[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that people think I'm an asshole when I tell jokes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Serious-fish-spongebob.jpg (35 KB, 544x517) Image search: [Google]
Serious-fish-spongebob.jpg
35 KB, 544x517
Why is it that people think I'm an asshole when I tell jokes? Like if I make a joke in a group of 10 people, only 3 will laugh, the rest look at me like I said I killed someone.

(No they are not racial/religious/otherwise not "PC" jokes)
>>
>>16762325
Jailbird jokes are only understood by jailbirds. Trust me. I know what you're talking about.
>>
>>16762325
give examples
i want a laugh
>>
>>16762335
I'm not a criminal, sorry.

>>16762349
It's mostly situational/ironic humor.
>>
>>16762374
>It's mostly situational/ironic humor.

i thought so

set the scenario and tell me what you said senpai
>>
>>16762374
Ok its not jailbird humor. I feel sorry for you. You're simply not funny and make the situation awkward, which is while people laugh. I laugh when someone makes a stupid joke that embarrasses himself. You can see it in his face. Hahahaha. Do something and get yourself in prison, a year there would break your shell.
>>
>>16762383
Office meeting.

This morning - the manager says some of systems are not operating properly. I joke and say "so much for the IT department" a few people laugh.
Manager gets offended and says that the department has been really backed up this week so it's not their fault and they're doing their best.
>>
>>16762422
It's because you insulted the IT department, and people you work with either realize how much they depend on it or they know people in it or they feel like laughing would compromise their image of loyalty to the company.

There are loads of reasons not to like that kind of joke, lol.
>>
>>16762422

How is that funny to the IT Manager? You sound like a snarky asshole.
>>
>>16762384
>Do something and get yourself in prison, a year there would break your shell.
what the fuck

>>16762422
what>>16762425
said
>>
>>16762425
>>16762431

But I'm not trying to be mean. How do I make people not think I'm an asshole?
>>
>>16762435
adding to what i said earlier it depends how you say something
if you said that comment about the IT department with a terminator demeanor versus with a grin on your face teasingly it could come off as douchebaggy
>>
>>16762443

Um, you have to be intelligent. Would you want another saying the same thing to you if you were IT Manager? Start there.
>>
>>16762445
I say it with a smile. Plus I'm always friendly and helpful in the office. It's not like I go around making fun of people.

>>16762447
I can take a joke, so no it wouldn't bother me. I pay more attention to behavior, not things people say.
>>
>>16762488
>I can take a joke, so no it wouldn't bother me. I pay more attention to behavior, not things people say.

You shouldn't automatically assume other people are as thick-skinned as you.
>>
It is not a joke. It is an empty mock. Just because you try to tell jokes does not make it a good thing. The best thing you can do is stop making "jokes" in response to what someone says.
>>
>>16762443
Close your mouth
>>
>>16762422
Jesus fucking christ. That's not a joke. That's just an unfunny comment. Not witty at all. Seems like the problem is that you're not just funny despite thinking otherwise.
>>
>>16762422

There isnt even deadpan wit on there. There are only a few people who can pull of a joke like that, but they wouldn't say it like how you did.
>>
I have this same problem. Help.
>>
>>16764432
Hang out with people who are genuinely funny. Learn from them.
>>
>>16762422
Lots of people nowadays are hypersensitive crybabies. That's the problem, OP.
>>
That's not even a joke, it's just you being negative about a group of people. It's like if your chef friend accidentally overcooked the food and you said "so much for being a chef".
Not funny at all, just rude and at best would elicit a brush off from the recipient
>>
>>16762443
>How do I make people not think I'm an asshole?
Make jokes that aren't at the expense of other people.
>>
OP clearly has aspergers, I feel bad for him
>>
>>16762443

in your example, instead of saying 'so much for the IT department', you could have:

pointed at one of your friends and said, 'just the ones he uses, hopefully?' (ahaha fuck you too greg, normal ballbusting)

said 'its fine, nobody actually uses computers'

said 'its fine, just put (inarguably critical project) on hold'

or

OR

you couldve said nothing, & instead asked if there are any resources or ways your department could help lighten IT's load

do you tell jokes because you want people to laugh, or because you want them to think youre funny?

if its the second one, they wont
>>
>>16762422
>I joke and say "so much for the IT department"

This is a problem of social context. The joke isn't funny when you're in a context where you are understood to be insulting them. The humor inherent in a joke like that comes from the implicit understanding that you are on the same side as the IT department and are 100% in support of them - then it's unexpected for you to say it. If you're not ingratiated to the target of "asshole humor" like that, then you're just coming off as an asshole.

If you'd said "oops, I guess I shouldn't have been using the computers to build a fort" that might have been better - you're insulting yourself instead of other people. You can also do it with your friends/family who know you love them and are just kidding. Doesn't work otherwise.
>>
>>16762422

What was the joke? You heard the systems were underperforming and accused the IT guys of not doing their jobs. THERE WAS NO JOKE. You just made a (likely baseless or unfair) douchebag comment.

Let's say it was you or your department. The manager mentions that your whateverthefuck is behind schedule, and some guy smirks and says, "Well, what do you expect with OP on the job?" Is that funny to you, especially given the circumstances? Or do you feel like you were just mocked and called incompetent?

Think about it.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.