[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
COLLEGE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: college.gif (4 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
college.gif
4 KB, 400x300
Questions for all things regarding College.
>>
Can we give unsolicited advice too?
>>
>>16679733

Of course!
>>
>college requires foreign language
>fucking suck at foreign language
>have friend who speaks fluently
>if i score high enough on online placement exam (with their help) i can "place out" of having to take

should i?

i'm just worried that their may be some second step (a follow up interview after, as some schools have) but my school's site says nothing about that.

wat do
>>
>>16679739
If it requires it, then there must be a good reason. And that good reason will probably require you to use that language at some point. There's no point in cheating, this really is one of those instances where the only person you'll be cheating is yourself
>>
>turning 19 in literally a week
>moms starting to ask what i'm going to do with my life (college/work)
>have no fucking clue

i'm scared to death of going to college just to fail, i don't feel intelligent enough to really do anything
am i going to get over this??
>>
>>16679739

The test is there to help you and to prevent you from being admitted into a program you can't complete. The question here is whether or not you can pass the test, but whether you can get a good grade in the first semester with your current fluency.
>>
>>16679746
Don't go if you don't know what you want to do. Don't waste your time and money.
>>
>>16679742

Not all colleges require at as their core curriculum.

I won't need it for the rest of my college career.

If anything it will only hurt my GPA which I need to keep at a certain level to keep my big scholarship.

>>16679748

But the thing is, if you get a high enough score, you are automatically exempt from having to take ANY foreign language class.
>>
>>16679739
You don't suck at foreign languages. You think that because most academic language programs fucking suck. The classroom setting really isn't a great one to learn a language in. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of your university's language classes, but I can promise you you're just as capable of learning a second language as all those fuckers over in Europe and Africa, or the diplomats and other gov't workers, etc, who have to learn them for their careers. You just had the bad luck to get plunked down in a poor environment for learning and subsequently forced to drill a language they probably never gave you any reason to be interested in.

All that aside, anyway, cheating is risky. I wouldn't, but it's your call.

Oh, one more note -- about 50% of your peers in any given intro-level language course are also going to be poor shits who were forced into taking it and have no confidence and no desire to learn. I bet you can pretty easily scrape an A without really learning the language in any meaningful way. Though as the prev. poster mentioned, that's cheating yourself.
>>
>>16679763
Just take the class anon. Go to a different college if you don't feel confident enough in your ability
>>
>>16679768

Makes sense, in retrospect I wish I tried harder in high school.

Problem is, my true placement would probably place me in a 101 class (instead of 102), which means I'd have to take 101 (no credit) AND 102 (requirement)

2 extra classes I'd have to take instead of 0. I want to get my BA asap + need to keep a high GPA for my scholarship. Having to take 2 extra classes in a course I don't like does not support either.

>>16679771

Beyond the chance of going to another college.
>>
>>16679750

Just to add on this though, make sure you're often taking classes and doing things that help you determine what you want to take. While you don't want to go into debt over schooling you don't need, you don't want to stall for 5 years unless absolutely necessary.

What are your interests anon? What careers are you interested in (even ones that you think you can't realistically aim for)?

>>16679763

Then what's the reason for having it? There has to be a good one, otherwise it wouldn't be there in the first place. If not then that's pretty retarded test, holy crap.
>>
>>16679778
Why is there a language requirement in the first place?
>>
>>16679792
>>16679789

Beats me, I guess they feel their core values is a "well rounded education" or some shit, when in reality speaking Spanish is not going to be necessary for me at all besides fulfyling an arbitrary requirement
>>
What do i need to do if I decide to go back to college in my 30s? Will I need my old school records? If I do need my old records but don't have that kind of paperwork in my possession anymore can I still obtain it from my old college/ highschool?
>>
>>16679799
>Spanish
Spanish is easy as fuck. And depending on where you live and what you're studying, it could be incredibly useful
>>
>>16679804
Why not ask the college?
>>
>>16679804

High school transcript/diploma, vaccination records (not required right away but eventually they'll need)

Your high school should be able to get
>>
>>16679807
I haven't really decided to go back yet or even picked one out, but these are questions that start nagging me when I even begin to consider it.
>>
24 y/o NEET here looking for a decent career field to get into

Should I do a 2 yr electrician diploma at community college? Seems like a promising job with lots of room for growth.
>>
Mechanical engineer major here, how much time do you guys spend studying?
>>
Hey anons. I'm 400 pages behind on reading because shit went down IRL. Wat do?
>>
>>16680521
Read approximately 50 pages a day for a week.
>>
>>16679710
I'm 30. The last time I was in college we were still well into the fucking of Iraq and Egypt was a nice place to visit.

