[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Navy SEAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: seal.jpg (364 KB, 1595x1196) Image search: [Google]
seal.jpg
364 KB, 1595x1196
Hey /adv/, I wanna be a U.S. Navy SEAL.
What's the best way to go about this? It is my dream job. Should I just join right as I go into the Navy or just wait?
>>
>I want to be treated like a piece of shit
>Not just any shit, but the WORST shit
>But if I get in then 12 year old will think I'm cool
>>
Do the research.

Are you in extremely good physical shape? Are you going to be able to endure the extreme hardship of the training and lifestyle?

Essentially, do you want to BE a Navy Seal or do you want to DO what a Seal does?

Also, are you ready to enjoy four years in the regular Navy in the likely event you fail? The Navy happily staffs a lot of its shittier jobs with kids who wanted to be Seals.
>>
>>16715169
I want to BE a Navy SEAL.
>>
File: meanwhile.jpg (74 KB, 234x397) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile.jpg
74 KB, 234x397
>>
>>16715184

Yeah, that's the wrong answer.

A lot of people WANT to be a spec ops warrior, or an astronaut, or a trial lawyer. But unless you have actual passion for the job, not just the title, you won't make it. It's too competitive, it's why the Seals are so highly regarded, and simply thinking it would be cool leaves you well behind the pack.

You want to BE a Seal? Play Call of Battlefield 9 on XBox. You want to DO what a Seal does? Get a ruck, fill it with 100 lbs of stuff, and head out into the woods. Hike 20+ miles each day, sleep in the freezing rain, make a week out of it.

If you don't want to do even that, then you don't really want to be a Seal.
>>
>>16715206
I do that. I pack a ruck and go hicking 10-15+ miles, I cords a nearby river of mine when it is about 20°. I love it. I dress in some BDU's and exercise. I am in great physical shape.
>>
Cross*
>>
>>16715228
do you kill poor people for the rich?
>>
>>16715241
No.
>>
>>16715148
ex navyfag here
>Should I just join right as I go into the Navy or just wait?
do not go in to be a seal, find a rate that interests you and you wouldn't mind doing for 4 years. I'm not trying to talk you out of being a seal because if you think you can do it then by all means go for it, but the washout rate is something insane like 70% so you need to be prepared for the possibility that you might not make it. If you go in rated to be a seal and wash out you get sent wherever the navy needs bodies which means you go from training to be the baddest motherfucker on the planet to spend the next 4 years of your life on your hands and knees chipping paint every single day. If you go in as a rate you're interested in but don't make the cut to be a seal they just send you back to your old job and say better luck next time.

If there aren't any rates in the navy that interest you enough that you could do them for 4 years then I suggest joining the army as an 11X and try to become a ranger instead.
>>
>>16715228

Fair enough, semantics then. If it's what you really want, go for it.

I just speak from somewhat bitter experience. Becoming an infantry Marine was something I was sure was my ultimate calling in life, set my heart to it, and it really sucks to find that your dream doesn't match the reality of it. Even the cool shit, the shit you join for (weapon ranges, martial arts, etc) just leaves me cold.

Hope it works out better for you, bud.
>>
>>16715251
Alright. Thank you. I do have another idea in mind, actually, in the case that I do fail.
>>
>>16715261
what where you thinking?
>>
>>16715256
Thank you. I've wanted to be a SEAL since I was little. Now I've gotten in shape for it, and I am going to give it my all to pass BUD/S.
>>
>>16715148
Hey, OP.

Marine here, if its anything like how the Corps works, grunts go to MARSOC (Recon) right away after going through infantry school, although its already established in the contract that they're signing up as Recon. I presume your recruiter will fill you in on how it works with the SEALs, however you'll probably just contract as a SEAL if thats what you wanted to do.

Semper fi, sailor.
>>
>>16715268
>semper fi, sailor
>t. motard
>>
File: 1442443881276.png (652 KB, 766x656) Image search: [Google]
1442443881276.png
652 KB, 766x656
>>16715148
I came on this board to get 3rd party advice on girl problems and saw this thread so I might as well respond.

I'm in the pipeline for SEAL, OP. Currently working with my regions SEAL motivator on earning a SEAL contract ( it's a long, long process ). My SOCS tells us that don't worry about BUD/s right now. Don't bother thinking about what to wear for a party that you don't have an invitation for yet. Focus 100% on killing and auto-qualifying the SEAL PST first. No, you don't need to do swim in freezing water or do surf torture to prepare for BUD/s. They us that there is absolutely nothing you can do to prepare for BUD/s. The physical part of BUD/s is suppose to easy physically but mentally hard. What they mean by this for example is go out and run 5 miles on a beach in 50 degree weather while it's raining. The run will be easy. What kills you mentally is once you stop and have to do it again after your body is locked up from the cold and your body temperature starts going down. Don't bother rucking and hiking. Put that energy towards bringing down your 1.5 mile run. Don't bother doing lazy swims in a cold river. Put that energy towards brutal side stroke sprints in a lap pool so your 500y time goes down. Once you get around the optimum numbers for your PST scores, go talk to your recruiter and start the process. It's a very long process btw. Very long.

