[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it stupid to throw all my chips on producing music? I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 709x765
Is it stupid to throw all my chips on producing music? I mean I've been doing it since I was 9 years old and I don't really want to be a mega star like diplo or skrillex my only goal is to just make enough money off it to own a 1 story house in long beach or ft lauderdale with a cool car and maybe a motorcycle or something. In a field where people make millions I should be able to make the lower echelon of 5 figures. Right?
>>
>>16758025
What genre?
>>
>>16758034
Trap beats like lex Luger 808 mafia sonny digital
>>
File: holdup.png (356 KB, 658x357) Image search: [Google]
holdup.png
356 KB, 658x357
>>16758025

Bet big on yourself!!!

The only person who will at this stage is you. Throw all your chips in, you know why? Because if you don't go all in, the second shit gets tough, you will just retreat. You need to make it so you CAN'T retreat.

Fuck all these weak ass goals you have. You need to be the example. You need to be the next skrillex, you need to be a success. Who wants maybe a motorcycle? How about you want 5 motorcycles and a jet, how about 3 jets?

Make your goals definite. Make your goals motivate you to want to wake up and put in the work. Make your goals so outrageous you have to constantly think about "HOW THE FUCK AM I going to possibly do this" When you have that mindset, ideas and creativity come easier to you. Goodluck
>>
You're way better of doing some freelancer hip hop work than EDM. That shit's run down. I don't see it getting any better. To be honest, no. There's no way you're gonna make a living. Piracy is becoming really hard to prevent so all sales go through touring which you won't make as a ghost producer unless you got a steady client/employeer. Your best chance is getting with an established hip hop label. I really don't see how you aren't recognized yet or have garnished some connection if you've been producing since 9. Something tells me you're bad.

TL;DR: Get a degree, music production is a no man's zone unless you're an established producer doing EDM.
>>
>>16758040
EDM will die in a few years, 10 at most. Plus, with the huge saturation of "artists" you will need to be really good/promote yourself like a motherfucker to even make a few grand.
>>
File: 1404012000634.gif (988 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1404012000634.gif
988 KB, 500x400
>>16758025

Not all chips are equal.

If you're producing music because you want a cool house and a cool motorcycle and to look cool you're going to fail because the market of fuccbois on CDJs and laptops making trap beats to jump around on stage in bucket hats is huge, and you're not going to stand out.

Despite what people say about the state of modern music, without the "mega star" kind of money that Diplo or Skrillex have people will be able to tell disingenuous you are.

Do what you love, throw all of your time and effort into making music YOU like and being just as excited about a song whether or not it gets 10 plays or 10 million.

That doesn't mean you have to be stupid about it. Most every famous musician has had a day job or another way or generating income if not for the simple fact that music equipment is expensive, but its hard work.

Driving to shows every weekend, promoting your own shit, sleeping on couches and in vans and in Walmart parking lots, making no money on a show simply because you need the exposure. Making it big sucks, and the dream of a cool car and motorcycle will not keep you going.

If you truly love music producing and have loved it since you were 9 then making money isn't important.

The money will become because you want to make good music, good music will not come because you want to make money.
>>
>>16758100
10 at most? It's already dying. It's almost dead, sonny.
>>
>>16758025
I always say that the difference in stupidity and balls is all in whether or not you understand the risks. Getting into music because you think it'll be a cakewalk and have no idea of the competition or the demands of the market is stupid. Being fully aware of who's doing what, the amount of work you need to do, and how much the odds are stacked against you, and still going in is ballsy.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go into music, but if you are, just remember: don't be stupid, be ballsy. Know what you're getting into.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.