[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Slow Paced Jobs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: CORE_PS05.jpg (84 KB, 465x468) Image search: [Google]
CORE_PS05.jpg
84 KB, 465x468
I have Schizoaffective disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and social anxiety disorder. I also have to find a job that doesn't scare me with an over abundance of people or work thats faster than my slow brain can follow. I have basically no college and no skills. Any advice on what I should do or where I should start?
>>
File: ronald2.png (107 KB, 338x317) Image search: [Google]
ronald2.png
107 KB, 338x317
>>16769151
>>
>>16769151
work for a shipping company throwing boxes around (UPS, fedex, etc). okay pay, long hours, your back and knees takes a pounding.

work at a big wholesale retailer stocking shelves and shit. i suppose there is a possibility of social interaction but i'm sure you can manage pointing people in the right direction. think a costco (competitive) or walmart, etc.
>>
>>16769163
don't you have some internet fight to have with some other tripfag you fucking autist
>>
>>16769172
No, I won

Also OP is the autist here
>>
>>16769155
>work for a shipping company throwing boxes around
>slow
Choose one. Those places will work you hard and fast and fire you without a shred of remorse if you won't/can't.

But I agree with the retail. OP, get on as a backroom worker or a night stocker.
>>
>>16769151
Cab driver?

Truck driver?

Assuming you can drive btw.

Call Centre- If you don't get too anxious and sperg out from speaking to people over the phone? You do have to be quite quick doing admin stuff though in a call centre.

Don't do anything in the catering business. Will be far too fast and stressful for you.
>>
>>16769151
Janitor, secretary, personal assistant, accountant, DMV worker, Postal worker
>>
>>16769174
>>16769163
Don't reply to this guy, he's just a troll. I wish the mods of this board would permaban him back to /b/
>>
>>16769151
Security guard. You sit around all night, some light walking.
>>
>>16769151
Honestly, a janitor at somewhere like a hospital or university is a good place to start.

I had a friend with crippling social anxiety who became a porter at a hospital. Just wheeled people around to their appointments and procedures and listened to music.
>>
File: 1312917323504.jpg (15 KB, 262x288) Image search: [Google]
1312917323504.jpg
15 KB, 262x288
>>16769151

>Any advice on what I should do or where I should start?

I am the owner/manager of an adult foster care company and I have a handful of clients with your exact diagnosis.

Depending on what state you live in there is usually an abundance of resources for people in your position. If you google "vocational rehabilitation" there are agencies out there dedicated to help people with disabilities find work.

Now, this is tricky because you'll have to qualify for it, meaning if you're not enrolled in some kind of disabilities program or agency it might be a little difficult but I would definitely look into this because its extremely difficult for regular people to find a job with no college degree or previous experience so facing this on your own must be a terrifying prospect.

I've seen hundreds of people in your position find work through these programs and typically they are very successful if you don't mind putting in the work and possibly volunteering/interning at a place before they hire you on but there is hope, so don't lose it.
>>
>>16769151
Are you decent with a computer? You could try to get an administrative position with a small organization. Social-profits (charities lol) are typically willing to take in and train people. It's also a sector that comes in "seasons", so it's only marginally busier at certain dates. I started as an administrative assistant at a 10 person organization at 17, and their manager of finance and operations eventually trained me to be her financial assistant. Larger partnered charities (ie United Way) usually have an education and development fund as well, so you could take a part time course in something related to the job.

I am, however, in Canada, so I'm not sure if it's different wherever you are. Administration can be boring and predictable, but it really does give you plenty of time to register what you're doing, as well as mentally prepare yourself for your day (just smile at people who come in and do your paper work, occasionally help plan events). I made $24/h at the front most social profits pay between $15-$25 for an admin, $28-$35 for finance.
>>
>>16769372
>Postal worker

If you're not in the union, they'll work you like dog.
>>
>>16769151
>>16770984
You could also look for a position at a smaller thrift store. Not to dwell on charities or anything, but if you have a local Salvation Army thrift store, they're a great place to start. A lot of people hate the religious undertones, I get it, I'm not religious myself. But if you have a good one, they're non-denominational and are very understanding towards any disorders/diagnosis. If you're not a people person, they'll let you sort donations. If you want to work on interacting with the public, they'll offer to let you hang the clothes or work behind the counter. It could be worth checking out?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.