[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It sucks being an adult
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 450x600
I'm taking some difficult courses this semester and in one class the professor told us that we should be spending 20 hours each week on the material. I spend maybe 5ish hours each week just reading the book and doing homework and then feel burned out. My grades are starting to slip probably as a result of not spending 20 hours studying this stuff. But I kind of feel almost indifferent about it.

What should I do? If I quit school I'll be basically screwed. Can't live on the wages I earn now really. But it feels hard to care right now, and motivation comes in spurts. In other classes it was easy to get A's which is what I'm used to. But now I NEED these classes and it's going to be this hard from here on out. Maybe I should switch majors and become and accountant.
>>
>>16762047
20 hours a week? thats like 3 hours a day man

set a schedule for yourself and stick to it. This semester is gonna suck, but its only a semester

dont give up now, its fucking February man
>>
>>16762047
My uni course says should do two hours work for every hour at uni. I do less than two hours a week and its still going well, don't push yourself too hard
>>
>>16762056
I guess we'll see. This is a class that most people drop. Coworker said when she took it there were 5 students at the end, and it's always packed at the start. Guess I should complain less and work harder.

>>16762142
Well if I don't push myself hard I will fail. Already it's going very poorly.
>>
>>16762151
its probably a very rewarding class, and i imagine that professor is well connected. if you kick ass in the class, he will remember you

But hey man, it's all up to you to do it
>>
>>16762174
She's scary as fuck. A type for sure. First day she said I hope none of you crack and recommended we consider counseling. It's too late to kick ass in the class since I've done so badly already. Really just hoping to pass. Class uses different grading scale so 75% is pass, 83% is B and 92% is A.
>>
>>16762189
What fucking major are you in, and what fucking class is this?
>>
>>16762224
this is A&P. hoping to be accepted into nursing.
>>
>>16762189
She sounds hot

Anyway, I've been in those situations too man. Keep at it and hit the books hard. If you fail, try again. I don't think you'll be happy with yourself if you give up
>>
>>16762247
what is happiness? i'd much rather be a liberal arts major but i know too many of those with BA degrees that are struggling to make ends meet.

this STEM stuff gets old. i mean i really am interested in the material but don't understand why we have to rush through everything the way we do. i'd be okay with yearlong classes even if it took twice as long to graduate.
>>
>>16762276
Because college is expensive. People expect 4 or 5 year degrees, this is the result.

If you're okay with taking twice as long to graduate, then do it. Go like 8 credits a semester and you'd have just about the same workload as if it were spread out a year
>>
>>16762299
it just seems like all the classes are very fast-paced. taking fewer credits wouldn't alleviate my frustration. complaining won't do me any good i suppose.

does anyone know what the mass of vascularized connective tissue that temporarily forms during wound healing is? like off the top of your head, don't go out of your way. she keeps asking these questions that aren't in the texts. annoying wasting all this time in google searches trying to find stuff
>>
>>16762244
Ah, so it's more rote memorization than problem solving? I'm an engineer taking 20 hours (with two classes at the exact same time slot) and I just need to do maybe 4-5 hours of combined work/study per week.
>>
>>16762350
yeah the study of human structure and the function of those structures. and i still have no idea how to memorize it. she told us not to try to memorize everything because "our brains would explode", but literally everything comes down to memorization and recall of this stuff so wtf man. it's becoming obvious that there is not time to memorize everything. gotta be some trick to this. better students than me are making A's somehow i'm sure :P
>>
okay pretty sure it's granulation tissue. thanks google <3
>>
>>16762174
Making a lot of assumptions there...

>>16762244
>A&P
Jesus Christ I'm probably taking that next semester. Feeling kind of scared now.
>>
>>16762378
what are you taking now? i killed general bio with an A and the first like week of A&P was bio review. this class is easily 10x harder lol

you'll make it though i'm sure. i'm a terrible student no lie.
>>
>>16762391
I'm basically taking this semester off. A&P isn't a graduation requirement for me, but it is a prereq for graduate programs in occupational therapy.
>>
>>16762415
oh yeah. it's basically a requirement for anyone getting into anything remotely human health related. guy in my math class last semester was really upset about how hard it was. he was like, "i just want to be a fucking PE teacher! this is bullshit!"

that stuck in my mind for some reason. you'll do fine don't stress. i'm just hardcore lazy and have no idea how to school.
>>
>>16762047
I'm an engineering student, so I don't really know about the stuff you're studying, but gradually ramp up the study time. If you're scheduled, you can make yourself put in the time. And for rote memorization stuff, long sessions usually makes progress slower. Use small time slots like on the bus, on the shitter, before eating etc.
Also, study for 15 mins whenever you want to look at 4chan.
Think of this semester as wartime, sacrifices got to be made.
Good luck
>>
>>16762461
will try, thank you. it does feel like wartime; and there are many uphill battles. constantly fighting against my own laziness :(
>>
>>16762378
nah, most college professors who challenge their students like this are well connected
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.