the higher rate they're going to have to do the same for everyone else as well, and depending on the size of the company that could be the difference between continuing to trade or going bust. You probably can't get any leverage by threatening to quit either - giving you a raise or paying your replacement the same as the other new starter will cost them the same amount of money, but letting you go would get rid of the "disgruntled employee who thinks he's got one up on the boss" scenario. The only advantage you might have is if you're exceptionally good at your job, or if it's a position that requires training and/or experience unique to that job within that company.

If you do go for a new job, don't undervalue your time or sell yourself short. If the new guy is worth £33k a year to that company, that means you're worth £33k a year at the absolute minimum to another firm. One of my biggest regrets in my career is not asking for a lot more money when I was younger. I had my previous job for seven years, and that was paying £950 a week when I left. Now I'm at that companies #1 competitor doing the exact same thing for a spit over £1,100 a week, and the only reason it's that much is because they offered me £200 a day and I told them £250 or get someone else. They called me back a week later offering to meet me halfway, and I've been here ever since - you can be sure as hell they wouldn't have given me the extra £25 if I hadn't asked for it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.