[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Advice on where to go to college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 357x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 357x237
Hey, guys. I've found a school and program that I like at a school in Tokyo (and no, I'm actually not a weeb, and don't even watch anime).

Recently, my mother said she's against the idea. This happened suddenly, and I kind of felt led on. She wants me to go to the state school.

My high school asks for a parent signature to be able to send my transcript to universities, and to apply.

Financially, I have $10k in a junior savings account or some shit like that. I'm not sure if it's mine or not, but I am 18.

Any suggestions? This is my dream and I don't give a shit about debt. I can work while in school.
>>
Wat do. I don't want my mom deciding four years of my life and therefore the rest of it because of muh feels.
>>
>>16674396
your school can't do that, tell them to fuck off
>>
>>16674396
You're gonna have a hard time adjusting to the new environment of uni alone.
Can't begin to imagine the struggle of an entire new country/culture.
Do you have a solid income to pay for the next four years?
The plane ticket alone will burn through a good chunk of that 10k
Assuming its even yours.
>>
>>16674396
I don't remember having to have my transcripts signed? That doesn't make any sense to me.

A move across the entire world is a big thing, especially since you're only eighteen and presumably have never lived by yourself. Going to a state school is one thing but Japan? I mean, if it's what you really want and are 100% sure you can handle it I'd say sit your mom down and give her the pros and cons.
>>
>>16674739
Ok, good. Didn't make much sense to me since I'm an adult.

>>16674762
I understand what you mean, but I don't think I will. I see the different culture as a learning opportunity and a "draw" rather than a "push."

I'd be willing to work while there. It's about 10k a year. I can't get a loan, right? Fucking annoying.

I don't even know. It was created when I was a kid so I had nothing to do with it, but it is my money in that I handed over to my mom.

Thanks for the reply, though. Put things into perspective a bit. Seems the big issue is the money. Not sure I can pull in like 15k a year part-time over there or get a loan.
>>
>>16674767
Yeah, and I think the points you bring up are the problems she had with the idea. What's annoying, like I said was the change. For example, we were at the phone store last week and they asked if we needed international calling. My mom was like "iddkkkk we'll see later."
>>
Fuck me
>>
>>16674800
Exactly dude. Plus you are gonna have to pay international tuition. On top of having to figure out everything yourself.
Don't let me stop you though, if your up for the challenge then by all means. I personally consider myself a realistic optimist. Looking at your situation I say go to the state uni.
>>
>>16674821
Thanks m8
>>
>>16674821
Yeah, what this guy said.

I personally moved out my sophomore year and did the living and paying for everything myself gig and it is really not easy. And even then I always did have a lot of options to fall back on if something went wrong. You're across the entire world from your support systems.

I think getting a job is going to also be extremely difficult considering you have no degree and I'm presuming that you don't speak, read, or write Japanese. That is gonna be a big stumbling block.
http://www.tofugu.com/2013/01/12/how-to-get-a-job-in-japan/

Anyway, best of luck to you. If I had to suggest a more reasonable option for your situation I'd say go to a state school for a fall semester and then do a study abroad program in the spring.
>>
Go to the state uni for now, you're too young and unprepared, and without an income stream.
You can always transfer overseas, or even do masters or post-grad overseas.
There are always options. If you don't go now doesn't mean you never will. Try thinking a few years ahead at all times.
What if you fail to acclimatise? What if you struggle to find a job? What if you have to come back and wasted $5-10k? Money burns way quicker than you expect. It'd still be ok because you can just apply to unis at home, but you've just wasted $10k. Which isn't a lot by the way. Half a year's living costs I'd say.
>>
>>16674905
Thank you, I truly appreciate it
>>
>>16674977
That's an important reminder, since I may be rushing it right now instead of progressing. Post-grad seems like a great option, since I could actually enroll in a Japanese-based course rather than this English one, which is more prestigious. Plus, I've heard the aid is better. Thanks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.