[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is psychology a good subject to get a degree in at uni? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8
Is psychology a good subject to get a degree in at uni?
I'm half way through my AS levels so I can't change them and I chose them with psychology in mind, but I'm wondering if that was a good choice.
My current courses are Biology, Maths: Statistics, Sociology and Philosophy&Ethics
>>
>>16741769
Psychology is pseudoscience
>>
File: this guy....png (137 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
this guy....png
137 KB, 300x300
>>16741773
except it's conducted using scientific means and therefore is science.
>>
Any advice for decent alternative degrees other than something in mathematics or biology?
>>
File: greyfox.jpg (223 KB, 610x340) Image search: [Google]
greyfox.jpg
223 KB, 610x340
>>16741796
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_topics_characterized_as_pseudoscience#Psychology

Except its not and its snake oil made for stupid people to feel irresponsible for their own actions because someone in a position authority told them they have a disorder

The functions of the brain have not been fully mapped and its simply illogical to try to understand how for example a car functions by looking at the surface and study how people drive it
>>
>>16741769
I'm a psychology major as well. It's too late for me, but if you can add a double major with statistics, you're going to have a very good time, especially in getting into top level (and funded) doctorate programs.
>>
File: just walk away.jpg (23 KB, 318x470) Image search: [Google]
just walk away.jpg
23 KB, 318x470
>>16741810
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_topics_characterized_as_pseudoscience#Psychology
Did you even look at the link you posted?
Psychology is a much larger field than what is listed and even then what is listed isn't mainstream psychology. Dude if you don't know what you are talking just stop posting.
>>
>>16741818
>he fell for the psychology meme

I'll take a #2 Large with 20 piece McNuggets, BBQ sauce and a large Oreo McFlurry
>>
>>16741823
In 1959 statistician Theodore Sterling examined the results of psychological studies and discovered that 97% of them supported their initial hypotheses, implying a possible publication bias. Similarly, Fanelli found that 91.5% of psychiatry/psychology studies confirmed the effects they were looking for, and concluded that the odds of this happening (a positive result) was around five times higher than in fields such as space- or geosciences. Fanelli argues that this is because researchers in "softer" sciences have fewer constraints to their conscious and unconscious biases.

Some popular media outlets have in recent years spotlighted a replication crisis in psychology, arguing that many findings in the field cannot be reproduced. Repeats of some famous studies have not reached the same conclusions, and some researchers have been accused of outright fraud in their results. Focus on this issue has led to renewed efforts in the discipline to re-test important findings

I actually do know what I'm talking about, Mad Max is shit series, your response was illogical and using "dude" leads me to believe you simply don't posses the mental acuity to process anything beyond Kanye West lyrics
>>
>>16741810
>"mental illness isn't real"
I think /you/ are the one who has a disorder.
>>
File: Tragedy.jpg (981 KB, 1456x816) Image search: [Google]
Tragedy.jpg
981 KB, 1456x816
>>16741846
Good thing your entire "science" is illogical liberal drivel and the protohugbox for genetically inferior people and charlatans that exist off government grants
>>
>>16741769

I minored in psychology for fun. It seems extremely impractical as a career though, everything I see requires a phd and 10+ years of experience.
>>
>>16741855
you sound like you would reach into your bag for two seconds in class and shoot everyone
>>
>>16741861
Pathetic attempt at character assassination when you have no facts

Typical liberal
>>
File: Click tip.jpg (289 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Click tip.jpg
289 KB, 900x1200
>>16741842
Wow you are a massive, elitist faggot. If something is researched using the scientific method then it is a science.

Also you have one statistician backing up your claims, that's weak. He evaluated data prior to his evaluation. Psychology like any science changes over time.

You have no argument. Little more ad-hominem for you, your pictures and your name reveal your true colors as being an edgy fedora faggot who probably wears all black and listens to ICP.

Also you have shit taste in movies and your waifu is a shit.
>>
>>16741869
damn u told me cho
>>
>>16741873

>responding to tripfags
>>
Doing A2s and have Oxford offer for psychology next year. Planning to go into journalism/advertising after but still not certain. Ask me anything.
>>
>>16741873

I already know I'm right and you have no idea what the scientific method is
>>
>>16741889
Do you have any advice for a stable career path that will get a decent living or recommendations for if I should get a joint degree? Both psychology related
>>
>>16741889
What is the tarrif they want out of you?
>>
>>16741994
I think a psych degree in any top 15 UK uni will open up a massive field of career options, you can't compare it to psychology courses at your local polytechnic which is what most people assume it is. There's plenty of postgrad work around but I think there's plenty of scope to go straight into the city if you're interested in that, as an occupational psychologist or similar. I'm still not 100% certain what I'm going to end up doing after, but the good thing about a psychology degree is that you have aspects of humanities and sciences, so you can still do maths to a good level but also don't write like a STEM autist. Joint honours is up to you, I think Scottish unis do some good ones, St Andrews is my second choice and that has plenty. If you're at all good at stats, see if you can incorporate that into your degree because maths = money. I'm doing Biology, Economics, English and dropped maths last year.

>>16742023
If you mean my offer - A*AA.
>>
>>16742042
Thanks. That's reassuring, especially the part about money because I find maths easy.
Cheers.
>>
>>16742042

>I think a psych degree in any top 15 UK uni will open up a massive field of career options

Notice how it is always undergrads saying things like this.

See you guys in a couple years when you're unemployable.
>>
>>16742058
Where you thinking of applying to? If you want any more application help hmu.
>>
File: serialous tiperous.gif (19 KB, 153x200) Image search: [Google]
serialous tiperous.gif
19 KB, 153x200
>>16741890
Hey bro, you need to be more skeptical of your own beliefs. Otherwise your own knowledge will always be shadowed by your preconceived notions. Also I can smell your low testosterone from here and I can tell you are a brony faggot.
>>
>>16742079
Facts aren't beliefs

Kill yourself
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.