[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
nerd culture at work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: milton.jpg (72 KB, 590x462) Image search: [Google]
milton.jpg
72 KB, 590x462
What is appropriate "nerd culture" stuff to have on display in an office workplace environment?

Some people keep stuff like a Star Wars coffee mug on their desk or a tasteful anime poster by their computer, but idk what the social expectations about this stuff are.
>>
>>16769760
Make sure to put this one up
>>
I'd limit it to one or two things that dont cause an obstruction i.e. mugs & posters
>>
If you don't know how to do it appropriately, don't do it at all. That's perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>16769760
A binary clock, comic book hero figures , nerdy sayings like "Han shot first", video game stuff,etc.
>>
>tfw you realize Milton was a reference to Milton Friedman and you realize his movement to the basement was a metaphor for post-Reaganomics professional culture
>>
Are you a nerd though?
>>
>>16769804

Anyone who seriously thinks about putting Star Wars related stuff on their desk at work is probably a nerd
>>
>>16769817
Dude, Star Wars has been practically mainstream for a while now. My girlfriend has Star Wars t-shirts and has never even seen the original fucking movies.
>>
>>16769826

Triggered
>>
Depends on the job. I work in IT so I have a bunch of gunpla and plushies from videogames. My bosses have a bunch of toys in their offices too so no one cares.
>>
What's the point of bringing something like that from home into the office?
>>
>>16769896
Human beings have a desire to feel validated and part of a group

Bringing your shitty painted Chinese toys and posters lets you join the cool kids club
>>
>>16769901

lol this is true.
>>
Whatever the hell you think would be acceptable. Just don't have some body pillow that you curl up with on break or something.

>>16769896

My only reason for decorating at an old desk job was to make it feel more 'personal'. There weren't posters or anything, but I'd bring small trinkets or puzzles, pictures, etc. to mess with in down time. Actually took up learning origami and folded stuff for co-workers to put on their desks.
>>
Toys are kinda pushing it
>>
>>16769760
>tasteful anime poster

Doesn't compute. I can't think of a single poster except the ghilbi films, old 90s/80s cyberpunk anime and dbz that wouldn't mark you out as dweeb and even they are pushing it. But it all depends on the place.
>>
My coworkers though Lord of the Rings was a Harry Potter spin off, so I'd say nothing whatsoever.
>>
>>16770134

That's louzy. Hopefully you have other common ground to make small talk about?
>>
File: yamato_okita.png (216 KB, 588x449) Image search: [Google]
yamato_okita.png
216 KB, 588x449
>>16770134
>My coworkers though Lord of the Rings was a Harry Potter spin off
I'm trying to look past my own familiarity with the two series and see how someone would think that, and I'm coming up with nothing. unless they think the same actor played frodo and harry or something. but...other than their both being fantasy series, they're nothing alike. your coworkers are unobservant.
>>
I know a guy who works at a big name tech company in San Francisco, his work desk is literally full of as many anime figures as he can stuff on there. The answer is that it completely depends on your company's culture.
>tfw when he gets away with that and makes 150k a year while i slave away in consulting for 65k and have to wear a suit every day and don't even have a permanent desk
>>
>>16769760
tasteful anime poster made me laugh out loud
seriously OP, even if maybe anime's becoming less of a fringe interest, you have to stick to nerd stuff that they'd talk about on the big bazinga theory like super heroes, star wars, maybe things like lost
>>
>>16770844
>The answer is that it completely depends on your company's culture.
This.

If you are unable to gauge that yourself then this anon is correct:
>>16769769
>If you don't know how to do it appropriately, don't do it at all.

Don't be the guy that tries to hang up an anime poster in a conservative company. They'll just look for a reason to fire you after that.
>>
>>16770952

not impossible, many millenial entry level workers grew up with adult swim or toonami
>>
>>16769826
That makes it a good test of a new environment, though. Even if they object to a piece of Star Wars merchandise, you're unlikely to get into any real trouble for it (unless it's a full-size poster of Slave Leia or something).
>>
>>16769760
>anime
>tasteful
Pick1
>>
>>16770800
Not really. I have an IT degree and took a local job at a hospital "IT" department - turns out it's basically just overpaid data entry so I'm back to looking. The guy in question is really big into crossfit and fitness stuff, I post on /tg/. Everyone here is maximum normie.

>>16770826
To them, anything imaginative is made to be misunderstood. They measure each other by their ignorance of "nerd shit".
>>
Nothing, not a single thing. "nerd culture" is cancer, always hide your power level because you may be shunned or worse end up with a bunch of social retards with bad taste that infuriates you.
>>
>>16772569
>Being this afraid
Hahahahahahahaha faggot. There's a time and place to show your power level, sure, but being so afraid of what people might think of you is fucking pathetic. Enjoy being basic as fuck.
>>
>>16769760

Well, you can look at what other people have up around the office and put up stuff equal to or less than in nerdiness than them.

Or, better yet, you can leave that shit at home.

One, some people will think you spend your free time learning Klingon and dressing up as Darth Vader if you have Western sci fi paraphernalia, and they'll think you're a tentacle-obsessed pervert if you have any anime shit, because 40% they don't know any better and 60% they want to believe the worst.

Two, why in the holy fuck do you NEED to bring this shit to work? You don't. Just leave it at home.
>>
Having a favorite coffee mug is enough. Don't need to go overkill with it.
>>
>>16772223

A Cowboy Bebop poster is not going to raise eyebrows

as people here said, workplace culture differs.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.