[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm sort of strapped for cash but my significant other is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
I'm sort of strapped for cash but my significant other is really dead set on a garnet pendant with matching earrings for Valentine's Day.

I honestly don't know shit about jewelry, I've tried looking online but things are either way too expensive or seem too cheap to be true.

If anyone has some experience with purchasing jewelry online, I'd really appreciate it. I don't want to end up disappointing her with something that ends up being of shitty quality.

Pic related is something I was looking at. Apparently it's a 8MM garnet in sterling silver for ~$45? Is that a fair price or is that a joke or what?
>>
>>16767283
I also don't know if $45 is straight up like, cheap as in "I should spend more." I guess with earrings of the same price it'd be maybe a total of $100 but that still seems like it might still be "cheap" for jewelry? I don't want to get her anything that shitty.
>>
Cliché heart-shaped cubic zirconium works every time.
>>
Don't ever purchase jewellery online. How lazy do you have to be to buy jewellery online anyway?
>>
>>16767283
$45 is about market price for something like this. Personally I think it's way overpaying, but you're looking for something very specific on a short timeline.

Be aware: just because you pay more doesn't mean it's nicer. Surprisingly, just because you get it at a nicer place (i.e. brand name jewelry store) doesn't mean it'll be nicer or even good.

The biggest issue here is timing. If you buy online, be sure that the jewelry will get to you on time. If you're looking for something decent but cheap in the US, try your local TJMaxx. They're usually shit, but you can find something nice every once in a while. Usually I buy off of Ebay because you can get really nice things for cheap, but you're kind of strapped for time.

A couple other things to be aware of:

1. Don't buy it if it says "simulated" anywhere. If it says "simulated," it isn't a garnet. Simulated garnet is not the same thing as synthetic garnet. Synthetic means is a man-made stone that is chemically the same as a natural stone. Simulated means it "looks like a garnet." Simulated usually just means it's CZ, which is crappy and cheap for a variety of reasons.

2. Test all silver (and gold) you buy with a magnet. Pure or unpure silver and gold will never be magnetic. Never. You'd be surprised at what nice places will try to sell you fake silver. I went to Zales once to help a friend pick out a Valentines day necklace for his finance, and two of the necklaces we looked at were completely magnetic. (The one exception to this rule is the clasp of the necklace. Usually there's a spring there that's made of a magnetic metal. All other parts of the necklace should be nonmagnetic though.)
>>
>>16767283
Give her what you can afford. The definition of "gift" is that it is given, not that it is demanded. If price were no object, she could get a vote in what she'd prefer. But she doesn't tell you how much to spend on her - that's not a gift.
>>
>>16767537
Completely agree. I also don't like that she asked you for something this specific. That's not much of a gift - just her getting free jewelry.
>>
>>16767534
>$45 is about market price for something like this.
Just want to clarify that I meant $45 is market price for BOTH the necklace and earrings. Don't pay $100 for those cliche pieces.
>>
>>16767534
The necklaces you saw were most likely silver with rhodium plating

>In the Rhodium plating process, 925 Sterling Silver is given a nickel underplate prior to Rhodium plating. The nickel is magnetic and causes the magnetic attraction. The Rhodium is not magnetic.
>>
>>16767537
>>16767572
These guys get it
>>
>>16767572
>I also don't like that she asked you for something this specific
On the other hand, OP doesn't seem to know much about jewelry. It's also expensive and is something you wear. Kind of makes it better to get something specific.
>>
>>16767648
No, there is not enough rhodium in the plating to make the whole thing visibly magnetic. If the item will actually stick to a magnet, it is neither silver or gold.
>>
>>16767694
Sorry meant nickel, not rhodium.
>>
>>16767534
Isn't that fraud on some level? Zales is a high tier store with reputation. Why would they sell fake silver? I thought they were based on honesty
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.