[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got scammed. I sold a camera lens through marktplaats (Dutch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: margot-robbie-focus-image.jpg (2 MB, 3840x5760) Image search: [Google]
margot-robbie-focus-image.jpg
2 MB, 3840x5760
I got scammed. I sold a camera lens through marktplaats (Dutch craigslist) and the money never arrived. We met in person and I saw him complete the transfer with his iPhone app but three days later the money hasn't gone through: €1500.

It was my girlfriend's camera lens and probably her only valuable possession. We are low on money hence me trying to sell it.

I feel so violated and stupid and trying to stave of panic attacks. I've reported it to the guy's bank, I have his name and a photo of his driver's license and made a police report last night.

I found his Facebook and made a fake profile, first friending his friends and then him. He finally wrote back yesterday, denied all attempts at defrauding me then reluctantly and finally agreed to meet me today. I brought a strong friend along just in case but he was a no show. He originally proposed a very late time claiming he had a night shift, I suppose to buy him extra hours?

He did beg me to stop dragging his name in the mud, but since his no show I have just escalated my attempts. I’ve posted the whole story on Facebook on my timeline and Instagram with my fake and tagged all his mutual friends. I’ve gotten the ear of one of his closer friends, but most of them play dumb or “don’t want to get involved”.

What other recourse do I have left? It does seem like he wants me to stop informing everybody, but he is also seemingly eager to avoid giving back my property. I don’t know his address, any phone number under his family name in the area doesn’t answer, but I do think I know what neighbourhood he is in.

I am going to keep up the Facebook shaming, and keep mentioning that the police are now involved, any other thoughts?
>>
Didn't you agree to meet yesterday?
>>
What have the police said
>>
Thats grand larceny, capable of going to jail for more then a year, in the us at least.

Keep on going bro, thats 1 goddamn k and some
>>
In the US we ha a small claims court that would hear a case like this for very little money. Do you have such a thing? He has obviously stolen from you.

You can also open a website called XXX is a thief. Banks and employers often Google people before they get loans or jobs.
>>
Go round to his house and beat the shit out of him and take 1.500€ worth of stuff
>>
>>16688643
We agreed to meet today in the end.

>>16688650
Police just filed the report yesterday and that the fraud department will go after it. They'll invite him for a conversation, but I am afraid not much more will happen after that. I hope they pulled the security footage from the mall we met at, but if they wait too long I'm sure it'll be deleted. It depends on whether he just denies everything or not.

>>16688657
>Thats grand larceny, capable of going to jail for more then a year, in the us at least.
Yeah, it's not nothing here either.

>>16688662
>In the US we ha a small claims court
Probably what will end up happening. It's less than €400 to bring it to court, I can represent myself, and if I win they pay most of those fees as well I think. I can probably get some free legal support before hand as well.

>>16688662
>You can also open a website called XXX is a thief. Banks and employers often Google people before they get loans or jobs.

Yeah, that might be next. But gotta be careful not to tip over to libel and get myself in trouble.

>>16688663
>Go round to his house and beat the shit out of him and take 1.500€ worth of stuff
Don't know where he lives exactly, and then I can be arrested because the motive is fucking obvious.
>>
Why are you acting like this is a lost cause. You have the e-mails and shit right? It's not that hard to prove.
>>
>>16688679
>I have a phone call he made with a burner phone
>facebook messages from a new account he probably just made that he can deny is him
>I do have that I met him in a public space and a photo of his driver's licence.

I just can't get my hopes up and also just expect for the police to sort it out. But thanks for the support!
>>
>>16688685
I really don't think it's as bad as you think. You can even go to the mall and ask them if they have the footage if you think it'll make a difference. Unless they're real hardasses they will help you.
>>
>>16688673
You said you had his drivers licence, how can you not know where he lives? In any case, that is easily enough information to take him to court if you are serious about this. If not, keep on cryin.
>>
>>16688704
>You said you had his drivers licence, how can you not know where he lives?

Dutch driver's licences don't report addresses.
>>16688695

>I really don't think it's as bad as you think. You can even go to the mall and ask them if they have the footage if you think it'll make a difference. Unless they're real hardasses they will help you.

I think I might do that
>>
I don't understand whats wrong with you, when you sell things online like craiglist you meet inperson. You exchange contact detail, meet in person, give good for cash in hand. I seriously don't know how you were scammed unless you're a total idiot in trading.
>>
>>16688705
You do know where the license was delivered, which is the place where he lives.
>>
>>16688706
The cash part, that's where I fucked up. I observed him perform a money transfer through his phone to my account, but yeah, obviously that didn't really happen.

>>16688755
I know the city he lives in and I suspect I know the neighbourhood.
>>
>>16688766
Bro... When you trade, it's always CASH, money on hand. If you do really choose to transfer you 100% CHECK your bank account first, they don't get the item untill money is in your pocket. Otherwise you're literally giving them your product on "good will" assuming they will pay you in a certain number of days...

Honestly try getting your money back ANY MEANS NECESSARY, treat this as you fixing your fuck up and in the end as a life lesson. This is a very naive thing to do and you girlfriend will not see this as an attractive quality at all. I do say that based of experience, when my girlfriend done something stupid like this my instincts thought "red flag, red flag!! not a good mother"
>>
>>16688817
>Honestly try getting your money back ANY MEANS NECESSARY, treat this as you fixing your fuck up and in the end as a life lesson. This is a very naive thing to do and you girlfriend will not see this as an attractive quality at all. I do say that based of experience, when my girlfriend done something stupid like this my instincts thought "red flag, red flag!! not a good mother"

Yeah, I'm getting kind've obsessed. She's expressed to me that she doesn't want me to overfocus on this and take over completely. Besides we are getting hitched so it's kinda locked down.

I am trying to do all that I can now. The trail has seemingly run a bit cold, no more communication with the scammer.
>>
>>16689767
Keep pestering the police.
>>
If the police route fails you have to be prepared to find him and beat the living shit out of him to get your stuff back. That's life unfortunately. If it was €100 I would say, forget it and learn your lesson. But €1.5k? You'll never sleep peacefully again until you get either your money or the lens back.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.