[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: oldguyfag.jpg (187 KB, 1024x598) Image search: [Google]
oldguyfag.jpg
187 KB, 1024x598
Requesting oldguyfags advice.

Anons who are over 35 - we need your sage advice. Millenials are fucked, we need some proper guidance. Teach us how to live a good life.

Post your advice here, it will help everyone a lot. On any subject, really. Just give us your input. Where have you gone wrong? What should we do? What shouldn't we do?

To start off the dissussion, I'd like to ask: is there any sense in making a career? Can I just be a travelling English teacher? Because all I want from life is travel. And I want some work that would allow me to see the world. But some part of me says that I should just find a full-time job and commit to it. But I don't know why do I need money? I've got my own place, I have enough money to live - so what's wrong with me?
>>
>>16684398
Life is like one of those open world mmo games except there are no real rules and all the things you wish you could make work do and have since before you got there.
>>
>>16684398

Just left my 20's today. The one thing I've learned so far is that no one as ever done anything magnificent by being a whiny little bitch.
>>
>>16684398
Man I could probably write a book of just tidbits of advice. I'll toss some in and try not to ramble.

Be social. Social networks are fine but your bosses for the next 20 years will almost exclusively be from a time when handshakes and golfing were social networking. Learn how to use your voice to your advantage.

Be trustworthy. There are no shortcuts and if you lie it will follow you forever. The fastest way to power is being someone others can believe in. Not just trust, you need to inspire people to be better. Don't bother googling that, it can't be taught. If you're a decent (not perfect) person it will come naturally if you try. BE. SOCIAL.

Work is genuinely what you make it. The current wisdom says people prefer time off or awards over money. Don't fall for that. Plenty work to get rich and it has nothing to do with greed. The mentality that being a "wageslave" and such is greedy and sad is a trapping of millennials. We all would rather do something else but doing your best is a sign of character and will get you where you want faster.

Now I save the best for last. If you've made it this far, congrats. Avoid the tech industry for now. It's going to crash again in the next few years. I predicted the recession and the bounce back plus other minor economic events. Stocks will be fine, there are jitters about China and oil but within a year everything will be back at record levels. But tech is going to get hurt big and take years to recover. Listen or don't. But there's the advice. And no I won't tell you where to invest to profit from it.
>>
>>16684398
In the end it doesn't really matter
Like dust inna wind
>>
39 here. I secured myself a good career and future by investing in myself. That means getting degrees, learning skills, and so on.
>>
>>16684476
Elaborate, please.

How much did you work?

What degrees did you get?

Investing in yourself also means travelling and partying or?...

What skills are essential?
>>
>>16684435
So, what did you do with your life, anon? Not being ironic, genuinely curious.
>>
File: tumblr_myy9dp5NXE1qlu8two2_500.gif (998 KB, 500x277) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myy9dp5NXE1qlu8two2_500.gif
998 KB, 500x277
>>16684473
So the meaning of life is a Kansas song?
>>
>>16684476
Also curious: do you earn a lot? What's the ratio of work/pleasure is optimal in life?
>>
>>16684509
>>16684550

Got a STEM degree. Then later got an MBA. Learned languages as well. Lived in other countries as well, by applying for jobs there.

I have a pretty comfy job, normal office hours, I do mainly programming, and earn some 150k a year.
>>
>>16684690
If I'm 24 now, is it too late for me to get into programming?

My first degree is Linguistics. I can only do simultaneous interpretation and teach Russian/English. Do you think I'll do good with this degree?
>>
>>16684731
It's never too late. However, you need to be decent at programming for it to help. The market is full of shitty programmers, so to help your employability, you need to be one of the non-shitty ones.
>>
>>16684772
Do you actually NEED a degree in programming, though? I've seen some self-taught people who are quite decent at it.
>>
>>16684772
>>16684690
How old are you now, anon?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.