[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Internship laws
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: machine.jpg (122 KB, 1087x1500) Image search: [Google]
machine.jpg
122 KB, 1087x1500
What 's legal?

It sounds pretty much like slavery to me- if I tell someone it'll take a 2 weeks to train them before I'm gonna pay them, that's fine right?

I can legally string them along for months if I wanted to?

Looking at internship laws and everything is pretty clear: free for all.

Just worried about inventory going missing, and people that can take orders.

I can tell some guy to cook me breakfast and then work him like a dog 8 hours a day?
>>
>>16673575
What kind of future prospects might employment with you open up to them? It's all about incentives when it comes to internships. If working with you can give them transferable experience or references than you can get away with working them hard and expecting them to still show up.

As far as the legality of it goes I have no idea how that works.
>>
Are you talking about hiring someone? Things can get pretty messy legally if you are not paying them. Technically if you don't pay them they are not allowed to do any "real work". Because anything they do is theirs, and since you're not paying them, you don't own their ideas or their work.
>>
>>16673635

Ideas? No. I need people to rip apart scrap machines.

>>16673624

full time job
>>
>>16673575
>>16673677
That'd be a horrible thing to do. I sincerely hope you get legally wrecked if you try this.
>>
>>16673713

It's a horrible thing to do to offer people employment?

Training people takes a few days, and after that, they have you know, a skill.

It's more than you have and it comes with a job.
>>
>>16673718
Employment? They're not going to get paid. Skills? "Ripping apart scrap machines" isn't exactly technical.
>>
>>16673729
>paid

Yes they will.

Hell, I can pay them by machine if you prefer.

>>16673729

I'd like to see you do it. I can process 100 servers before you can take the case lid off one.

What do you do that is technical that someone is willing to pay $$$ for it?
>>
>>16673828
>personal attacks
How typical of con artists getting called out. The illegitimacy of this was established in the first post with gems like "can I legally string them along for months if I wanted too".
>>
>>16673912

*sigh*

It's a give me society anon- people like you want something for nothing.

I can do 50 machines per hour- I'd want someone to do 10 if I was going to pay them and have to waste time training them-

If they do 25, hey, I'll pay them more.

If they do 1 machine an hour, even after 2 days of hand holding? Waste of space, not worth minimum wage so why give them it?

Cost me 100 machines worth of labor to teach them
>>
>>16673677
>Ideas? No. I need people to rip apart scrap machines
It's illegal to have an intern conduct any activity which is financially benificial to the company, either directly or indirectly.

We'll use a pottery shop as an example:

You're allowed to have an intern making the exact same plates that the paid workers do, so that the intern can hone his skills. However, none of the plates made by the intern may be sold by the company - that would be a direct financial benifit. Also, the company isn't allowed to claim ownership of any of his work, so the plates technically belong to the intern.

For the second example, let's say the paid workers can make one plate every hour, but after making three they have to spend an hour cleaning up before they make any more - so in one day they make six sellable plates and spend two hours cleaning. You are allowed to have the intern do the cleaning, but only if the paid worker supervises him the whole time. You can't have the intern do all the cleaning in order to free up the paid worker to make two extra plates a day though - even though he's not taking part in a profitable activity himself, the company is still making more money as a result of the unpaid interns labour. That is an indirect financial benifit.
>>
>>16673935
I thought you were just greedy, but now I'm convinced you're outright sociopathic.

Training someone to do work beneficial to you is not a "waste of time". Training people to do something they've NEVER done before is not "holding their hand". And like it or not, the law doesn't care if you don't think it's "not worth" minimum wage, it's an entitlement for doing labor for you.

I am legitimately troubled by your beliefs, and wish you nothing but ruin if you go this route.
>>
>>16673975

average empoyee can do 10 / hour

i did 45 / hour before making enough money that I don't have to rip machines apart any more

1 hours of my time is worth a whole lot more than 100 hours of someone's time that does 1 an hour

If someone does 25 an hour they can make some real money- $30 an hour.
>>
>>16673975
You don't understand the op's post. Although he has been wording it poorly. I believe he wants to know what he can legally make an intern do not so he can abuse that. But because he doesn't want to waste time on someone that might not be able to do the job fast enough. So he wants to at least get something out of it if he doesn't hire them. He isn't a sociopath he just is trying to avoid the risk of taking on an intern that he will have to eat the cost for
>>
>>16674007
I appreciate that you're trying to see the good in OP, but there are far better ways to prevent hard losses than screwing people over. He could look at applicants' experience and see if it's similar to that or develop a very small "test run" of sorts to see how people would do, kind of like pre-sorts at places like Fed-Ex or UPS.
>>
>>16674073

I started when I was 16, doing this.

I don't care about their qualifications- I care about how many machines they can strip in an hour

There's been lots of people with bachelors in this or that who couldnt take apart enough machines

Best employee does 22/hr- his take home pay is 1850 a week- I need more employees like that.

I don't need more like the last guy I fired- $325 in take home pay /week
>>
>>16674073
He clearly is dealing with machinery there isn't an easy test run he can legally set up. He can't have them take apart machines as an intern because that makes his company profit and is illegal. I don't think I'm seeing the good in him I think you read a few posts wrong and are now looking for the bad
>>
>>16674090
You can try asking your good guy for referrals.

>>16674105
>you read a few posts wrong and are now looking for the bad
What do either of us know about OP as a person other than these few posts? If my only impression of him is bad, that doesn't make my assessment any better or worse than yours.
>>
>>16674121
Except you clearly misunderstood his first post. All his other posts show he doesn't want to abuse a person for personal gain. He just wants to understand what he is legally allowed to do to train them so he doesn't lose my just hiring people. He even said the last guy he hired he needed to fire.
>>
You might want to familiarize yourself with your state's labor and internship laws because there's some variation depending on where your business is located.
>>
>>16674164

I've been doing so. I'm not a lawyer, but my interpretation of the law was do whatever you want.

>>16674105

Yeah exactly.

I WANT the employees to do well, because 1 person that does you know, 5x hours of work a week because he's so fast is a lot better than 5 people capable of x hours a week each.

I will pay the guy times 5 times as much and be happy to do it because he takes up less space.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.