[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is a "Career"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: 150915-213633.jpg (87 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
150915-213633.jpg
87 KB, 640x480
Hey /b/ros, I need some advice. Pic related, it me. I know, I'm hideous. At least I can cook.

I'm young (21) and I've made the mistake of growing up too fast. It sounds strange, but my ambition got the best of me. I already have three degrees (one A.S. and two B.S.) and I've somehow just now come to realize that I value a positive, comfortable work environment more than I value the work itself. I'm about $100,000 in debt and struggling to decide between getting a graduate program or a real job. My field (Nutrition/ Food Science) doesn't pay that well. With a grad degree I might make $50K a year entry level if I'm lucky, w/ loan payments I'll be below poverty level. I know, how the fuck did someone like me, someone able to fly through school like a fucking bullet, not think this through? I'm smart, but obviously not that smart. So, the question is: graduate school, real job, or career change? Assume any career is an option.

So, where do you work and what do you do? Do you like either (work/ workplace)? What's your advice?
>>
>>16753622
>I'm young (21)
>I already have three degrees

How in the fuck? Did you start college at age 12?

--

Anyway, just look for jobs. Apply for anything that you think sounds good.
>>
>>16753622
If you have a science background, why don't you pursuit a MD?
>>
Why the fuck would you have got yourself that much into debt?
>>
>>16753622
$50K/year entry level isn't that bad. Especially at 21. If you have some upward mobility in terms of salary it's especially not that bad.

Just start working. If you don't like it look for another job and put in a two weeks notice and leave on amicable terms.
>>
Lol OP you are not ugly lol
>>
>>16753622
What were your other 2 degrees?
>>
>>16754030
I started college when I was 16, took on a heavy course load for 4 years and always took summer classes. Both my B.S. degrees branched off my A.S. It's really not as impressive as it sounds, It was just a lot of work and probably more stress than it was worth.

>>16754043
Kind of. One is a B.S. is in Nutrition, but it was a fairly condensed program and didn't have the traditional science base every other bio/chem/med degree has so if I want to get into med school I'd have to take a handful of science courses that are only offered sequentially (e.g. GenChem 1, then 2, then Ochem 1, then 2). An MD is something I have considered, but its really fucking expensive and I'm already in a deep fucking hole.

>>16754047
I honestly thought with the amount of education I was obtaining and the somewhat relevant work experience I got concurrently, that I would be able to find a job that could pay it off within a reasonable amount of time. I think that's the preconception most college students have. Unfortunately, for most people, it's entirely false.

>>16754081

50K is probably what I would make entry level after I got an MS which could take up to two years and add another 50K to my debt. After taxes, 50K is only 37K ish a year and my student loan payments would be $1500ish (minimum payment) a month, leaving me with, if I'm lucky, $1500 a month or 18K a year. Realistically, I should be paying more than the minimum loan payment. My interest rates are fucked because my parents are well off and so I didn't get shit from federal loans. All my interest rates are 7-9%.
>>
>>16754166
>I honestly thought with the amount of education I was obtaining and the somewhat relevant work experience I got concurrently, that I would be able to find a job that could pay it off within a reasonable amount of time. I think that's the preconception most college students have. Unfortunately, for most people, it's entirely false.
Yeah, but why didn't you stop at one qualification?

Anyway, like the others have suggested, go and find a job now. Don't get yourself more in debt.
>>
>>16754166
>It's really not as impressive as it sounds

Doesn't sound all that impressive desu.

What impresses me are results- not degrees.

When you get a job making good money, then I'll be impressed.

Also, you're a rich kid, huh?

My advice for you is get on your knees, beg your parents to pay off all your student loan debt, and then owe them debt at 3% interest instead of 9%.

Rich kids have a lot of advantages in life, one of those is access to capital, use it idiot.
>>
>>16753622
>So, where do you work and what do you do? Do you like either (work/ workplace)? What's your advice?
>>16754185

Almost forgot-

I work as a liquidator. Love my work. Love it, live for work-

My advice is if you want REAL success in life, you have to LIVE to WORK, not WORK to LOVE.

Otherwise, you will be completing in your field against people that LIVE to WORK, and they will kick your ass and mop the floor with you
>>
>>16754119
My A.S. is in Culinary Arts. B.S. #1 is in Food Service Management. B.S. #2 is in Nutrition. My GPA was about a 3.7.

I liked cooking as a kid and my family pushed for me to go to culinary school. My high school grades were shit (prolly because I could have reasonably been diagnosed as depressed by my family didn't believe in medicating children) but I was in a vocational culinary program that, surprise, was about the only thing I did well in. So culinary school was the only thing that made sense at the time and I didn't see any other option. When I finally started working in the industry I realized I fucked up and, having already accelerated my degree program in Food Service Management, looked for a way out which is when I applied for the Nutrition program. All my degrees are from Johnson & Wales University. I thought about transferring to another school but JWU was on a trimester system and heard horror stories about transferring credits and how hard it was just to get accepted as a transfer from JWU.
>>
>>16754185

Funny you would call me a rich kid. I wasn't poor, but I wasn't rich growing up. Dad made about 140K a year, mom didn't work until highschool and I had two brothers. My dad got let go from his job because it was in IT and they decided to outsource. This happened my junior year of uni. Has had trouble finding another one and since then my mom's 30K a year job is the only income they've had.

