[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
disappointed parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: brown pants.jpg (21 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
brown pants.jpg
21 KB, 500x342
>be me
>religious family, hates everything anti bible
>tell them around 8 I want to be a missionary when I grow up
>theyloveit.gif
>about to graduate
>am now a talented musician and a friend and I are going to start a band
>parents ask me which christian college I want to go to
>I've completely forgotten
>trys to tell my dad that I want to play music
>he goes wild
>I play it off as a joke

So, how do I tell my parents I don't want to save lives so I can try to play music for a living?
>>
Be a Christian rock band! You get to play music and save lives!
>>
Why not just study music at a Christan college?
No reason you can't fine tune your abilities and your academic understanding of your passion in a context that will make your parents happy. After that you'll be in a better position to play music professionally anyway.
>>
>>16686021
Ay OP Christian Rock is some easy money.
>>
Pick a christian college with a strong music program and lots of international students far away from your parents
>>
Plus its so fucking easy to write music for Christian rock
>>
Tell them it's ridiculous to hold you to an offhand comment you made when you were 8. Holy shit your parents sound nuts.
>>
>>16686012
Tell them that music is what God wants you to do. Be like "I've prayed on it and it is the best way for me to express my love for Jesus"
>>
>>16686012

Make your own money and move the fuck out and bum around bars and clubs playing those blues until you get booed by frenchies who don't actually like good music and then David Bowie offers to have you play in his videos and you hit it big making blues albums and playing with Albert King and Eric Clapton and you eventually die tragically in a helicopter accident, Stevie.
>>
>>16687027

This. They cant deny you something if God said it's what he wants (lol)
>>
File: faith plus one.jpg (84 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
faith plus one.jpg
84 KB, 500x500
>>16686021
>>16686903
>>
Maybe I'm just a heartless cunt, but I give zero fucks about disappointing my parents unless I'm doing something objectively bad/disappointing.

I'm sorry OP, I can't really relate. All I can say is 'don't give a fuck and do what you want within reason.'
>>
It might also be the fact that you want to start a band and do that. I've been down that road, and it's a lot harder than you'd think, even if you have talent or are genuinely entertaining. There are people who can play guitar or bass or drums like absolute motherfuckers who never get anywhere. Not trying to dissuade you if it's really your dream, but there's a hell of a lot to consider. And you'll likely be dirt poor while you're doing it.
>>
>>16686913
>>16686999
>>16687004
>>16687573
All of these need to be taken into consideration
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.