How do I go back to school without it being some pay for degree?
>>
Is video/audio editing a class/thing in most colleges?

Are there any actual jobs in video/audio editing?
>>
>>16680547
I'b about to turn 30 and will finish my degree this December. It's not difficult, provided you're good at time management. I work 32 hours a week and go to school full time. My social life is limited to Friday and Saturday only, but that's not unusual for someone our age.

I'm doing way better now than I was at 20. I've got a 3.9 and I find that everything is a lot easier, because I'm far more focused than I was when I was younger.

My university has a "non traditional" students association. I'm not a part of the one at my school, but it may be useful to you to check and see if schools you're interested in have something similar. It can be a good support network/friend network. I'm not that kind of person but if you have doubts or feel like support is positive for you, I think it'd be a good thing to get into.

Overall, don't sweat it. Get it done and enjoy the feeling of being able to move on with life.
>>
>>16680528
Thanks anon, that makes it sound a lot more doable! I wanna get into the honours program so I'm scared.
>>
>>16680554
common enough to both answers

video editors never have to look too hard for work
>>
Is there any country besides America where they give out fellowships to graduate students on a somewhat common basis? I love the idea of an university paying me to study and I just have to teach undergrads or whatever in exchange, but I would like to not have to move to the US if possible.
>>
Can making shitty games in gamemaker and dog maker count as an extra curricular, what can I do outside of HS clubs that can count as an extra curricular
>>
Parents have been pushing for me to do a masters or get on a grad scheme (which I want to do, my dream even.).

I just got rejected from another scheme application and feeling pretty dejected. In addition im in exam period atm and i hate my subject, I reckon i'll do okay, just not as good as i hoped too 6 months ago. Because I hate my subject so much (Economics) I really dont want to do a masters, and given the forthcoming economic climate a masters in business (which could potentially be interesting, isn't that useful unless you build up an business acumen beforehand. In addition, the good master courses will often only take you after several years of business experience.) doesn't seem possible or wise.

I have quite a bit of work experience (two internships and museum volunteering) but i can't even get an interview to these schemes. I dont have much beyond my career ambitions, I have a few close friends and subpar looks. So not much to really look forward to.

I'm terrified /adv/. If i dont get a grad scheme in the next 6 months, I'll have to face being unemployed for sometime or perhaps be stuck in an entry level role and disappoint my parents. I really don't want to take a masters in Econ. But if im unemployed at 6+ months then I wont get onto any good grad schemes. I feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've even thought of topping myself by September as I'd imagine i'd be feeling a 100 times worse than I am now with few people to talk to.

Tldr, What did people do after graduating uni. 6 months away and shitting myself.
>>
Any advice for CLEP? I want to CLEP college algebra to save money on class but I'm actually quite horrible at math. What should kind of preparation should I do? I see a lot of CLEP prep shit online, are they legit?
>>
Here's some advice. Don't go to a university jsut because everyone else is. Big research schools are great for people interested in research and boring af for everyone else.

Also join clubs and organizations your first year. I joined a freshmen thing aimed at making you meet other freshmen and it worked. I still talk to a lot of them. They also made my first quarter a lot less intimidating.
>>
>>16679742
>there must be a good reason
Look at this good little goy. As someone who has a language requirement, there is no "practical" use for it. 3 semesters is nowhere near enough to develop competency.

I'm in the Arts and Sciences college at my uni, and it is basically the only college that requires it. It's there to "give us a broad education", as if people didn't think a lot of the majors in the college (ie. the arts ones) was pointless enough.
>>
Go greek if you can. One of the best choices I ever made.
>>
>>16680461
Hey ME
I was an EE

I never pulled an all-nighter
I never crammed
that shit doesn't help and if you do it you're kind of stupid

i studied for each test
a session would last 2-3 hours
MAYBE I would have a session per day for a couple days leading up to the test
my GPA was 3.7
>>
I have an econ final tomorrow, I'm at 61% and need at least a C or higher to pass what do?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.