[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I help people deal with depression? There is a friend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: note.jpg (227 KB, 1294x1230) Image search: [Google]
note.jpg
227 KB, 1294x1230
How do I help people deal with depression? There is a friend that used to talk a lot with me. Now she stopped talking to many people besides maybe one. She just works and plays vidiya. How can I make her deal with her problem? She always neglects, claiming it's part of her.
>>
Tell her that you are aware of her depression. There is no better cure than knowing that people around you actually care about you while you're depressed. I'm depressed right now, and I don't have anyone to talk about my emotions and feelings to. This shit sucks, yet I don't have the balls to do an hero
>>
I am interested in this thread.

I have a friend with depression and I really want to try and help them, or at least be there for them. They tend to withdraw and don't talk as much and I struggle to know what to do.
>>
>>16685881
The best you can do, as written by anon above, is to be there for them and tell him/her that it is not the end of the world
>>
>>16685869
I am. I already did. However now she withdraw, as she fades away. I barely see her, I try talk to her but she only sometimes responds and with such answers show me she doesn't really wanna talk. I feel like I am being too pushy. Also, as I said before, she talks to another friend, I feel a little bit jealous but mostly I feel that she doesn't like me anymore nor tursts me.

As for you, mail [email protected]
I am always willing to help others as best as I can
>>
>>16686479
You'll be hearing from me soon on your email.
>>
You can't fix someone's depression. Erase the notion from your mind. Think of it like a physical head injury that needs to heal.

When I'm depressed it's exhausting dealing with people. Friends try to help me feel better but it just makes me feel worse. And then eventually they get frustrated and I hate myself even more for being such a burden so I withdraw and completely cut contact.

Trying to think while depressed is like trying to think with a painful headache, except it never goes away and what little you do think about is how useless you've become.

If you truly want to help, don't direct or judge. Accept that you really don't understand what she's going through and realize that she needs some space right now. Just be approachable and available. Maybe send her a short message every 2-3 days to let her know you're still there for her and she's important to you but don't spell it out. Just talk normally about something you know she'll like in a way that doesn't demand a response but that she can respond to easily if she has energy. Avoid talking about your feelings or pointing her depression out, but if she does start talking do show your concern and ask if there's anything she needs help with. A little help, even just washing the dishes, can make a huge difference.

If she does open up her feelings again, know that it took her a lot of courage and trust in you to do that, so listen and validate all of her feelings. Give her the opportunity to express herself but don't dig in her mind with questions or argue.
>>
>>16687876
And take careful time to consider what you would say to your friend if she ever said she wanted to kill herself. It can be very difficult to listen to a friend revealing something so negative and against your own desires, but it's very important to take it seriously and not to judge or direct. Just listen and try to understand those feelings. Don't try to make her feel something she doesn't wanna feel, and don't interpret or make assumptions. Ask questions sensitively to clarify what she just said to you rather than to pry for more information.

Be genuine and don't be afraid of making mistakes. Just showing that you care is most important, and listening attentively will do wonders.
>>
>>16687939
>>16687876
Thanks. Although I have seen people heal from depression. Mostly, I do all that. However sometimes I am more direct to tge point. >>16686479
Sure thing. Will check right now.
>>
>>16688104
>>16687381
I meant I will check right away, mixed the IDs
>>
>>16685844
Tell her to seek professional help and get medicated
At a certain point you can't help anymore
I'm someone with amxiety and depression and the only way for me to deal with it is through Prozac
>>
>>16687381
Got nothing
>>16688152
She is on Prozac and she says it doesn't help anymore also she wants to stop taking it cause it has bad effects.
>>
>>16688178
Don't let her go off her meds. I did and it was ten weeks of hell
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.