[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
quarter life crisis. advice from older anons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: quarter-life-crisis.jpg (54 KB, 411x411) Image search: [Google]
quarter-life-crisis.jpg
54 KB, 411x411
I'm having deep emotions about how bizarre and utterly unmanageable human existence is. Life turns out to be a lot more harder and A LOT more boring. Career and life disappoints are plenty. I hate the way my life has turned out, and I think about this constantly. I'm incredibly envious of those who have a good career, a social circle, and a great girlfriend and are successful in the endeavors they're passionate about. I feel like an utterly mediocre human.

I'm 25 & completed my degree after years of struggling from a mediocre state university with a slightly above average gpa. But now I'm left with a "now what?"

I have no hobbies, i have no passions, I have no purpose or motivation. I've mostly chose my field because it seemed sensible and I didn't know what else to do. I've never chased dreams. I've never done anything in my field. I'm not even particularly sure want to do this as a job. The constant rejection and pointless application churning during internship season was incredibly demotivating.

I'm not happy with my life and not passionate about what I'm doing. I don't even know if I even have passions. I have these crazy pipe dreams of being in a creative field but those don't make money. I might even hate it because I've never done anything of the sort. I come from a very poor background and my family has expectations.

I feel I've never particularly had control of my life. I feel I'm a plebe and that even if I get a job in my field it will be boring and mediocre and not what I actually wanted. I mostly see myself as a mediocre slightly miserable 30 year old.

I'm currently I'm stuck between studying for grad school entrance exams(GMAT or LSAT), applying to jobs, or just going in a completely different direction and saying fuck you to the conventional road. But honestly I haven't done a thing for the last month. I need some help in terms of what I should look into doing next and how.

what do I do?
>>
read Stoner by John Williams (not about stoners, it's about a man with Stoner as a last name) and cry because that will be your life
>>
>>16677064

How does this help me? Do you relate to the character of the book or is this some attempt to troll me.
>>
>>16677049
if you are going to grad school without really wanting to, you are setting yourself up for a miserable experience, maybe take acouple years to work around and see what field you like, then go back to grad school
>>
>>16677123

But I don't know where to work or what direction to take.
>>
>>16677049

more of less, we are in the same boat dude, i feel your pain.

What seems to be the only req for a happy life is to find objectives a go after them. Those are only to be chosen by yourself, no one can help.

What actually made you not to develop any kind of passion? Have you tried to start from there
>>
>>16677330

what are your passions?

I have some interests but nothing I'd say I'm passionate about.

I come from a very poor family, suffer from massive depression, had NO friends since...ever. This mix makes it difficult. To take part in things takes being introduced to other people and collaborating.

For example I'm interested in

making music(played in hs)
making films
doing photography
fashion

however I've never participated in any of the above simply because I never had the money to try these.

I feel these pursuits are for "rich" people who can chase their dreams. For most of my life I did what was practical. I majored in business.

Most of my days are spent wasted on the computer, on 4chan, or at home.
>>
>>16677386
Passions are suppossed to be developed. Try any of those interests.

Depression is a loop hole, it will find "No"s to every new project or idea. If you can't overcome that seek for proffesional help m8.

Otherwise you will be stuck there forever.
>>
>>16677049
Major?
Work experience?
Near a big city?
>so I can give advice
>>
>>16677452
its in the field of business(but more specific). I won't go into more to stay anon.

very little in my field
close to metropolitan city
>>
>>16677505
Business is good. Little to no experience isn't
Have you tried a staffing agency?
Look for some business staffing agencies near your area and start calling/emailing them. Some specialize in getting new grads entry level work. They'll assist with your resume coach you for the interviews and some have exclusive access to some jobs, even some companies.
>>
>>16677562

I have not.
Part of me feels like I can't even try to fake it because I'm not interested/passionate/motivated at all regarding my field.

I should just shut up and apply
>>
>>16677064
Don't do this, stoicism is for faggots.

Read "Chilly Scenes of Winter" by Ann Beattie and ask yourself if you really want to be like the main character in two years time
>>
>>16677987

I didn't glean enough from the Wikipedia synopsis.

Explain
>>
>>16677123
seconding the fuck out of this. get a job that forces you to interact with people and be in a public space: waiter, life guard, etc. or go to TRADE school in a field that any developed society needs. then pay off loans and start traveling immediately, moving from space to space and making good financial investments when hard work pays off.
most people who go directly into grad school without knowing what they want out of it lament spending all of that time/resources spent studying with little experience to show for it. then they get further into debt chasing pipe dreams of theperfectwoman.jpg and a nice house to keep up with the joneses. you'll sooner be bankrupt or depressed in this economy. it's better to have at least 4 solid, concrete skills (anywhere from design/crafts to language proficiency to bartending or something with god-tier soft skills), 3 of those skills should be something practical, and the other expressive. all of them should interest you to the point where you would consider an apprenticeship involving them.
this + your degree + real world experience and development of conversational skills will get you farther than you'd expect.
>>
>>16677386
make music alone, get freeware from the interwebz and pedals/wuzzwuzz tech from a local pawn shop/resale store. if you like movies, consider scriptwriting or storyboarding. you might be into drawing/illustration, and that's always worth pursuing. media will always look for accompanying images and designs, comics, etc. artistry and creativity IS a big part of business
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.