[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a lawyer's advice on assisted dying law versus mental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: moralityandlaw.png (23 KB, 1190x670) Image search: [Google]
moralityandlaw.png
23 KB, 1190x670
Does Ontario mental health law take precedence over other Canadian laws? I suffer from a mental illness and wish to use Canada's assisted dying law however if they do take me to a hospital under Ontario mental health law I can be locked up for having a suicide plan. Which law takes precedence?
>>
In theory, national law usually trumps local laws. In practice, there could be peculiarities in the national law which mean it doesn't apply in your case, in which case there's nothing to trump the local law.

Honestly, your best bet would be to speak to a lawyer about this. I am not familiar with either of the laws in question, but you said you were suffering from a mental illness, and in most jurisdictions that have laws like this, mental illness complicates things.

- Are you sure that the assisted suicide law doesn't exclude people with mental illnesses (no matter what condition they have)?
- Are you sure that the assisted suicide law lists mental illness as a valid case for assisted suicide? Note that this is not the same thing as the previous question.
- Does the mental health law allow people to be locked up for reasons other than having a suicide plan? Might your illness itself qualify?
>>
>>16771919

You know that the assisted dying laws are for people with terminal and debilitating diseases who want to go out on their terms, not those who are mentally imbalanced - right?
>>
>>16771919
Just kill yourself yourself, faster and easier than this
>>
>>16771919

>I need a lawyer's advice

So call a lawyer.

Trust my advice on this, I'm a Canadian lawyer.
>>
>>16771997
actually the assisted dying law in Canada is for any illness as determined by the supreme court.
>>
>>16771919
Assisted dying requires evidence of sound mind and reasoned judgment. By your own self-description you wouldn't be able to prove that.
>>
>>16772015
Yes but with the help of a doctor I can determine I have sound judgement and reason.
>>
>>16772015
Even if some doctors disagree I can still argue that the oath they take to life makes them biased sources of information.
>>
>>16772038
replace biased with untrustworthy.
>>
>>16772038
>Even if some doctors disagree I can still argue that the oath they take to life makes them biased sources of information.
That won't help your case, because doctors are typically the gatekeepers when it comes to determining whether or not you're of sound mind. If you can't demonstrate it in their eyes, then you won't be able to demonstrate it at all. Not to the satisfaction of the law, at any rate.
>>
>>16772073
So people inherently pro-life control my fate. Great.
>>
>>16772073
Yep bribery time.
>>
>>16772093
>So people inherently pro-life control my fate.
You might be surprised. Assisted suicide is controversial in the medical community, but it's not possible for a controversy to last as long as this has without there being strong factions on both sides. There's also a strong camp of moderates who aren't willing to assist in the procesure themselves, but are willing to refer you to someone who is. Some assisted-suicide laws even require doctors to do that.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.