[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't know why but I feel like this could be really useful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (127 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
127 KB, 1920x1080
I don't know why but I feel like this could be really useful later on. /adv/ how do you treat a knife would? Like I just got jumped by a nigger and he mugged me kind of wound.
>>
>>16755247
Pressure to the wound. If a limb then elevate it.
>>
Pressure to wound (harder, don't stop)
Turnicate (get assistance)
Ambulance (for stitches)
>>
>>16755298
Ambulance can be a friend in his car
>>
>>16755293
paramedic here, due to all the trauma experience gleaned from the Iraq/Afghanistan wars its now no longer recommended to elevate limbs to stop uncontrolled bleeding because it doesn't actually do anything.

take off some clothing and use it to apply direct pressure to the wound, call 911, get to a hospital ASAP
>>
>>16755307
What if you niggas is watching you go into an ambulance like some bitch?
>>
If you're stabbed and it's still in there, don't pull it out. That'll just fuck the wound up way more and cause you to bleed out - it's why Steve Irwin died, that stingray could have stabbed a frail 80 year old too weak to pull it out, and he'd have been fine.

Watch out about tourniquets, I'm not 100% but I've heard you shouldn't actually use them except in specific circumstances. Use them wrong, you could just cost yourself a limb. Look it up if you want specifics, idk, I trust too much that I won't get stabbed to have it memorised.
>>
>>16755320
Yeah I was told that about tournacates by a nurse. I'm pretty persistent in my false beliefs.
>>
>>16755316
then walk to the hospital

I was in an ER the other day just doing some paperwork getting ready to transport some old woman back to her nursing home when this kid (looked like he was maybe 16-17) and his friend walked in. He'd been stabbed in the back right above his ass, stab wound was DEEP too, about 5 inches. His friend disappeared almost immediately, was pretty cool to see the ER nurses and doc actually move fast for once starting a line on the kid and getting him stitched up. Then the place was absolutely crawling with cops and CSI guys taking pictures of everything.

Of all the times I get sent out because some idiot has a tooth ache and called a fucking ambulance, here's this kid who got stabbed in the back and just walked to the ER.

>>16755320
tourniquets have been found to be much less harmful than was thought and are making a comeback. Again another side effect of all the research into trauma we got from the iraq war.
>>
>>16755335
I've heard stories of people walking on broken ankles and shattered femurs. I saw one guy shuffle to the nurse's office with an exploded knee.
>>
>>16755348
yeah a friend of mine once drove himself to the hospital when he was having pneumohemothorax (look it up), he very nearly died

some people really don't want to call 911
>>
>>16755358
I've called an ambulance for dissociation because I thought it was psychosis
>>
>>16755362
honestly don't ever feel bad about calling an ambulance if you think you need one

in the ems we use the term "bullshit" to refer to calls where it was not really life threatening and that person didn't really need an ambulance but I hate that term. If someone called 911 then obviously it was an emergency to them.
>>
>>16755307

>due to all the trauma experience gleaned from the Iraq/Afghanistan wars its now no longer recommended to elevate limbs to stop uncontrolled bleeding because it doesn't actually do anything.

It immediately, and dramatically, slows the bleeding. It buys time, if somebody's bleeding out. It keeps more of your fucking blood inside of you. And it keeps things cleaner while you're actually working on stitching/bandaging the wound. Obviously you still have to close up the wound somehow, elevating it doesn't solve the whole problem, but it slows down the process of dying while you work on a more permanent solution.

You must be some kind of bullshit paramedic to say "it doesn't actually do anything," it's a matter of fucking gravity. It's common sense, and it's kept people alive for thousands of years.
>>
>>16755391
its literally been removed from our protocols along with applying secondary pressure along pressure points

medicine is a constantly changing science, you don't keep doing something just because "its kept people alive for thousands of years" when the research doesn't support it.

We also recently stopped using backboards for spinal stabilization in nearly all cases because it was found moving the patient onto the backboard was doing more harm than good. Those have been a staple of EMS since its very inception.
>>
>>16755247
If you get stabbed and your lung doesn't get pierced, you want to apply pressure, clean the wound, then apply dressing before going to the emergency room.

If your lung happens to be pierced, then cover the wound taping three sides but leaving the bottom open. That way any blood can be exhaled out, but not inhaled in and drowning you.
>>
>>16755400

What's wrong with elevating wounds? I'm not a professional, but even a non-professional can easily observe the effect of elevating a freely bleeding wound. It slows the bleeding down. It's pretty much the same principle as siphoning a liquid. If blood loss is a serious risk, if you're not in hospital conditions and you're waiting on an ambulance or patching yourself up, is it not a good idea to slow the bleeding down and keep as much blood inside your body as possible?

I'm genuinely curious. It just seems like such a common-sense thing, it's hard to see how recent research from the war in Iraq could prove otherwise. It's like saying recent research proves that you won't fall down if you jump off the roof.
>>
>>16755429
Military medic here. Elevate the wound. Gravity is real and does work that way. What the paramedic is trying to say i think is that when you can do other things, you shouldn
t prioritize elevating it. If you just got mugged, stabbed in the forearm, put as hard of pressure as you can on that shit, and elevate it above your head
>>
>>16755429
confirmation bias, it might seem common sense but clinical trials have proven that its effects are so minimal that there's no point. Do it if will make you feel better, but its not actually gonna save you.
>>
>>16755335
>tourniquets have been found to be much less harmful than was thought and are making a comeback. Again another side effect of all the research into trauma we got from the iraq war.
Uuuuurgh. I can't keep up with this shit, fucking Baren Von Once Good Then Bad Now Good Again Tourniquet. How about I just don't get stabbed, is that an option?
>>
>>16755443

The way you're phrasing that just doesn't make any sense to me. It won't necessarily SAVE you in itself, but it will slow bleeding, which will stave off death from blood loss. You still have to worry about closing the wound and preventing infection, so it's not like elevation = guaranteed survival, but it takes care of one of the most immediate dangers, it's one of many measures that can and should be taken.

I feel like you're misinterpreting statistics here. It's like "in 300 cases, the wound was elevated, and 270 of them still died" and you take that to mean elevating wounds is highly ineffective, ignoring the hundreds of other variables at play in each individual case
>>
>>16755429

Not the guy your responding to, and not a pro either, but the 'common sense' to me was always 'it couldn't make much of a difference'.
Like, if you have a sealed cup of water and there's a hole in the bottom, obviously turning it upside down will stop it from leaking. But blood is pressurised, so it's more like turning a garden hose upside down and expecting the water to stop pumping out, it's not really going to do anything.
Disclaimer, I'm also not a gardener.
>>
>>16755467
look all I know is that raising the limb above the head was removed from our protocols for arterial bleeding of an upper extremity because of its negligible effect on controlling the bleeding.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.