[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do i know if I'm actually depressed or if im just being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: qeDnICz.jpg (205 KB, 499x395) Image search: [Google]
qeDnICz.jpg
205 KB, 499x395
How do i know if I'm actually depressed or if im just being a whiny bitch? I don't want to go on medication unless it is actually damaging me.
>>
>>16745212
Do you feel your mood is depressed most of the time?
Do you feel lacking in energy?
Do you feel unmotivated?

Then there's shit about:
Appetite and weight change
Changes to sleep pattern
Lack of sex drive

A few others

Haven't done psych in ages
>medfag
>>
>>16745231
Thoughts about ending one's life, and harming self too
>>
I think the general rule of thumb is if you're upset because of an actual reason you don't need meds. But if you are depressed just because you're depressed you might.
>>
>>16745242
This is not true

There is no such rule of thumb
>>
>>16745244

Chronic depression is (believed to be) caused by a chemical imbalance. SSRIs and other medications are used to try to correct this imbalance. Feeling sadness from real life events is not a chemical imbalance.

If OP is depressed because his dad just died I highly doubt a psychiatrist would recommend him medication. On the other hand if he's been suffering from depression over a long period of time it would probably help.
>>
>>16745275

depression over a long period of time is also often caused by other things other than a chemical imbalance. its hard to have real emotions when everythigns so artificial. you gotta pretty much focus on it.,
>>
>>16745275
>>16745278
How's highschool science going?

DSM-V outlines guidelines for diagnosis
Grieving for >6months with no improvement is pathological

Seeing everything in an overly negative light, without being able to get over it, is pathological

Cochrane reviews question the efficacy of SSRIs
>>
>>16745212
You're a whiny bitch either way, but you may also be depressed.
>>
File: 1453929586882.png (112 KB, 297x282) Image search: [Google]
1453929586882.png
112 KB, 297x282
>>16745289

maybe one day we'll get to take psychology 101 and be as pretentious as you
>>
>>16745244
This. The rule of thumb is that if you ask for anti-depressants, the doctor will give them to you with very few questions asked.
>>
>>16745289
>quoting pseudoscience

Daily reminder Psychology is a lie and doesn't follow the scientific method
>>
>>16745310
Exactly why I left it behind

But it's still what the docs are going to refer to
>>
>>16745289

But that doesn't even contradict what I said. If anything it supports my original statement. Why would you post that?
>>
>>16745289
>DSM-V outlines guidelines for diagnosis
>Grieving for >6months with no improvement is pathological
That's not how it works and yes, grieving that long isn't something that an emotionally stable person would do.
>Seeing everything in an overly negative light, without being able to get over it, is pathological
Yes.

>Cochrane
lol
>>
File: 1427991751861.png (250 KB, 495x499) Image search: [Google]
1427991751861.png
250 KB, 495x499
>>16745338

because hes so much smarter than us and needs to show it. how else is he going to feel good about his life?
>>
>>16745231
>>16745242
>>16745296
OP here. Thanks for the replies. Ill try to explain my situation. I feel extremely uncomfortable in my own skin. I feel like an inconvenience by allowing people to even see me. I have a retarded walk, severe acne, squinty eyes, terrible social skills, and no social experience (No friends and never had a gf). I am laughed at in public often, making me feel worse and in turn care less, making my appearance worse. I get drunk alone almost every night.
>>
>>16745973
I also hate telling people about these problems in person because i know they don't care. This is the first time i have even told anyone about it in my entire life.
>>
>>16745973
>I feel like an inconvenience by allowing people to even see me
You have super low self esteem. Try to stop giving a fuck about other people's opinions. It takes a while, but it's doable.

>I have a retarded walk
How do you know?

>severe acne
Get medication for it, it exists and it works.

>squinty eyes
What do you mean by that?

> terrible social skills, and no social experience
Welcome to the club pal. Now get a job around people for long enough that you stop being self conscious about them.

> I am laughed at in public often
Really? Or is that just what you think?

>>16745980
>because i know they don't care
For someone who thinks so little of himself, you sure seem to have an elevated view of your own opinion. You only think that because it suits your wallowing in self pity. Yes, some people couldn't care less, but some people would and do care, you just got a figure out which.
>>
>>16746506
Thanks man. Actually appreciate this advice. Tips on not giving a fuck?
>>
>>16746513
Be yourself
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.