[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how to study?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: smh.gif (489 KB, 500x198) Image search: [Google]
smh.gif
489 KB, 500x198
How should I study? I can't concentrate at all, Even if I manage to force myelf to sit down to study, after half an hour I'm doing something else or my mind starts wandering by itself. I don't know how to stop this. I try but nothing works it just fucking happens, It's going on for a year now. People tell me I need discipline and good habits but how do I acquire that? I can't even start. Any advice? Or links with advice? Or anything? I'm so desperate that I'll even read self-help books I don't know what to do.
(I wish I was like Hermione)
>>
You could try focus enhancing drugs like Ritalin. Either fake symptoms of ADHD and get it legit or buy some off students.
>>
File: original.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
>>16752274
>Drugs are a solution to any problem!
>>
I used to recopy my notes by hand over and over for subjects that merely required memorization.

Overall just keep distractions to a minimum and study in a a different location. Keep trying different things until something works for you.
>>
File: tumblr_ndjwad45gc1taeqnfo1_500.gif (974 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndjwad45gc1taeqnfo1_500.gif
974 KB, 500x281
>>16752299
I need to be on PC to do most of my school work, I need internet as well. I tried blocking the websites I frequent, doesn't work I either went on other websites or got distracted by something else, like I notice a book and I start to read it for no fucking reason whatsoever and only realise this after like 15 minutes of reading or I just think about shit for a while before I realize that I'm supposed to study.

Changing location doesn't really work either because I'm in dorms, only have the room and the school library is almost an hour away so it's not practical.

>>16752274
I don't know many people here, I don't really want to buy shit like that off students I don't know, I don't need trouble. But I guess I'll set up an appointment with the school shrink. Is ADD like a real thing? Because reading the symptom list on the web it looks like I won't really need to fake the symptoms.
>>
>>16752337
fuck off anime poster
>>
Depends on what kind of studying you need to do (reading, writing, solving equations etc), but in my field it's mostly reading.
I try study early in the morning, or as soon as possible. I never stay up late to study, and I always make sure not to study on an empty stomach. Basically you want to be as alert and awake as possible. Drinking a pot of coffee is not a substitute for sleep.
The studying I have to do is mostly reading, and I try to force myself to become more active by doing mental recaps and underlining important parts. The more active you are the less likely it is that your mind will start to wander. Take regular breaks and get exercise. Try to establish how much studying you should do each day (but do it in pages read or words written or whatever, not time), and reward yourself when you stick to it.
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 500x710) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 500x710
>>16752274
I swear to fucking god if I could I would ban people for this kind of advice.

Do not do this OP.
>>
>>16752263

You need to put yourself into an environment where distraction triggers are less common.

You didn't include many details about your situation, OP, but if you're on a college campus I would do something like the following:

Figure out how much time you need to study each day and at the begging of the day write down a schedule of exactly what times you're going to study that day, in 1-3 hour blocks.

Then, you take a long-ish walk to a library on campus, without your phone and laptop, and find a table in the quite part of the library and set a timer for 1 hour. You study for that hour. Then when the hour is up, take a 5-10 minute break where you go get some water or go to the bathroom or just take a quick walk. Then do the next hour. Repeat until done with what you scheduled.

I think How To Become a Straight-A Student by Cal Newport would help you. It's a short, easy read. It's not 100% about study habits, but it has advice like this.
>>
>>16752263

>>16752178
>>
>>16752377
I don't know much of Ritalin, what's the problem with it?
>>
File: 1452045651855.png (109 KB, 583x497) Image search: [Google]
1452045651855.png
109 KB, 583x497
>>16752377
>>16752289

Stfu you pussies, There's a reason why it's so popular. Life is full of short cuts and this is one of them.
>>
Pay as much attention as you can in class so that the material sticks the first time. Review it with friends/classmates. That way you benefit from their attention as well, and you'll stay focused with other people there to keep you on topic.
>>
>>16752469
fuck off anime poster. your opinion will never be valid, you awkward fuck
>>
File: 1453634829527.gif (555 KB, 139x140) Image search: [Google]
1453634829527.gif
555 KB, 139x140
>>16752410
Thanks, I will try to schedule like that. The only problem is I need to do quite a bit of programming for school, I need pc to do work and internet to look up documentations as I work, I already tried just using local copies but that didn't work because often I figure out I need to use some different library that I didn't know I would need so I didn't download the docs. And as it happens, pc and internet are the biggest distractions there are so I can't really escape that.

Thanks for the book recommendation I will certainly read through it.
>>
File: 23421341234.png (62 KB, 394x245) Image search: [Google]
23421341234.png
62 KB, 394x245
>>16752476
That's manga, you little mama's good boy faggot.
>>
>>16752485

Try software that will block distracting websites for you. If the one you goes with blocks everything by default, then just whitelist what you need to get your documentation.

I just hand edit my /etc/hosts file... not sure if there's an equivalent if you're on windows. Just having to take that extra step to browse hackernews or 4chan or whatever usually does the trick for me.
>>
>>16752523
I use Productivity Owl on my google botnet. It's pretty good.
>>
>>16752274
Wow, everyone against this is retarded. This is guaranteed to get you studying your ass off.

I prefer Vyvanse however: much cleaner, and you'll be in the mood all day. Crash is more tolerable too.
>>
>>16752448
Drug tolerance.
Comedown.
Addiction.

Google these three^^
>>
>>16752263
This website is really great: Studyblue.com

I use it to study and it's great for making flashcards without wasting a ton of paper. And it will make really nice quizzes for you.

Also, try to study away from home if you can. I always focus better in the library, since I'm not distracted by anything, and you can take your laptop. Also bring a snack, so you can reward yourself with food after finishing a chapter or something.
>>
>>16753207

Looks pretty sweet. Good suggestion.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.