[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Handling Grandma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.gif (2 MB, 270x356) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 270x356
I'll get to the point right from the top. After I get to the point, I'll give backstory.

What are some things that either myself or my aunt can do long distance to help Grandma? She won't really take money and she might spend it on gifts for other people.

Storytime:

My Grandma is losing her mind. Probably just old age, no disease. She doesn't have a whole lot of money and she's starting to slowly lose mobility. There's hoarding tendencies probably from being a single Mom raising 5 kids.

My Aunt has been getting a lot of pressure from the family to help. I kinda want to give my Aunt suggestions of things to help. Her and I live in California where my Grandma lives in Michigan. So it can be tricky to help.

Things that I notice she struggles with is:
>Diet
>Cleanliness
>Moving around
>Using the TV

I've been rolling around the idea of paying for a maid to come in once every couple weeks or so. Maybe trying to suggest Grandma keep a journal so she can remember things she's done recently.
>>
>I've been rolling around the idea of paying for a maid to come in once every couple weeks or so. Maybe trying to suggest Grandma keep a journal so she can remember things she's done recently.

If you can handle that financially, something like that or something like a social worker that can help her out once a week might be a very good idea, although you have to be careful with it.

Hard when you're so far away. Are there closer family members? Maybe you can help them, to help her.
>>
Hire a home health aide through a service. DO NOT HIRE ANYONE INDEPENDENTLY. A service will cost a little more but then you can be sure the person is having supervision.
>>
>>16772935
>My Grandma is losing her mind. Probably just old age, no disease.
It's always disease, OP. You don't just lose your ability to think/move once you hit a certain point. You do, however, have an increased chance of developing dementia. It runs in families too.

As for your grandmother, it's only going to get worse. Although it would be best for her to have at-home care (especially for someone with, say, Alzheimers), moving to a care facility or living with a family member are your only real options. It won't be long before someone has to feed her, change her diapers, etc. Depending on what's wrong with her, and if she gets the medication she needs, this will probably develop rapidly. She may not even be able to function normally within a year, and in two, there's a good chance she'll become dependent on another person entirely.

I understand that there's not a whole lot that can be done, especially if she's unwilling to accept help.
>>
>>16772946
I've heard horror stories of hiring people independently. Even if it was a supervised person, I'd probably do cameras in the house before I even consider hiring an every day nurse aid.

Luckily Grandma isn't at that point just yet. Some basic regular cleaing would be good.

>>16772940
I might. The maid services online haven't been putting their hourly rates up in that area. If I don't do a weekly plan maybe just for one good big clean. There definitely needs to be a basic sanitation of the whole house since I'm sure she hasn't done it in years.

Literally just found out she has a neighbor who comes over to help but doesn't do a good job.

There's some family close by but they're not as financialy set and they're getting burned out. Grandma is hard as fuck to deal with.
>>
>>16772963
It's something that has been happening gradually. Even when I was a kid she was a little off. It's just starting to come out more.

There's some family members who are nurses who live close by that check up on her. They say she's not at the point yet where she needs to have a live in nurse. However she really wears them out.

Ever seen the show Hoarders? She's sort of on her way to that too. It'd be worth spending the money preventing it.
>>
Talk to her about going living in an assisted living community. It's not a nursing home, but somewhere where she can get a little help.
>>
>>16772991
Or they have home health agencies. They can send out a CNA or nurse a few times a week to help with things.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.