[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: languages hello.jpg (37 KB, 320x315) Image search: [Google]
languages hello.jpg
37 KB, 320x315
Why would anyone study a foreign language that will not be that useful to them? Pretty much everyone in the world uses English as a lingua franca to communicate. Even if you learned something such as German, what are your chances of working in Germany/Austria/Switzerland as a non-EU citizen?
Why the heck would anyone learn a new language as a fun challenge? Why would anyone want to become a polygot? Why would anyone pick a foreign language as one of their majors for their double major program? Why would a Japanese person learn French or a Singaporean person learn Spanish intensively? It is just a waste of time and effort to a learn a language that is not "useful" to you.
>>
Depends where you live. I live in Canada and I am currently learning French (we have two official languages).

If I didn't live in Canadian I'd either learn Arabic or Mandarin or Spanish.

It is interesting though to learn another language and I'd your job is somewhat meaningful it will be advantageous in the long term
>>
>>16708347
Yeah, but how would Korean be useful in the Netherlands? Why would anyone learn a language for fun?
>>
>>16708312
I learned to speak Russian because my ex is Russian and I could talk to her friends/family when we visited.
Since we broke up I use it when I go on holiday in Russia, Belarus and other countries that the population speaks Russian (like Moldova and Ukraine before everything kicked off).

Now I speak Russian when I chat to Russian friends in my town (the Russian community sticks together and has socials so there are quite a few people to talk to) and I curse in Russian instead of saying bad things in English.
Its also funny answering the phone to unknown numbers in Russian.

If you want to learn another language then do it, there are plenty of resources to learn from, also some other reasons to learn another language:
>you are more valuable in customer facing jobs
>you are deemed to be more intelligent
>opens up a whole new group of people to talk to

Granted it helps that there are people you cant talk to, but just because the majority speak English doesn't mean it doesn't help.
If you want to learn one for working in large businesses go for Mandarin or German.
>>
>>16708414
Not OP but:

How long do you think it takes to learn russian to a unable level if you study it once or twice a week next to working / University studies?
>>
I'm teaching myself Greek, and I can give you a few reasons.

>able to communicate with ESL's who still predominantly talk in their native tongue
>you're more relatable to the people who do speak the language
>there genuinely are people who don't speak English, so you can now communicate with these people
>it's a useful skill, especially if your job involves dealing with people who speak other languages

Finally, despite all that, it isn't a "waste of time". Languages aren't just swapped out words, a different language uses entirely different words to mean different things, there are different grammatical rules, the syntax is often different. Learning another language gives you a peek, if only a tiny peek, into what it's like living as another culture.

There's a lot of value in that, because you learn to think a little differently than you would otherwise ever think.
>>
There are more ways to use a language than speaking it conversationally.

Actually, it's funny that an English-only zealot would mention German as useless: as a language closely related to English, it can be a major help in understanding the history and usage of the language you advocate. Its relationships to Latin, Greek, and French are more convoluted, but these languages can also be of major assistance with English vocabulary and even spelling.

Suck it up and pick one, dude. And be sure to come back here when you're old enough and tell us how it went.
>>
>>16708414
Why would anyone learn a language where almost none of the locals spoke it? (eg. Dutch in Australia)
>>16708426
>>16708431
You can learn about English and another country's culture without having to learn a new language.
>>
>>16708521

Are you the "learn to love your job" guy? You sure type like it.

Anyways, we work in an extremely fast paced, highly volatile world where the perceived distances that you're talking about don't really exist anymore. I don't have to get on a 16 hour plane ride to speak to someone who uses Korean - I live in a city where there are a ton of Asian travelers every year, so knowing that language would be hugely beneficial to me in the tourism industry.

It really just broadens your desirability to companies.
>>
>>16708312
OP has posted this identical question every couple of days for a month. He evidently has some axe to grind and is not going to stop until someone agrees with him.

So, OP, yes you are absolutely right. Thank you for showing us the light.

Now go away.
>>
>>16708742
Yeah.
But what if you live in a place where very few locals and travellers speak the language that you want to learn?
>>
>>16710421
Then you can watch movies, read books and comics, and make online fwiends in your chosen language. If that doesn't sound worthwhile, then don't fucking do it. Nobody's making you.

It's patently false that everybody uses English these days, though. Large swathes of Asia (including Japan and China) have yet to really take to it, despite widespread mandatory instruction. Few Russians speak any foreign language at all -- something that's also true in the rest of the former Eastern Bloc, albeit to a lesser extent. French and Swahili are still the lingua francas in much of Africa. Let's not even speak about the Middle East.
>>
>>16711487
So why would anyone learn a language that is almost unspoken by the locals and tourists in his area? It is pointless. He can just use Google Translate btw.
>>
Because I enjoy this guys b8, ill offer my response.

>Why the heck would anyone learn a new language as a fun challenge? Why
Because it's a fun challenge
>would anyone want to become a polygot?
To access a wealth of literature, philosophy, music, movies, and history
>Why would anyone pick a foreign language as one of their majors for their double major program?
Diversification
>Why would a Japanese person learn French or a Singaporean person learn Spanish intensively?
Depends on a myriad of reasons; perhaps they like french or spanish music
>It is just a waste of time and effort to a learn a language that is not "useful" to you.
Nah, not really.
>>
>>16712527
>To access a wealth of literature, philosophy, music, movies, and history
Kek translation exists. Accessing translated texts is much quicker.
>>
It makes you smarter, or at least exercises some vital brain functions.
>>
Because it makes you seem more high status so you can attract a woman when she's tired of fucking football players
>>
>>16712665
>Kek translation exists. Accessing translated texts is much quicker.
There are incredibly shoddy translations, true.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.