[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which language have you found to be the most useful besides English?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: a8j12rQ_460s.jpg (32 KB, 460x368) Image search: [Google]
a8j12rQ_460s.jpg
32 KB, 460x368
Which language have you found to be the most useful besides English? (Pic only related if you speak Husky)
>>
Hard say, might depend where you live. Useful day to day might be Spanish or Chinese but I'd like to learn Latin for its own sake, understand art, law, medical terms more.
>>
>>16676285
For global speakers it goes:
>English - 880 million to 2 billion speakers.
>Mandarin - 760 million to 950 million speakers.
>Spanish - 550 million to 675 million speakers.

Mandarin is fuck hard to learn, you really need to engage a tutor and study hard for years to get even halfway decent at it, so go for Spanish. English will be the lingua franca long after the West has fallen back into obscurity, so don't worry about being outdated (at least within your lifetime.)
>>
>>16676285
>Which language have you found to be the most useful besides English?
First of all, >>>/int/
Secondly, it's dependant on your current needs. Up until recently, for me, its been Spanish. Now I'm learning mandarin, which is actually not as hard as it sounds although pinyin is fucking stupid.
Learning any language can be easy if you put the right amount of effort into it. Immerse yourself in the language through media and constantly practicing with apps or other software. You can also Skype with native speakers.
>>
>>16676357
Do those Rosetta Stone programs work?
>>
>>16676363
They work but there are comparable programs for cheaper or free. Maybe you can luck out and find some second hand ones if money us a problem. But again, it will only be as effective as the amount of time you dedicate to it. It's best to have more than one resource.
>>
>>16676539
Yeah second hand could be good, someone changes their mind. I wasn't thinking about money just quality.
>>
>>16676541
Then go with Rosetta stone if it's what you want. What language do you want to learn?
>>
>>16676363
They aren't difficult to pirate. It's pretty easy to get version 3 running with plenty of language packs available.

I learned at least a passable amount of Russian from it and have used the Latin packs casually for a bit. I've found that the introductory lessons can be a bit awkward, but once you get through and understand how it's going to teach you, it's much easier.

Really though, the best way to learn a language is to immerse yourself in it where it's spoken.
>>
>>16676552
I tried to pirate moonspeak Rosetta Stone (in b4 weeb) and managed to brick my laptop. It was in bad shape already but still.
>>
>>16676363
They are fine for some languages, not so for others. Generally speaking, European languages will be fine. Forget about Japanese or Chinese though, for that you need real lessons because those languages are just too different.

I've used a pirated Rosetta Stone for German and Russian and it works fine for both.
>>
>>16676285
Probably Mandarin, asians everywhere (specially on high positions). But not a lot of non-asians that speak mandarin, so I would say Spanish.
>>
french

mostly because i live in france
>>
>>16676734
Typical French attitude.

to OP: go for German, Arabic, Chinese, Russian
>>
Spanish, because I'm American and I've had useful conversations with people who work in stereotypical illegal Mexican immigrant jobs. Landscaping, housekeepers, janitors, etc. I'll try in English first but if they're not comfortable or even able then it's easy enough to accommodate.
>>
>>16676285
Java
>>
>>16676285
I live in California, so knowing Spanish has kept me consistently employed. 10/10 language to know.

Also, this:
>>16677356
>>
klingon
>>
>spanish
spoken in Spain and most of South America
>mandarin
you'll be able to read chinese instructions for random shit you buy
>japanese
you can understand your japanese anime and play untranslated games

That's all I can think of.
>>
File: speak-american.jpg (35 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
speak-american.jpg
35 KB, 500x500
>>16676285
>>
>>16676683
>>16676363

>>16676363
>>16676683

Not only is the structuring different, but you might want further explanation and a breakdown of what exactly you're learning. You won't get that with Rosetta Stone. I tried it for Korean... fucking waste of time. Learning Hangeul is fucking easy to learn, but it doesn't introduce it in the beginning.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.