I was making $20/hour at my last job, got let go because it was a small company and one of our 200k/year clients closed down. I've never been rejected a job I interviewed for, but I've never really liked any of my jobs either.

>>16754193
Thank you for your incredibly vague insight into every field in existence because apparently every person in existance lives to work and loves their fucking job. What kind of drugs are you on and where can I get some?
>>
>>16754256

How is it vague?

Not everyone lives to work. Most people don't. Most people also don't succeed in life.

It's pretty simple- work harder than the guy next to you and you will do better than him- do you understand that?

Also, since you posted your face apparently looking for advice- lose weight you fat shit.

There is a normal looking guy hiding under that lard
>>
>>16754297

What can I say? I like food.

I always work hard. I don't know how you can assume otherwise. I busted my fucking ass to earn my 3 degrees in the same time it takes a normal person get 1, and I worked full time while doing it. There's a difference between working harder than the guy next than you and liking your job. It was fucking stressful and I hated it, that's why I'm considering a new job/ field. It doesn't mean I'm not going to work hard, it just means I might actually like what I do more if I'm not stressed all the fucking time.
>>
>>16753622
You sound a little bit immature. Also, could you fuck off with that pretentious bullshit? You do know that youre not hideous,faggot
>>
>>16754381

The guy that likes his job and works harder than you will beat you everytime.

You're meh tier- you're better than the guy that doesn't like his job and doesn't work very hard
>>
File: 1447695089499.png (88 KB, 222x214) Image search: [Google]
1447695089499.png
88 KB, 222x214
>>16753622
>ugly
Nope, I would ride your cock all night long.
>>
>What the fuck is a "Career"?

A historical relic of the baby boom.
>>
>>16754185
Lol this is the guy who's so insufferable no woman wants to be around him except when he's paying for stuff, why are you even here, I thought you were busy making millions all day long with your alpha friends?
>>
>>16754462

Thanks! I think.
I honestly just hope you're not fucking with me (did I just make a joke?). Idk. I get rejected a lot. #BetaAsFuck
>>
>>16754185
*tips*

I lurk usually just coming in to say your a faggot
>>
>>16754256
Literally
>my dad made 140k annually but we werent rich
>for some reason i think degrees double and triple salary amounts based on degree count and went 100k in debt for these
>i picked awful degrees and in a best case scenario and 2 years ill make 50k

Might as well go all the way into rich kid faggotry and blame affluenza for not getting you ready for the real world
>>
>>16754166
>and add another 50K to my debt
I'm having panic attacks just by reading this
>>
You get two jobs, go live with parents and pay your debt in 3 years
>>
>>16753622
What jobs have you had (in uni and now)? I don't see them listed anywhere in the thread. That's pretty crucial to giving career advice.

What possible career change are you considering? What transferable skills do you have?

You really shouldn't go to grad school. Work off your debts for a while and maintain a real job for a few years. Figure out what kind of job you like and have a career plan. THEN go to grad school to make yourself more marketable for that career plan. Don't go to grad school just because you don't like where you are now and you don't know what to do. That's just going to put you in a deeper hole.

Also, why do you think you'll make more after getting an MS? It isn't necessarily true, especially if you're already bad at positioning and valuing yourself (which you are).
>>
>>16755339

I was a peer tutor for 3 years, it payed min. and I got about 4K a year in scholarship from it. I also worked as a product development intern for about a year before transitioning into full time product development manager a few months before graduating but we lost a big client a few months later and I got let go (see previous post). Those are the two most relevant things. I tutored in pretty much every subject I took because it was a small school and the demand was high. I had a fuck ton of statistics and accounting students, with some basic math and science students sprinkled in.

As for transferable skills, I would say: Basic math skills, finance, communication, project management, basic technical skills. I learn pretty quickly when I want to. It's impossible to know everything when you're tutoring, so it's important to know how to use your resources to find the solution and introduce the same thought process to your student.

I tutor privately now and for a community college near by. Pay is shit for both because the community college is cheap and there's a lot of competition in my area as far as private tutoring goes (lots of adjunct professors and college grads like me). I also volunteer at a local medical center because my program was an accredited dietetics program and I wanted to keep my options open if I decided to pursue the Registered Dietitian credential (it involves volunteer work necessary to get an accredited Dietetic Internship which is unpaid and charges tuition, and then you can sit for the exam).

I did my research for both dietetic and food science positions and, based on graduate education, I would generally see an increase from 40K to 50K a year. I did this by looking through pay ranges for entry level positions in both categories, distinguishing those that only required a bachelors from those that required a masters.
>>
>>16755153
>let's pick on OP, fuck him for asking for advice
>>
>people are seriously responding to stale copy pasta
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.