[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you switch religion for the girl you love?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1974.jpg (19 KB, 256x253) Image search: [Google]
1974.jpg
19 KB, 256x253
Would you switch religion for the girl you love?
>>
No. Religion is non-negotiable for me.

I wouldn't want to date anyone who would switch religions for me, either.
>>
>>16763019
No
>>
>>16763019

No. Religion isn't something to be taken lightly. I'm agnostic, but the entire point of religion is that you're committing your eternal existence to one thought, one ideal. For a span of time that we can't comprehend, you're picking your path.

If you don't really believe in it, you're just faking it for a piece of gash. Don't fake the rest of your fucking life.

If you believe in something, do it because it inspires you, and builds a strength in you that you can't find otherwise. Not to satisfy someone's family.
>>
>>16763019
>Would you switch religion for the girl you love?

I cant. Its like asking me to believe the world is flat.

Anyone who changes their religion is a fucking moron who never really understood religion in the first place.
>>
>>16763019
Yes, as long as she understood and was ok with my approaching it as a skeptic.
I respect it and I'll participate, but I probably won't be the most observant.

My mother converted for my father, and was fairly devout. I figure as long as my personal beliefs aren't super strong that's fine by me.

That being said the girl I'm seeing is Shinto, so I gather there's a lot of wiggle room anyway.
>>
>>16763037
you really believe religion plays that huge of a role in your life?
>>
>>16763019
I would probably require the opposite in order to marry a woman.

Luckily I'm dating a German girl, so converting her to Judaism probably won't be too hard.
>>
>>16763162

It should, that's the entire point of it, is it not? Why "believe" in something if you don't think it influences the existence of your soul and all of your being? Otherwise it's an arbitrary set of goals just like not being religious.

Again, I'm not religious, I don't think anything is out there, but it is purely disingenuous to act like it does to get laid or gather the approval of whoever you're fucking.
>>
>>16763019

it depends. as a general rule, no, why bother? people are temporary, and relationships even more so.

that being said, how strict is she? is she gonna expect you to follow all these weird rules? and if you LOVE her, hwo did you get this far without it being an issue?

me personally if they are a casual observer and just want me to go to church with them once in a while, discuss a little scripture, why not? most religions are extremely fucking interesting when you get past the very basic surface stuff were all aware of. church is basically one big 'hang in there' poster but you get to sing and usually theres free donuts after, and the people pretend to be so wholesome it feels nice.

but if she wants you to commit to believin, nah why bother?
>>
>>16763019
Absolutely not. Took 7 years of deep introspection to find out what I believe and get comfortable with it. I'm open to talking about things or visiting her place of worship but the odds are practically nil that I would change. I've been what I am almost half my life now.

Luckily my wife shares my views mostly and our daughter is being raised to make up her own mind when she's old enough.

Respect others. That means allow them to believe whatever they want or not at all and they should do the same for you. If you can't do that, it's going to fail.
>>
>>16763211
OP here, in order for me to marry this girl, I'd have to be Muslim.
That's the pickle I'm in, although marriage is still a bit far into the future.
And i doubt my parents would even condone to me changing religions for a girl.
Also, a side note, I'm not religious.
>>
>>16763019
Honestly I'd never do anything like get a tattoo for someone etc. unless I was engaged.
>>
>>16763279

thank god, cuz marriage is definitely more permanent than tattoos. youd have nothing to worry about.

>>16763243

maybe cross that bridge when you get there? i mean if you're dating the girl does it really matter? you can legally marry her. if she wants her muslim wedding you can 'convert' then never go, yeah?
>>
You`re walking straight into a trap
>>
no
i'll tolerate beliefs that don't line up with my own, but I won't convert solely to please a girl
>>
>>16763329
>not the guy you're replying to
depending on the global location, people have been killed for lack of religious participation
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.