Here are some resources you can use that I recommend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xqxKDONEg

https://www.sealswcc.com/forums/forum

https://www.reddit.com/r/navyseals
>>16715206
Cynical post but with somewhat of truth. You have to have a passion to be a SEAL. It can't just be like any other job. You have to seriously want it for what it is. It's hard to describe.
>>
>>16715264
I was thinking about maybe following in my Dad's footsteps and being on a Sumarine or being in Aviation.
>>
>>16715275
Thank you. I will definitely keep this in mind.
>>
>>16715272
hush devil
>>
>>16715268
Ahh, alright!
>>
>>16715280
I'd advise against going into the subs, they do have a much wider breadth of knowledge about all the different systems than a sailor in the comparable rate on a surface ship which is pretty cool, but the quality of life on those things just seems truly miserable, it really shows in the attitude of submariners, they all hate their lives particularly the nukes. If you go aviation I'd only warn you to avoid air boatswain's mate and aviation ordnanceman so you don't have to spend 12 hours straight standing on a 115 degree flight deck somewhere in the middle east.
>>
>>16715280
>>16715261
This is just me but I don't have any other fall back. You get sent to the needs of the Navy if you fail out of BUD/s. What you get sent to is usually determined by your ASVAB and line scores I think though.

My recruiter asked me if I wanted to do anything else in the Navy or if I couldn't get a SEAL contract, would the Navy still be an option. I just said to him "I just want to be a SEAL". They tried to sell me on becoming a cryptologist when I first went. Stand your ground and don't be a pushover. For me, I use that as even more ammo to not quit. If I fail, I'll be doing something I hate for the next two years along with the permanent shame of failure.
>>
>>16715291
Thank you. I will make sure to keep this in mind for later.
>>
>>16715304
http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-1276-6-things-movies-dont-show-you-about-life-submarine.html
>>
>>16715301
Ahh. I see. Thank you very much.
>>
File: wtf man owl.jpg (114 KB, 740x554) Image search: [Google]
wtf man owl.jpg
114 KB, 740x554
>26 replies
>nobody has posted the navy seal pasta yet or mentioned 300 confirmed kills
>>
>>16715301
I hope you don't mind me chiming in here but I feel I have to try to tell you you're making a mistake. That wont be enough to motivate you.

I wanted nothing more in the world to be a seal but when push came to shove I guess I just didn't want it enough because I DOR'd during hell week. I remember it was during a swim around the harbor, I was so incredibly tired, but it wasn't just that I remember feeling absolutely at my limit and that if I continued I was simply going to drown. After they fished me out of the water and I explained how I felt to one of the instructors he told me that he felt the same way when he did it but he had to make a conscious decision that he'd rather have drowned than not made it.

As it turns out that wasn't me, is it you? Maybe it is maybe it isn't, but I'd hate to see another poor sap have to spend 4 years as an BM unless it was what he wanted.

Find a rate that interests you then try to be a seal, so if you wash out you don't end up in some shit job you hate like I did. Because if you're in a rate that needs bodies like BM or AB then good luck ever getting out of it.

Anyway just so this post isn't a complete downer have a silly video I made with some of my shipmates
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqyDOv4OGs

ah the wonderful world of deck maintenance
>>
>>16715356
>is it you?

Hey man, I'll never know if I don't try. That's a risk I'm willing to take for SEAL.

What class were you in btw?
>>
>>16715356
>4 years as an BM unless it was what he wanted.
you can try again for buds every 2 years
>>
>>16715370
that's fair ofcourse and far be it from me to try to talk you out of it but I'm just saying you should plan for the possibility that you won't make it because odds are you wont, so do yourself a favor and go in as a rate that interests you. I went through it in 2006 btw, it was class 263 iirc. Any idea what they're up to now?

>>16715377
once was enough, believe me. It might have been another story if I had washed out because of an injury but it clearly wasn't gonna happen for me and I was ok with that.
>>
>>16715400
>Any idea what they're up to now?

314 is in 3rd phase right now. 315 is just starting. 314 was a hammered class. Less than 10% made it past Hell Week.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.